MC225 rusty crusty need restoring

tuffstuff1

I got my second one the other day. Now I have two that need complete resto. I have two brand new chassis for them too. I was going to try to swap all the guts out myself and then send them off to a tech, but it seems a little back asswards to put it all in just to take some parts out. Can anyone suggest a tech that can do the whole job, chassis swap and all? Thanks a lot and Happy New Year to all.

I got my second one the other day. Now I have two that need complete resto. I have two brand new chassis for them too. I was going to try to swap all the guts out myself and then send them off to a tech, but it seems a little back asswards to put it all in just to take some parts out. Can anyone suggest a tech that can do the whole job, chassis swap and all? Thanks a lot and Happy New Year to all.
Hey Frank - how are you? I would agree with you strategy here but unsure who to refer you to. @c_dk isnt too far from you in MI, maybe hit him up.

How do the transformers look? I'm thinking if the original chassis are crusty the transformers might need refurbishing as well. Someone makes new decals for the top for several models, maybe they have them for the MC225 as well. If that is the case I would remove them and do a first class job of repainting them or have an autobody shop do them for you.
With new chassis, dull scratched up transformers will look out of place. Might as well do a full restore.

BillWojo

Hey Frank - how are you? I would agree with you strategy here but unsure who to refer you to. @c_dk isnt too far from you in MI, maybe hit him up.

Hi Tony-better every day. The family got through the holidays but just not the same without my brother/partner. It's like someone chopped our heads off. You just never think this will happen to you, but you meet people and find out you are not alone. It's amazing how many people deal with tragedy in their lives and you don't know it until you are there yourself. Anyway, you have to be Tuff and people don't want to see you sad because it makes them sad.

Anyway, I've decided to make these amps mint, like brand new and maybe a custom touch like pin striped or something. The new chassis are sweet and I know I am going to sink some scratch into these and want them done right like a riddler award winner.

How do the transformers look? I'm thinking if the original chassis are crusty the transformers might need refurbishing as well. Someone makes new decals for the top for several models, maybe they have them for the MC225 as well. If that is the case I would remove them and do a first class job of repainting them or have an autobody shop do them for you.
With new chassis, dull scratched up transformers will look out of place. Might as well do a full restore.

I know. The transformers are kind of crappy too. I need to find decals. Whomever want to take this project on can send the transformers back to me and I can paint them like you say.

You might want to send em to Yves Beauvais at vintage vacuum Audio for the full works, he will rechrome the original chassis which are usually made of a thicker grade stee than the repros. Check on eBay for his restoration listings under mekons. He did a set of Mc 60’s for me which turned out great!

Mije Samra is a very good McIntosh tech.He rebuilt a 240 and 275 for me which are beyond great sounding.

You might want to send em to Yves Beauvais at vintage vacuum Audio for the full works, he will rechrome the original chassis which are usually made of a thicker grade stee than the repros. Check on eBay for his restoration listings under mekons. He did a set of Mc 60’s for me which turned out great!

This was my thought as well.
A good tech can make them sing.
(Really the magic is there and all you have to do is let it out)
The cosmetics are another skill set.
Many here do good clean up work.
Few are as thorough as Yves for the outside:thumbsup:

The repros are the same thickness and are a better steel than the originals.

The repros are the same thickness and are a better steel than the originals.

Thanks for the input everyone. Glad you chimed in Joe. Yes, I compared yours to the original and they look the same thickness and beautiful chrome and lettering. That is why I bought the second one from you. Can I ask why you decided to discontinue them? Also, I thought it would be really cool if someone made a slip cover for all models rather than going through all the trouble of swapping all the guts.I would go for that.

Thanks for the input everyone. Glad you chimed in Joe. Yes, I compared yours to the original and they look the same thickness and beautiful chrome and lettering. That is why I bought the second one from you. Can I ask why you decided to discontinue them? Also, I thought it would be really cool if someone made a slip cover for all models rather than going through all the trouble of swapping all the guts.I would go for that.

It was a mutual decision between me and my manufacturing partner. We were trying to get more consistent and it was also time to order more pre-chromed steel. With the possibility of some competition coming on line and the costs of a minimum order of steel, we just decided it was a good time to call it quits. The chassis I've been listing are left overs and some of my personal stash.

Today I received some pictures of new MC75 chassis that Clinique Audio in France is manufacturing. I'm not sure what other models he sell's but they look to be of good quality and the silk screening looks great. Might be another avenue.

BillWojo

I own my own polishing and chrome plating shop. I could have polished and chromed them, but then the screening? Would he do the silk screening too or just leave it off? Just curious. I have the two new chassis in hands and maybe I'll get hold of Yves now.

Back
Top Bottom