What's with this EIGHT?

VINTAGEO

Newbie in New B.
20171215_175443.jpg 20171215_175419.jpg 20171215_175537.jpg I picked up a beautiful condition Sansui model Eight receiver a few weeks ago and started playing it and found it didn't sound very good at all, one channel was kind of scratchy and the other sounded flat. made me wonder what all the hype was about..
I opened it up and noticed a blown fuse, so I replaced it with a smaller one to make sure no damage was done. Put it back together, and still left channel is not working, hmmm?
So I check the fuse in the back of the unit and IT'S blown, so I do the same thing, replace with smaller one.
Voila! Sound glorious Sound!
I did a video comparing the Eight to my highly regarded JVC Super Digifine AX-Z1010 and the results are, well surprising!
Doesn't this little receiver know it's a receiver? Not a high powered amp..Apparently this little receiver doesn't know it's place in the audio order of things!
I now know what the hype is about, and I never have replaced the fuses and it's been 3 weeks!
I do intend to do a full recap at some point, as soon as I can get caught up with other projects.

Here's a link:

Cool vid.

It's a Sansui man. Recap that ol Eight and it will smoke your head yet again.

Thanks for sharing!

I've had several Sansuis, AU-517, AU-7500, AU/TU-317, 2000x, 771, But this is SPECIAL!!
Does anyone know what this receiver benches at? Rated at 60 wpc, but I beg to differ, seems like quite a bit more!

Last edited:
There were a number of production changes made during the production of the Eight. Does yours have a protection relay? Is the face plate engraved? Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

There were a number of production changes made during the production of the Eight. Does yours have a protection relay? Is the face plate engraved? Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete
No relay, I believe it is engraved, and according to the database list, it is the oldest so far, I just added info there.

I've added it to the list for the January report. It is the earliest example we have on file and pushes the earliest documented production back one month to November '70. By coincidence, there is another post this morning with an Eight also built in November '70. It is #0369 built that month, yours is #0333. Yours is earlier by 36 units. Neither of these units will have the protection relay and both will have engraved face plates.

He's having an issue you may be able to answer. Check out his thread.

- Pete

I answered, not sure if I helped though, lol
That's great to hear that mine is engraved, do you happen to know the output of it now that we know the production run?
Thanks Dan

Unless you are well versed in vintage repair, you would be best to have someone rehab your 8 when the time comes, or as a preventative method. The inside is very well packed and difficult to get around. I know some about repair and did a bias/DC offset check on my eight, but, after seeing the complexity of the internal components layout, I chose not to try any repair myself. I got at least 10 good years of glorious reproduction out of her before she died on me. I am now using my Sansui Mode Eight Deluxe in its stead. When I have accumulated some funds, I will send it out to one of the AK guru techs that is willing to take it on. You have a classic fine piece of vintage equipment.

Thanks for the advice.
I have recapped a few pieces, and have a good friend who has done many of many kinds.. I would never jeopardize this little receiver to questionable repair, even by myself.

You have now experienced the greatness of the Eight and that should explain why they are so loved and desired.

Once properly and completely re-capped and adjusted, they are magical.
Working on them is tricky, I do not recommend it for the novice.

Most if not all of the Sansuis of that era had that service packet. Often the schematic is gone or the whole thing is torn off. You are fortunate to have it.

- Pete

Welcome to the fan club. The Eight is a fine statement of an era. If you ever have it out of the rack, you should remove the side grills and just enjoy the gorgeous heatsinks with it's machined output covers.

Thanks stereofun, How do you think the 8 compares to the 2245 or any of your other gear I see in your sig? I have a 2250 which is very close to your 2245, I like them both.

Thanks stereofun, How do you think the 8 compares to the 2245 or any of your other gear I see in your sig? I have a 2250 which is very close to your 2245, I like them both.

Of course the Exclusively Sansui forum is an unbiased place for such a question. Stereofun may provide a different answer but I feel it should probably involve a tale of Marantz being blown away by a Sansui :). Seriously though, I've only been disappointed by the Marantz receivers compared to Sansui although I must admit I haven't had a 2245.

