Coffee. Anything coffee related.

Bonavita: the everyday go to, great coffee maker for the money.

Aero press: As close to good Italian espresso that you can make at home without an expensive machine.

Hario pour over: Hard to beat a clean pour over.

Bodem press: rarely use but sometimes get a taste for it.

Turkish: once in awhile I get a taste for that or need some serious mainline caffeine.

Epica hot water pot for accurate hot water.
Only Zero filtered or purified water are ever used.

Coffee of choice, Espesso, Italian roast dark roast, or any single origin are favorites.

Hey, I’m Italian, I love coffee! ;-)”

View attachment 1081710

Did you hear about the Italians when the found outt there was no "real" coffee in space? Just freeze dried.
Full stop.
They said "What! We have a problem"
They teamed up with Lavazza and space agency Argotec to create espresso in space.
Lol.
http://m.lavazza.com/en/coffee-passion/coffee-tales/the-first-espresso-in-outer-space/
Well, we had tang and they have coffee. Not a bad combo.

celebrates a morning of normal coffee building, without all of the comedy of errors to mess with it.
ahh,... the tea pot thingy just clicked off. Its time to celebrate this little miracle of coffee.
goes and builds a press full.

good day all!

The GF/SO and I are on the second pot this AM, brewed up in good old Mt. Vesuvius.

Mt. Vesuvius is the nickname I gave to my Bunn Phase Brew coffee maker. It starts quiet, then ramps up on burbling and boiling noises, getting louder and louder, over the course of 4 min or so. Then, it finally "erupts" and releases hot water over the grounds.

Practice material that was included in the purchase of the Behmor 1600+.

The 2lbs Guatemala was an bonus gift. I picked the Rwanda over several other choices. I like the African stuff and figured I'd try that instead of Kenya, or the other choices of Colombian, Costa Rica, etc., etc.

View attachment 1081868
Enjoy and roast 1/4 lbs batches at first to keep losses at a minimum

I use a slightly modified Hot Air Popcorn Popper to roast my own beans.
Found and use a West Bend Poppery 1 some years back.
I like to explore the world of coffee roasting.

The cheap commercial stuff is to watered down, for lack of better wording.
The burnt coffee they make at Starbucks is not to my liking.
Pete's Coffee makes some coffees I like though.
The boutique coffee shops can get expensive, hence I roast my own.

Did my first (Behmor) 1/4 lb a little bit ago. It actually went pretty well using a manual roast. Next time though I think I might cut back the power a little sooner.

Did you hear about the Italians when the found outt there was no "real" coffee in space? Just freeze dried.
Full stop.
They said "What! We have a problem"
They teamed up with Lavazza and space agency Argotec to create espresso in space.
Lol.
http://m.lavazza.com/en/coffee-passion/coffee-tales/the-first-espresso-in-outer-space/
Well, we had tang and they have coffee. Not a bad combo.
Ah the Italians! I should know my mother’s maiden name is Giovanola. My son, the HALO jumper, was on a joint SF exercise in Africa. The Italians brought the wine, pallets and pallets of it.

Need to cut back 15 seconds before 1C which should be at around 8 min if using P5. This helps slow the roast to 2C if you are letting it go that far.

Here’s a tip - if you input 1 > B > P2 you get 18 min, but 1 > P2 > B gives you 20 min. You can still add the max amount of extra time so you get an 2 minutes of total roast time. I usually let it go to 5:00 remaining then add the max extra time and go manual. I also use 15 oz instead of a pound.

Need to cut back 15 seconds before 1C which should be at around 8 min if using P5. This helps slow the roast to 2C if you are letting it go that far.

Generally speaking I'm City/City+ boy; 1C or just a touch past is good for me. On rare occasion maybe a Full City roast, which is about where this first one ended, but usually not going for the darker roast.

Last edited:
Tell me about your grinder, please.
The grinder is a Kitchen Aid A9...it`s a re-pop of the 1930`s original. Decent quality, I only run it for about 60 seconds at a time, otherwise it starts getting a bit warm. I keep a small brush and a sharpened popsicle stick on hand to clean the discharge chute every couple months. The knurled ring just below the glass jar provides the adjustment for coarseness of grind. Had it for around 3 years now, seems to work pretty well.

I had to check out what I have. It's been so long, 10+ years that I didn't remember. It's a pretty basic set-up. A re-branded Saeco espresso machine and Baratza Maestro burr grinder.

Grind coffee > put in porta filter > push button. Tutto finito!

I highly recommend the Maestro. It will do coarse grinds down to super fine for Turkish coffee.

Back
Top Bottom