JBL re-introducing the L-100

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have that sort of funds either and if they are selling a box of junk wrapped in iconic garb that would be a major rip off, but I am doubtful that is the case.
JBL has been making some fantastic speakers in this price range and I will reserve judgement for now as to their sonic worth.

I'm betting its the professional line of JBL that is reintroducing it. I'm sure it will be fitted with "studio" drivers. The $4K price is a bit much tho. I'm wondering if it isn't the 4307 with a different grill....

JBL4307.jpg

As I said on another forum, $4,000 doesn't surprise me at all. Vintage prices are in a world different from modern gear. Hell, DeVore Orangutans, with the same basic driver complement as the L40 (10" two-way, dome tweeter) but with a bigger box, are $10,000 a pair. The profit margins are just insane on stuff like this.

Yes indeed, IF they simply are a remanufacture of the old Century. If however they have some new tech, and design with modern drivers well maybe..I'd guess probably the street price will be considerably less, depending on their sales success.

The blurb describes modern drivers, a waveguide on the tweeter and a flared port. Sounds like the white-coned woofers, driver layout and L pad-type adjusters will be carried over from the original.

One of the reasons the L100 was so popular is they were relatively affordable to average working people. $4000. is not for a pair of speakers, even today. For that money/type/size range I'd rather have LSR6332s or 708Ps or 4429s.

You'd be better off getting the Studio 580 or 590 and saving a bunch, unless you had to have the bookshelf size format.

Last edited:
If the speaker is really, really good then $4000 isn’t out of line. The 12” 3 way Harbeth Monitor 40, a superb speaker, runs about $15,000 a pair so $4000 might be a bargain. We’ll see.

Why not take the opportunity to get it right this time?
I know what you mean, but from a corporate viewpoint, it was one of the most successful lines of speakers ever made and judging by eBay sales still a strong performer sales wise. What was it, 120,000 pairs of them made?, and I don't think that includes the T3's either.

That said, this is going on 50 years later, and everything is different, new and vastly improved (how vast dependent on who you ask and what is being compared) I think this must be some sort of commemorate model, perhaps it will be called a Half Century model:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom