SX-750 Asthetics

turnitup

No, the stereo won’t break the crystal...Oh CRAP!
D48B3ED0-5636-4AA6-9E2C-D7494777B6B0.jpeg 4E0765C1-253B-4D3E-A39C-81D006B2A48E.jpeg 047BE806-1522-4305-AF44-83A66CD77BAE.jpeg I came across a SX-750 probably about 5 years ago. Broken (off) power/speaker pot knob, SS# engraved on the top of the faceplate, lights burned out, and the old vinyl veneer on the case was peeling badly. I’ve seen worse (and refurbished worse), but this was close to a parts deck.

Brought it home, and read up on the notoriously bad power switch, and the difficulty of finding a replacement parts - since virtually all of the SX-750 (and lower model units) suffered from the same original flawed design issue. Virtually all of the units needed power switch repair or replacement. Dusted it off, wrapped it in plastic, and put it in dry dock, where has sit for the last ~5 years.

Long story short, finally found a donor power switch, and started the repair process. Ground off the SS# number with a rotary metal brush. Ordered new veneer, and new LED replacement lights. Finished everything tonight, and hope to set it up for it’s debut soon. Fun to bring something back from the brink, that really deserves it. It needs to have the caps replaced, but that is for another day...

Last edited:
turnitup, I agree with slow_jazz. Very nice job on the re-veneer.

I am about 1/2 way through a full restore on a 750. Any tips or tricks regarding the veneer? Did you leave the case intact and just tackle a side at a time? Also, do you mind providing a source for the veneer?

By the way, have you set it up for the "debut" yet?

turnitup, I agree with slow_jazz. Very nice job on the re-veneer.
I am about 1/2 way through a full restore on a 750. Any tips or tricks regarding the veneer? Did you leave the case intact and just tackle a side at a time? Also, do you mind providing a source for the veneer?

By the way, have you set it up for the "debut" yet?

Thanks - I found another thread that referenced the source for the veneer, it ended up being Amazon. It is essentially a vinyl product that comes in a 18” wide by 6-7’ roll. It was cheap too, about $7.00 for a roll (regularly $20+). I ordered cherry, and really didn’t like the look of it until I applied it on the receiver (just didn’t initially look real on the roll). Removed all of the fake wood parts (took every surface completely apart, including removing the black grill) and just used a razor blade and an exacto-knife to recover all parts with the veneer (peeled all of the old off, and cleaned it with alcohol before putting on the new veneer). Really ended up liking the results, it looked a whole lot better that I thought it would.

REAL veneer would have been awesome, but this was a very economical way to get it back very close to the original look. Just take your time, and try to avoid bubbles in the veneer when you apply it. If you do get bubbles, just make a tiny slice and force the air out, it’ll be completely invisible.

I’ve got a ton of the veneer left over for other projects too...

Hooked it up last weekend, and it performed great!

If you dig a little I’m sure that you can find the thread in here, sorry I don’t have reference to it for you.

Last edited:
It does look great, but don't put anything on top of the vent. It's there to let heat rise out and can't do that if it's blocked.

Yes, good catch - just moved the fiber-optic lamp back a bit to show off the new vinyl. It was moved again after the pics. Thanks for the accolades everyone. It was a “relatively” easy project that cost just a few dollars (and a couple of hours work). If you’ve got banged up looking gear and some time on your hands, it’s not a bad way to go.

At some point I’m going to try the real-deal wood veneer, that’d really look sweet!

Last edited:
At some point I’m going to try the real-deal wood veneer, that’d really look sweet![/QUOTE]

Yes, me too. I'd love to have a decent break from work and start getting into some of my projects that have been "sitting".. :(

I have aa750 Im' restoring as well. Broken off power switch too. Can't find a new one anywhere. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom