Infinity RS3b's Why so harsh sounding and virtually no bass?

Mine was the same way.

The original owner, poor guy, paid good money to have them reformed, and never got to hear them hooked up properly.

Does anyone have a preferred setting for the rear panel attenuators? I currently have them set half way (or straight up).

Last edited:
It looks like that foam is meant to be acoustically transparent, which is exactly what you don't want - the foam around the mids and tweeters is meant to be acoustically absorbent. Wouldn't closed-cell foam be a better bet?

It looks like that foam is meant to be acoustically transparent, which is exactly what you don't want - the foam around the mids and tweeters is meant to be acoustically absorbent. Wouldn't closed-cell foam be a better bet?

The foam that I rubbed off of my IIIA's was open cell, but although it looked original, I cant swear that it was. I have never replaced the foam, as I am not an audiophile, and I couldn't hear a difference with or without the foam.

Yes, I would think that the foam would need to be acoustically absorbent otherwise why would there have been foam there in the first place? Absorbency should also help with the slight brightness of this model I would think.

I think this is the foam you want: http://www.thefoamfactory.com/opencellfoam/filter.html
You would want the 1/4 " height. The PE link above is for 1/2" height, which in my opinion would be too thick.
The firm charcoal open cell foam is a better acoustic choice in this application. The filter/speaker foam is fairly acoustically transparent, so will not do much to attenuate reflections from the cabinet. Link: http://www.thefoamfactory.com/opencellfoam/charcoal-F.html

The firm charcoal open cell foam is a better acoustic choice in this application. The filter/speaker foam is fairly acoustically transparent, so will not do much to attenuate reflections from the cabinet. Link: http://www.thefoamfactory.com/opencellfoam/charcoal-F.html
LOL I am listening to them right now with my newly acquired Pink Floyd SACD dark side of the moon. I have decreased slightly the attenuation of both mid and high using the rear panel controls due to brightness. Wondering if the foam will help with this?

LOL I am listening to them right now with my newly acquired Pink Floyd SACD dark side of the moon. I have decreased slightly the attenuation of both mid and high using the rear panel controls due to brightness. Wondering if the foam will help with this?
Good chance it will. I run my IIIb's with both level controls in the neutral position (i.e. 12 o'clock) and they sound pretty balanced. Infinity put that anti-diffraction pad around the Polydome and EMIT for a reason.

Good chance it will. I run my IIIb's with both level controls in the neutral position (i.e. 12 o'clock) and they sound pretty balanced. Infinity put that anti-diffraction pad around the Polydome and EMIT for a reason.
I agree, they did it for a reason, and I will replace that foam that is basically missing on mine. I'm also noticing it depends a lot on the source material, and this of course would apply to any speaker. I am currently listening to Susannah McCorkle and they sound superb with all controls dialed down by one "dot". Piano and vocals are very enjoyable! They are really quite remarkable sounding speakers.

I used the type Tedrick mentioned, from Foam-factory.
it's a chore to cut the edges nice and straight, PATIENCE.
you''ll have enough to do them 2 or 3 times anyway. :thumbsup:
I also ran mine w/ level controls at 12.

BEWARE: Your Infinity quest has begun !!!!!!!!!!!

my 2 cents Stu

WOW
Thank You Ausman1000 !!!!
Was hanging out with Ausman1000 today talking about our stereo addiction. I mentioned that I had a set of the infinity’s and he sent me here. I have never been happy with the bass response of this speaker and had resorted to subwoofers. I pulled the speakers out tonight and found that whoever refoamed them had switched the wires, yep poor previous owner had paid good money, wondering why he couldn’t tell the difference?
Anyway Ausman I owe you big time, sounds great now.

WOW
Thank You Ausman1000 !!!!
Was hanging out with Ausman1000 today talking about our stereo addiction. I mentioned that I had a set of the infinity’s and he sent me here. I have never been happy with the bass response of this speaker and had resorted to subwoofers. I pulled the speakers out tonight and found that whoever refoamed them had switched the wires, yep poor previous owner had paid good money, wondering why he couldn’t tell the difference?
Anyway Ausman I owe you big time, sounds great now.
Yep, I must have acquired a handful+ of tossed-to-the curb Infinitys because they "sounded bad".
Not only do they lack bass mis-wired but actually they sound really horrible.

Back
Top Bottom