Streaming to CR2020 question

Ok, it seems that this has been talked about at length here, so I apologize for bringing it up again, but their seems to be so many ways to go I’m lost. I’m working on getting a CR2020 that I may likely pair with a set of Polk Audio M 10 speakers and a Mitsubishi LT-5V turntable. I haven’t had a 2020 for years (or any system for that matter) so I’m kind of new to a lot of this.

For now, after I set everything up, I’ll use the system for FM radio some, but would mainly like to stream the music from my iPhone and iPad (and start building a vinyl collection). Someone in my other thread suggested a Chromecast. But I’ve also seen a lot of info on DACs. I won’t be connecting a computer or anything. Will the Chromecast give me close to CD quality sound? I’ve also read about pairing a Teac CDP650, but honestly I don’t think I even have CDs anymore. Not opposed to it but I don’t want to spend more than I have to.

Bottom line will the Chromecast give me what I need? If not what’s the simplest route to go to obtain the highest quality sound? I don’t mind putting a little more money into it to get the best sound but don’t want to spend unnecessarily either.

Thanks again!

It will be better than good FM, but will be as "Hi-Fi" as could be expected from a $30 device.
For higher quality, one option could be a micro PC (like a Nuc) running JRiver through a DAC.
You could control the JRiver via the phone.

I’ve done some more reading tonight and this is what I am going to set up: Apple AirPort Express connected to a FiiO D3 DAC via Toslink optical cable. Then the D3 will mate to the 2020 via RCA cables to the tape input. Should work great with the Polk M10 speakers. Still working on getting all the equipment but will report back after Christmas. Excited to get everything and set it up!

The Chromecast Audio has a combined stereo/optical (mini-TOSLINK) output, but the AirPort might be easier to use with your other Apple devices. Chromecast is designed to stream from network sources, not directly from music stored on your device.

The Chromecast Audio has a combined stereo/optical (mini-TOSLINK) output, but the AirPort might be easier to use with your other Apple devices. Chromecast is designed to stream from network sources, not directly from music stored on your device.

Right. With the AEX it should be just like streaming to a Bluetooth speaker.

I use two Chromecast Audio devices in my home. I have a server in the basement with all my digital flac files on an external hard drive. My main system uses an Android tablet with Plex to stream to a CCA which in turn feeds a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus via Toslink optical. Sounds phenomenal. In my secondary system, I use a Windows laptop with Plex to stream to a CCA which feeds a Yamaha CR-2020 via its internal DAC. It also sounds fantastic. The CCA is very much a hi-fi device and its internal DAC is more than up to the job.

Here are a couple of links that provide detailed analysis of the CCA's internal DAC and its performance via optical:

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio.html

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio_27.html

I use two Chromecast Audio devices in my home. I have a server in the basement with all my digital flac files on an external hard drive. My main system uses an Android tablet with Plex to stream to a CCA which in turn feeds a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus via Toslink optical. Sounds phenomenal. In my secondary system, I use a Windows laptop with Plex to stream to a CCA which feeds a Yamaha CR-2020 via its internal DAC. It also sounds fantastic. The CCA is very much a hi-fi device and its internal DAC is more than up to the job.

Here are a couple of links that provide detailed analysis of the CCA's internal DAC and its performance via optical:

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio.html

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio_27.html

Do you know if they can play synchronized with each other?

AirPort Express works well in most situations. Connect via Mini TOSlink to the DAC. Some DAC's, in particularly with ESS chipsets have difficulties to deal with the jitter. My CD-S3000 refused to cooperate with AirPort Express, while the Paradisea II works perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom