Which W.C.Fields Movie?

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The state of Oregon passed a law making it legal for Oregonians to pump their own gas. The Twitter posts are hilarious. Not safe, don’t want to smell like gasoline, etc. One person posted, I realise why I never seen Oregon liscense plates were I live. They make it as far as Idaho and get stuck at selfservice gas stations. :rflmao:He owned the Internet for at least 15 min.

This got me thinking of a movie with W.C. Fields. In the movie W.C.F. Is a walking disaster he was so accident prone. There is a scene were he is getting his car filled up at a gas station. He takes off with the filler hose stiil in his car. In the movie you are looking at W.C.F. out the back of the car. You see the gas pump getting jerked over as he drives away at the same time he throws his cigar out the window and the whole gas station goes up in flames.

In this movie there is a race between two ocean liners to see who can sail from New York and get to the UK first, and the fastest. A group of gamblers betting on the race contrive to get W.C.F on one of the liners and than bet their money on the other ship to win. I can’t remember what the title of that movie was. Help

Last edited:
I think the movie is "The Big Broadcast of 1938" - more details here. This movie also marked the debut of Bob Hope's theme song "Thanks for the Memory" and was Hope's first feature film. Full movie is available on Youtube here.

Last edited:
Fields had a revival in popularity in the early 70's - several books published about him, the "W.C. Fields and Me" biopic starring Rod Steiger. I remember begging my parents to let me stay up on a school night to watch "The Bank Dick" on late-night tv. Miracle of miracles, they let me do it...

Thanks for bringing this up - I've always been fond of "It's a Gift", I know it's a bunch of his skits strung together but I laugh when I see it.
I'll be watching this one tonight.

The Bank Dick, Never Give A Sucker An Even Break, so many others, including the short films. When he was "on" he was among the best natural comics ever to be filmed, up there w/ Keaton and Lloyd.

I particularly loved Fields' "way" with children, Lol.

I liked WCF when he was with Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy. But that was radio.

I've heard recordings of some of these radio shows - it's been a while, but they were fabulous. Bergen/McCarthy would remind Fields that drinking wasn't a good idea, Fields would remind them he was pretty good at striking a match (grin). You won't find lumber jokes anywhere else !!

Check out “If I Had a Million”. A tycoon leaves a million dollars to eight strangers to avoid his heirs, whom he can’t stand. What Fields does with his million is hillarious. I think that you can find the segment on yt.

Before becoming an actor, he was quite an accomplished juggler on the vaudeville circuit. He worked his juggling routine into a few films. here's a clip on YouTube:

Back
Top Bottom