Where should you place your best Power Cord?

Amazon shipping sucks anymore if you don't have Prime....and I think it is on purpose. If you don't pay for Prime, you never know when your order will ship or arrive regardless of what they said when you ordered. I ordered my first 3 cables thru Audio Advisor but ordered the last 2 from Amazon because I got 5% back from Discover by the end of 2017.

So when I ordered, they both said In Stock and Arriving Jan 2-5. The PS Audio did ship last Friday so I made the 5% cash back, but as of last night, the Pangea cable still said Arriving Jan 5 but was not even shipped so I cancelled it and will reorder from AA for quick delivery. There is no way I would have seen it Friday if it wasn't even shipped yet. After I cancelled the order, I called back to check on the total for just the one cable plus tax. The idiot tells me that the cable I just cancelled was not cancelled and that she would go ahead and cancel it. 5 minutes earlier, I got a email confirming the original cancellation. Then after my second call, I got another confirmation for cancel but this time they listed the PS Audio cable. What friggin Morons they have in Customer Support!

My wife just called to say that the PS Audio cable did arrive today so it will be interesting if they really did cancel it and if I get charged. I will re-order the Pangea cable tonight from AA.

I'll be dropping the PS Audio in place connecting my APC to my dedicated line, and I will put the robust cable that came with the APC on my Integra HT receiver and when the Pangea gets here, it will go on the OPPO to round out my 2 systems.

Will keep those interested posted on observations as they come....

Amazon shipping sucks anymore if you don't have Prime....and I think it is on purpose. If you don't pay for Prime, you never know when your order will ship or arrive regardless of what they said when you ordered. I ordered my first 3 cables thru Audio Advisor but ordered the last 2 from Amazon because I got 5% back from Discover by the end of 2017.

So when I ordered, they both said In Stock and Arriving Jan 2-5. The PS Audio did ship last Friday so I made the 5% cash back, but as of last night, the Pangea cable still said Arriving Jan 5 but was not even shipped so I cancelled it and will reorder from AA for quick delivery. There is no way I would have seen it Friday if it wasn't even shipped yet. After I cancelled the order, I called back to check on the total for just the one cable plus tax. The idiot tells me that the cable I just cancelled was not cancelled and that she would go ahead and cancel it. 5 minutes earlier, I got a email confirming the original cancellation. Then after my second call, I got another confirmation for cancel but this time they listed the PS Audio cable. What friggin Morons they have in Customer Support!

My wife just called to say that the PS Audio cable did arrive today so it will be interesting if they really did cancel it and if I get charged. I will re-order the Pangea cable tonight from AA.

I'll be dropping the PS Audio in place connecting my APC to my dedicated line, and I will put the robust cable that came with the APC on my Integra HT receiver and when the Pangea gets here, it will go on the OPPO to round out my 2 systems.

Will keep those interested posted on observations as they come....

Amazon without Prime is like WalMart. What's the point? Just buy direct from PS Audio! Full Disclosure: I'm a total Amazon fanboy. Customer service has always bent over backwards to help me out.

Looking forward t0 hearing your impressions on the cords.

Manny, I should have just ordered again from Audio Advisor since I was getting both a PS Audio and Pangea, but got sucked into the Discover Cashback. I have had most recent Amazon Free Shipping orders take a month or more so I can only assume it's on purpose to get people to shell out for Prime.

Quick update: been listening to classical for a few hours now while I work a bit (it's not a full work week, thankfully ;) ), giving the new outlet a bit of a workout. I do notice more dynamics on some of the recordings I have listened to. Or if not dynamics, things just sound a lot more "solid" if that makes sense. Bass notes and bass drum hits have slightly more weight and control to them.

Scott,

So far, more of the same, nice clear tunes with no grunge or noise. The odd thing with all of it is that it appears that I lost volume, which makes no sense. The only thing I can think of is that the instruments are now more clear and distinct, that more volume just makes it sound better. I can now gain a few clicks on the knobs and still have a conversation.

I used the HT last night with the APC cord attached instead of it's cheapo one and the sound was fuller and clearer.

