I think I will replace them just for piece of mind.

Here is the B-1, I will strip everything.

I was gonna say..
Yes that is the way to go. That is what I did with my unit for the Quickie, albeit, I would not call it a full rebuild.
The next B-1 I will do 'll be my Hot-Rod B-1 with silver front plate. That will be a full rebuild. I plan on eliminating all but two of the relays, by pass all input switches and the rumble filter, new speaker posts, a proper power cord for 1kVA and I even found a good cleaning "solution" for all board edge-connectors :D

IMG_20180106_182955183 (1).jpg

I was gonna say..
Yes that is the way to go. That is what I did with my unit for the Quickie, albeit, I would not call it a full rebuild.
The next B-1 I will do 'll be my Hot-Rod B-1 with silver front plate. That will be a full rebuild. I plan on eliminating all but two of the relays, by pass all input switches and the rumble filter, new speaker posts, a proper power cord for 1kVA and I even found a good cleaning "solution" for all board edge-connectors :D

View attachment 1083015

I came across this site for the board connectors. But will try to clean the original first.

https://www.surplussales.com/ComputerAccess/con_edge.html

continued...
View attachment 1064080 View attachment 1064082
here I committed the ultimate sin by a certain someone's standard in terms of replacement components choice....I promise to repent :p

also...ran out of silver heatsinks so I went to black instead.

View attachment 1064095 View attachment 1064098

View attachment 1064102

on the driver boards I will replace all carbon resistors and ALL caps. I found some of the R&Cs way out of spec. I already started the process.Waiting for parts...

Other changes I did so far was to replace all known trouble maker semis such as the 2sc 458s on the PSU boards and the 2sa810s on the driver boards.

Hi Pete,

What did you use for the 2SA-810 and 2SC1452 on the driver board?

I can see you replaced them.

KSC3503D/KSA1381E (no longer available with same rank)
or
KSC2690AY/KSA1220AY

either would work
The first pair no longer available with same rank
Second pair a bit higher Cob than the originals
Either would work and be more reliable that the original

These are TO-126 devices so watch the heigth. Also know that I have a patent on those heatsinks. Can't use the same kind without special permissinon :)
your only choice is to go with a la Amp8 version:D:D
Amp8 version of heatsinks.PNG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom