Internet Radio Stations

Not too bad. I'm playing the "roots" station which is 40's through the 80's. I kinda wish they'd go back to the 20's with Jimmie Rodgers and the Carter Family, but this will do for background. I think I have almost everything they've played so far, but it's better than having to program it myself when I'm busy. Thanks again!

Not too bad. I'm playing the "roots" station which is 40's through the 80's. I kinda wish they'd go back to the 20's with Jimmie Rodgers and the Carter Family, but this will do for background. I think I have almost everything they've played so far, but it's better than having to program it myself when I'm busy. Thanks again!

Yeah, It's ok for a free service.

Eric

Yeah, It's ok for a free service.

Eric
It's a trade off whichever way ya go, I reckon. Pandora has Jimmie Rodgers, Carter Family, Gene Autry, and others of that era, but so far, I like the better variety of this station.

Clue a fella in on some good stations that will play country anywhere from the 20's through the 90's'
Part of the SomaFM family of stations, try Boot Liquor.

bootliquor-400.jpg
Americana Roots music for Cowhands, Cowpokes and Cowtippers. :)

SomaFM has a nice selection of stations but they are always one fund drive away from going under.

I'm a little late to the game but thought I might contribute two of my favorite NY metro OTA stations that also stream on the internet. I've missed them since we moved and recently discovered internet radio via Tunein and Vtuner. I found Iheart a bit "bloated". I may never worry about putting up an antenna again.

Jazz - WBGO, 88.3 on your FM dial.
Classical - WQXR - 105.9

Also, there are college stations like WSOU, WFDU, and WKCR but they can't really be considered genre specific.

The area has a gazillion others but nothing that I can't live without.

I'm open to suggestions for similar stations.

And, yes, I love Pandora Plus. I've used that for years and have fine tuned several genre specific radio stations.

When it comes down to the bit rate/sound versus the musical content, the later will win every time, unless it sounds totally awful..

Jazz - WBGO, 88.3 on your FM dial.
Classical - WQXR - 105.9

Listening to John Pizzarelli’s Radio Deluxe show right now on WQXR/WNYC, via the innerwebs. Johnathan Schwartz’s show was also a regular Saturday listen around these parts, until he got caught up in the scandal. Too bad, he loved the Great American Songbook, and promoted plenty of unknown singers during his tenure. Will miss his show.

Listening to John Pizzarelli’s Radio Deluxe show right now on WQXR/WNYC, via the innerwebs. Johnathan Schwartz’s show was also a regular Saturday listen around these parts, until he got caught up in the scandal. Too bad, he loved the Great American Songbook, and promoted plenty of unknown singers during his tenure. Will miss his show.
Bummer!:no:

I was thinking about starting a thread like this, but I found this thread. Here's my input.

Commercial Free
WPFW FM 89.3 commercial free, but the fund raising drive can be annoying.
I've been listening to this station (FM and/or net) for years now.
Blues: M-F 12-1pm, Sat. 12-2pm
Live@5: M--F 5-6pm live music played in their studio.
Jazz: M-F 7pm-till ?
Sunday is an all day affair with G-Strings, other great music, Latin Jazz, and Reggae
Listen live on the net, click on the heading "Listen!":
http://wpfwfm.org/radio/
They also archive their shows, some down loadable, some are only available for 2 weeks:
http://wpfwfm.org/radio/programming/archived-shows

Just found this today.

Commercial Free
XRDS.fm Clarksdale, Mississippi
NO commercials- been listening to Blues all day
https://www.internet-radio.com/station/xrds/

PS: I'm getting sick of XM Sirius price gouging.

I’ll chime in as a late arrivee.
I’m generally into prog rock, regular rock (60’s and 70’s) and blues.
Been getting into app based stations like Morrow.com, The Blues Alley and one called Rock Radio that lists a bunch of internet stations. Such as Pink Floyd FreeForm, Beatles - 181.fm, and one of my favorites 70s Rock XYZ from Canada.
If anyone has some prog rock suggestions I would love to hear them. Morrow gets a little squishy at times.

Jazz fans should tune into WRTI-FM Mon/Fri. 6:00 to 9:00 PM Eastern. BP with the GM is a Philadelphia-area treasure of long standing. (Bob Perkns with the Good Music). WRTI is the Temple University station, 50 percent jazz and 50 percent classical. HD 1 and 2 alternate between each genre every 12 hours

Back
Top Bottom