Well as the tale goes.....I used to be into Marantz, 2265, 2235, 2252, 2285B and of course the 2245. The 2235 and 2245 were my favorites - I probably should have kept the cap coupled 2235 because of the sound, but instead opted for the 2245 that Is a gorgeous looking piece - basically a de-rated 2270. Problem with the 2245 and some of the other 22xx Marantz is in my opinion a lack of dynamics - call it punch, precision or plainly: Power supply with balls. They sound very smooth an flowy, but no real attack or bite.

My first Sansui was a 4000 - a heavy crude piece that looked decidedly backwards compared to the silvery smooth looking Marantz adorned with lights and knobs galore. The 4000 was a purchase for my cash strapped aunt, so I got it cheap and dirty. I had little expectations upon hooking it up, just expecting some sound to make my aunt happy. My goto test CD at the time was a sonically "overproduced" album "Lay Back" by Slackstring, featuring some heavy bass lines and ditto drum set. Well - I live in the Arizona desert. And that day, at high noon of course, a new sheriff rode into town. Never had I a heard punchy fat bass like that with a midsection that just came ablaze, even when a bit raw.

So while I dug the sound and sold the Marantz - I wanted that sonic presentation, but a bit more refined - That's when the Eight became my second Sansui. As to answer you question - I'd characterize the Eight as a better and more refined 4000, while retaining the punch and detail. The 4000 being cap coupled have a tendency to bloom the low end a bit, while the Eight keeps it better check on things downstairs. Compared to the 2245, the Eight is most certainly a class above with the attributes described. In many ways I feel the single digit series are a nice match between the cap coupled sound (x000's, 777/555) that's very smooth, spatial but a bit colored and "loose" vs the later sound that gets more refined, precise but also a bit more buttoned up. The Eight is a class act for sure.

V1uE9I.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome review Stereo! I have to agree, the eight outshines the 2250 just by sheer refinement. Very smooth and lots of low end controlled punch!
I also really like the sides off to show the Transistor covers :)

I've added it to the list for the January report. It is the earliest example we have on file and pushes the earliest documented production back one month to November '70. By coincidence, there is another post this morning with an Eight also built in November '70. It is #0369 built that month, yours is #0333. Yours is earlier by 36 units. Neither of these units will have the protection relay and both will have engraved face plates.

He's having an issue you may be able to answer. Check out his thread.

- Pete

Hey Pete, just sent a few more serials your way!

View attachment 1084262 View attachment 1084266 View attachment 1084268 I picked up a beautiful condition Sansui model Eight receiver a few weeks ago and started playing it and found it didn't sound very good at all, one channel was kind of scratchy and the other sounded flat. made me wonder what all the hype was about..
I opened it up and noticed a blown fuse, so I replaced it with a smaller one to make sure no damage was done. Put it back together, and still left channel is not working, hmmm?
So I check the fuse in the back of the unit and IT'S blown, so I do the same thing, replace with smaller one.
Voila! Sound glorious Sound!
I did a video comparing the Eight to my highly regarded JVC Super Digifine AX-Z1010 and the results are, well surprising!
Doesn't this little receiver know it's a receiver? Not a high powered amp..Apparently this little receiver doesn't know it's place in the audio order of things!
I now know what the hype is about, and I never have replaced the fuses and it's been 3 weeks!
I do intend to do a full recap at some point, as soon as I can get caught up with other projects.

Here's a link:

Hello thanks for the video it was great. Wish I was there to here them side by side. I really like JVC gear also as they had some good ones and u have a great one. I am using a JVC surround receiver from the 90s which sounds great but if my sansui 7000 didn’t lose a channel it would be in use. It’s just sounds really good. The phono section in the sansui is also superior. I am going to have a professional rebuild it one day. Another sansui G4500 replaced a carver receiver with 100watts but the power of the little G4500 is something else and sounds great also.

9140AFBE-2D50-423C-9658-509D3DE85116.jpeg BF2B1EF5-ABFE-4FE1-885C-D9FAC23105F2.jpeg

Attachments

• 4CC055C4-6770-481A-905A-CF298A3AD42D.jpeg
    4CC055C4-6770-481A-905A-CF298A3AD42D.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom