Looking for best sound recommendations when using Android mobile devices.

skud007

Currently, I just use the standard 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA converter when streaming Pandora or other streaming services using my Nexus 7 tablet. I have noticed that one of my favorite streaming stations is now streaming in FLAC. I haven't tried the FLAC stream yet so I don't know how it sounds. I also have alot of music on my computer that I will transfer to the tablet to play. Is this setup going to provide the best sound or can I do better?

I've been kicking around the idea of using a OTG cable and some sort of usb DAC like the Topping D20 or a Dragonfly. Not sure if it will work or what kind of results I will get. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I vote for a DAC/amp. Android's sound implementation is more appropriate to telephones than headphones.

The schiit fulla 2 is a big step up from the headphone jack. in your case, it should help to use it or a similar one that can be powered independently of the USB port that audio is being sent to, to conserve battery.

Also, when you're at home, if you set your computer up to share the music rather than copying it, and get Bubble or another DLNA app running on your tablet you can access all of those tunes without having to copy them.

I have used an OTG Cable with a FiiO E10K. The only issue with this is that the DAC gets its power from the tablet. This was more an exercise in "can I do it?" - have not listened for long periods.

I haven't really looked for a battery powered DAC.

Chromecast Audio. Add a DAC later if you wish.

Eric
I thought about this, but don't really see an advantage from just plugging in my device with the 3.5 jack to rca adapter and into the aux input. I may be missing something?

I vote for a DAC/amp. Android's sound implementation is more appropriate to telephones than headphones.

The schiit fulla 2 is a big step up from the headphone jack. in your case, it should help to use it or a similar one that can be powered independently of the USB port that audio is being sent to, to conserve battery.

Also, when you're at home, if you set your computer up to share the music rather than copying it, and get Bubble or another DLNA app running on your tablet you can access all of those tunes without having to copy them.
I am totally new to the whole DAC scene and have been reading alot of other threads about them. The Schitt Fulla 2 looks interesting.

I will be using this set up only at home on my home stereo systems, so thanks for the suggestion on Bubble or other app to access the music on my computer. I guess my biggest question is: Does the charging port mini usb to larger usb or OTG cable or adaptor work for DACs ?

I have used an OTG Cable with a FiiO E10K. The only issue with this is that the DAC gets its power from the tablet. This was more an exercise in "can I do it?" - have not listened for long periods.

I haven't really looked for a battery powered DAC.

That makes sense. I think I would be looking for a DAC that has a power adaptor. How did you like this set up?

CCA sounds better than a tablet.

I use HiFi Cast to stream to a CCA that is hooked up to a Topping D30 DAC. Can access all my music from a Laptop and a PC.

Miles.jpg

Also the CCA is great for Spotify, Tidal etc or for just streaming the contents of a Chrome Tab, Like Internet radio.

Eric

I will be using this set up only at home on my home stereo systems, so thanks for the suggestion on Bubble or other app to access the music on my computer. I guess my biggest question is: Does the charging port mini usb to larger usb or OTG cable or adaptor work for DACs ?

The fulla2 has two mini USB ports. the power port just needs a powered USB socket. The audio port needs an OTG cable if connected to an android device. A vanilla cable if used as a DAC with a PC.

There is no battery in the F2, which is too bad - when using it as a portable, a battery would be nice. It can get enough power via OTG to run off my phone or tablet, at some cost to battery life.

I like the cordless idea so I think I will go with CCA. Does the DAC make that noticble difference? If so I would run the CCA with the 3.5 mm into the headphone part of the DAC and then the rca outputs of the DAC into the aux of my Yammie CR-1020? I shouldn't need any kind of usb adapter?

I'm also going to get my DAC feet wet with the Fiio Taishan D03K. Thanks for all the input and help!
I used one of these for at least the last year to connect TV sound to my preamp. It performed this function admirably.

Alan

Thanks for all the help everyone! I have everything hooked up and it sounds nice! I'm not sure if I can tell a difference with the Fiio or not. I haven't really listened for an extended period of time with just the Chromecast or with the Fiio added in the mix. Maybe I'll do a A/B comparison between the two setups. I really enjoy not having to get up to skip or change channels on the device playing!

Aw man!, and to access all my music without having to do it the old school way of transferring between devices is awesome! Not that I'm all that old, but I used to be pretty up on the technological stuff. This is so easy!

your next component may be a NAS - much less power use than a PC, you can back up to it, store your music on it, and add more CCAs to additional listening rigs that don't already have networked disk players handy.

I have a synology with 6 terabytes of storage, and each system can reach it. I can transfer a running playlist from the living room to the office or bedroom, and as a file packrat, I have access to work product going back to 2002 off of it. if I hadn't had a theft and a media failure before moving to the NAS, it'd go another 8 years.

Back
Top Bottom