I was sick all week so did not have a lot of time to listen or evaluate without coughing and sneezing so more to come.

I listened to Jimi Hendrix Electric Lady Land Remaster yesterday and was impressed how it sounded as well as the fact that it is 50 years old this year and is so much better recorded and separated instruments as they do today.

I have to still order the last Pangea from AA this weekend for the OPPO. Just wasn't up on the priority list this week.

Cheers,

Brian

@Wildcat - I ran a dedicated line to a 4-gang box behind my gear. I used 2 of the orange hospital grade outlets, but considering replacing those with Pangea or PS Audio outlets.

How did you handle the isolated ground connection? I've been considering hospital grade outlets but don't necessarily want to run an additional ground wire.

How did you handle the isolated ground connection? I've been considering hospital grade outlets but don't necessarily want to run an additional ground wire.
Well, since I am not an electrician, I just connected it at the box to an empty area of ground strip, so not sure if Iscolated or not, but it mad a big difference over the same line as kitchen.

Brian,

Sounds like things are going well. As I add upgraded power cords I'm hearing what you are hearing. I think the volume thing is the result of the power cords addressing interference issues (whatever they may be, EMI/RFI etc). I'm able to turn the volume up more and as you said it gets bigger and better instead of just louder. There's an ease to the sound. Best I can figure is the new power cords are lowering the noise floor. It's not like my gear sounds different, just better. The lower noise floor brings out better detail/resolution, which brings out better tone and dynamics; very cool.

Glad to hear the AC3 is working well on the APC. I just placed an order for another cord for my amp. When I receive it I'm going to put the the cord currently on the amp on my H15. My system will then have all upgraded power cords. Really looking forward to it.

There's a synergy with the new power cords and my system as well. For about three years I had an upgraded power cord from a well respected/reviewed company. It wasn't until I replaced that cord that my system really started coming together. That aspect of cables is a pain.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott, do you mind telling what cables you are running? If I had more to throw at this right now, I would have just went Shunyata as suggested by everyone at Audio Shark.

Now that I know it's for real, I can dabble further in the future when funds are different. The fact that the cheaper cords at least give you a very decent taste, I am still happy.

The way you described the changes are pretty much exactly what I am hearing. I'm still stunned that it is this real.

Brian,

Sure, I'm using all Cullen Cable power cords. It's interesting, I've been on the exact course as yours. I had pretty much decided to go with the Delta series of cables from Shunyata; but after months of indecision and wrestling with budget constraints I started looking into more affordable options. I just wasn't comfortable spending that kind of money.

With smaller direct to consumer companies out there like Signal Cable, Audio Art and others I settled in and did more months of reading and inquiring. Cullen Cable kept popping up. They are not as high profile or have as many reviews as other cable companies but Patrick Cullen has an extensive background in the audio industry. That ultimately led me to go with them.

I purchased one power cord for my amp and it made such a dramatic positive impact on my system that I decided to get another cord for my streamer; again, more improvements. I have just placed an order for Cullen's top power cord for my amp as well as their speaker cables.

The Cullen power cords and cables have met my expectations to the extent that I'm content with the performance and sound of my system. And they have done it within a budget that I'm very comfortable with. That has been a huge plus. I may be able to achieve even better sound but the thought of what it would cost keeps me from pursuing it at this time.

I also looked closely at the Pangea and PS Audio line of power cords. I have no doubt you are getting great results with them as well.

Check out the Cullen website and read the "about" page and take a look their offerings. Patrick Cullen's father, Rick, has an extensive history with PS Audio; and Patrick worked with Rick for many years. I'd love to know what you think of their cables.

http://www.cullencable.com/about-us/

Keep me posted on your cable journey. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited:
So far, more of the same, nice clear tunes with no grunge or noise. The odd thing with all of it is that it appears that I lost volume, which makes no sense. The only thing I can think of is that the instruments are now more clear and distinct, that more volume just makes it sound better. I can now gain a few clicks on the knobs and still have a conversation.
That is strange, as I had the same impression on mine. I think I mentioned that earlier in this thread, except I noticed this the most when I changed the wall outlet to a hospital grade. The power amp is still running on its own cord for now, though, but everything still is going through the conditioner, and that has been in the system for months now. The digital source and preamp now have AC-3s.

As I add upgraded power cords I'm hearing what you are hearing. I think the volume thing is the result of the power cords addressing interference issues (whatever they may be, EMI/RFI etc).
I agree--it must be subtly lowering some noise or distortion there that we'd heard before. I

With smaller direct to consumer companies out there like Signal Cable, Audio Art and others I settled in and did more months of reading and inquiring. Cullen Cable kept popping up.
DH Labs is another one that has a couple of "value" options, and I had looked at those also. https://silversonic.com/products/power-cables/ Cullen is a good company for certain--they were on my short list for new cables, and Rick Cullen was known for his circuitry.

I went with the PS Audio mainly because I came across some really good deals on used cables from various sources. If I would have had to pay full price, it probably would have ended in a coin toss between DH Labs and Cullen, as well as making my own using bulk cable from DH Labs or another couple of sources. It just ended up costing only a little more to get an already finished cord.

In my main system, it seemed sensible to hook up my 200wpc Denon amp with my heaviest-gauge power cord (14 gauge). Having seen the power cords on some high-power amps, I don't get worry about it, though.

Your power amplifier with its larger power supply puts demands on your ac that source components do not. Put your best cord on the power amp.

If you acquire a new cord and using it results in an image shift to hard left or right, or images become diffuse with a change of tonality, it is likely that the manufacturer reversed the pos and neg legs. Some are sloppy that way. Speaking of reversed polarity, with a lot of equipment the transformers are wired in reverse. The give away is a thin lower midrange.

Good listening...

I’ll chime in because I recently got an upgraded power cable, Audioquest NRG-4, to go on my dac. I broke in new Rocket 44 speaker cables at the same time. I’ve got upgraded power cables on my amp and pre already.

I’m getting the volume effect some have mentioned. Turning it up doesn’t have the same result now. The sound gets “ bigger “ or more immersive instead, which is really neat. I still want another power cable for the CD player, and Cullen looks tempting with their Crossover series.

These hospital grade outlets grip the plugs much firmer than the standard $1 wall outlets most homes have. It's not a dedicated line, but it's a start.

Heck, many of us who live in older homes could stand to replace all of our outlets. They get loose with age and even if you don't opt for an 'audiophile' solution this is a big but simple step which would likely pay dividends. I hate loose outlets! Some of mine won't even hold plugs very well, so I know another springtime home-improvement task ahead.

Heck, many of us who live in older homes could stand to replace all of our outlets. They get loose with age and even if you don't opt for an 'audiophile' solution this is a big but simple step which would likely pay dividends.
That's a good idea. For safety reasons, I am tempted to replace a couple of the kitchen outlets with hospital-grade outlets, mainly those that draw a lot of current such as a toaster oven or microwave. Poor contact can result in excessive heat.

It surprises me that both Home Depot and Lowe's don't stock even on hospital grade outlet at their stores. (I didn't check Menard's.) They claim some of theirs are "commercial duty" but we have no idea what that means. If I could find a good bulk deal somewhere I would be tempted to replace a few around here. And while I'm at it, fix the outlets in the kitchen which are mounted upside down.

Your best power cord needs to go where you can see it from your listening position and easily point it out to friends. An "out of sight - out of mind" approach makes power cords angry and you won't hear any improvement at all.

My instinct says that they cleaner the power is closer to the source, the better. Nasties in the signal will be amplified as they move through the system.

I've been wondering about upgrading the receptacles as well. It just so happens that the electrical panel is in my listening room, so eventually I'd like to run some dedicated lines for the audio system and I'll probably upgrade the outlets at the same time.

Willy, I suspect that your instincts are good. I believe that the huge transformer(relatively speaking) in an amp provides a degree of separation from noise in the AC. That same transformer can do nothing about noise coming in on the interconnects.

Back
Top Bottom