Recommendations for used SUV? (preferably w/ spare on back)

I took a Kia Sportage for a test once and couldn't wait to get it back to the dealership. They must have come along way since then. Kia were basically crap then...
You got a timeframe for us? It’s relevant. Hyundai/Kia have been making massive inroads in quality and driving experience over the last ten years. My mother’s 01 Elantra wagon, which barely measures up to comparable cars of its time, feels 30-40 years behind the current cars they’re selling.

Oh, sorry.... this would have been in the 2002-5 range I'm guessing. My apologies. Back then, the Kia were on the same par as the Saturn in my opinion anyway. A friend of mine was a sales person at one of the local dealerships and took in a Kia Sportage on trade. Gave me a call as I was looking for a winter driver. Ended up getting a Jeep Charokee - which, I'd say, say was a fabulous vehicle. Inline 6. Standard. I sold it with 150k on it and about 10 years later I saw the same vehicle driving. Talked to the owner - who purchased it off the fellow I sold it to - and said that it still runs strong but the body was now rotted to schitt....

Yeah. I think back then a Saturn was a much better buy unless you really leaned on the ten year warranty. At times I barrow my mothers car for the storage space and I have to wonder if that’s what it’s like to drive a Lada.

Our Mazda MPV is on its last legs, dripping oil again, creaky as an over driven airport shuttle van.

I'm starting a search for a used SUV that we can use for road trips and take the occasional dirt road to trail heads (not 4wheeling, though).

As I get older, I really don't fancy crawling under the back or unpacking the trunk when traveling to get to a spare. So, I've been trying to find SUVs that have a rear mounted spare (like the Toyota RAV4).

Any recommendations you have or advice would be great.

I'm budgeting about $15 used.

TIA!

Find 3-4 years old Nissan XTerra. 2015 was the last production year. They are solidly made and can be used on almost any trail. Spare tire is below floor, but it has a fancy method of release, when you do not need to crawl under.

Nothing for nothing, I've a Jeep Patriot. Best vehicle - next to my old Porsche 928gts - I've ever owned. Has been very reliable 160,000kms with very few major issues. It is just starting to rust now - which I need to deal with as rust is supposed to be an issue with all Jeep products. It is 4 cylinder and 4x4. Lots of space. Drives well, especially in snow. Parts are cheaper than most and widely available.
Mine is like this one:
My brother bought an '08 Patriot that had around 30k miles on it that still looked and smelled brand new, and by 60k it was pretty much ready for the scrap yard. And it's not like he abused it or took it off road or anything like that. He just drove it to work and back. He kept it clean an tried to take care of it. At less than 40k, the POS automatic transmission started acting up, and the dealer claimed they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It's funny, if you floored it, it would stay at red line indefinitely and barely accelerate, until you let off of it or shifted it manually.:no: When it went out completely at 60k, they told him tough shit, even though he paid for the extended warranty. Not to mention, most of the front end components had already worn out and been replaced. And, the body was already rotting out badly in places, too. The ONLY thing that was good about it was the gas mileage. It was TOTAL GARBAGE otherwise.

Last edited:
I guess I either lucked out or your brother's was a dud.
Probably both. But Chrysler seems to have made a LOT of duds over the years. Except for a select few vehicles, I'd never own anything modern made by Chrysler. I was even hesitant to buy the '83 Dodge pickup that I have now, but almost nobody had anything bad to say about the slant 6 or automatic transmissions in them. Well, aside from being SLOW.:D

Those Cerberus era Compass and Patriots were B A D. And lately I’ve generally been a fan of some of the stuff FCA has been doing. The new Compass is cool as is the Renegade, but man I’d skip those first generation cars.

Probably both. But Chrysler seems to have made a LOT of duds over the years. Except for a select few vehicles, I'd never own anything modern made by Chrysler. I was even hesitant to buy the '83 Dodge pickup that I have now, but almost nobody had anything bad to say about the slant 6 or automatic transmissions in them. Well, aside from being SLOW.:D
by 83 the slanter had lost 30 hp.https://www.allpar.com/slant6.html

I had the mighty 145hp 225 in my 63 polara and a 225 in my volare.For the op I wouldn't discount a santa fe out of the running either.

The Rav4 is a nice vehicle, but some years had one MAJOR fault, at least in my eyes:

The lack of ability to turn off the traction control.

Well, technically there is a way that most owners won't know about to temporarily shut it off. I don't know if it is even in the owner's manual, but I found it on the web. You have to do a little dance of putting it in and out of gear, stepping on the brake, turning certain things on and off, and doing other inane things in a certain sequence.

It will never be an issue for most drivers, but in low traction situations, like snow or mud, the TC renders the vehicle almost COMPLETELY USELESS.

My aunt leased new RAVs every 3 years. She couldn't see to drive, so I did nearly all the driving. I believe this Rav was in an '07 but couldn't swear to it. We went shopping, and I decided to back the car up to the porch to unload groceries. There was maybe 2-3 inches of snow on the ground, but the Rav had brand new tires on it, so I though nothing of it, being AWD. I got back in it to move it, and every time I touched the gas, the TC cut basically ALL power to the wheels every time they slipped the SLIGHTEST bit. It took me probably 25 tries of going forward and backing up to get it the 35 feet back onto the driveway.:yikes: I was PISSED OFF and SCREAMING obscenities by then.:rant: I could have pulled my FWD Ford Aspire with winter tires in the same spot, and I GUARANTEE I could have gotten out with little to no drama. If it were mine, I would have called Toyota, and told them to come and get that piece of shit out of my driveway.:mad:

What good is AWD if the TC won't let you use it?:wtf:

People must have bitched to Toyota (and rightly so!), as her next RAV4, a '10 I think, not only had a switch to turn off the TC, but it also had a center differential lock switch to go from AWD to real 4WD.

Last edited:
thread crap alert, but tell me why? our 2016 XLE is our first toyota and my initial impression, after just under 30K miles it, it does not have the powertrain or electrical reliability that my GM and Ford products do. very well put together body and interior wise, but that dont get you down the highway. but its apparent that toyota garners its defects/car rating by simply denying its a problem, until the warranty expires.

I meet FTS thursday for the second time in a year and cant wait till we pay this off and get a Kia (I kid you not)
The 2012 RAV4 was ridiculously over powered , on the highway ,passing someone was not a problem . It was smooth and stable at any speed . No vibrations ,no rattles not a single problem . 2018 Rav 4 , no power , less than 250 miles and you can feel the tires vibrate on the highway , you can see the hood shaking and there is a rattle when I hit a bump .

Honda Ridgeline. (1st Gen)
Not an SUV, but does have a trunk, great AWD, seats 4-5 comfortably, and stupid reliable, should be able to find decent low mil used ones well within your price range.
Best built, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned (so far).

Ridgeline doesn't stand up to anything more than very light towing though as a friend had trans. troubles and had engine blow up. They are just based on cars with very light duty drivetrains.

Kia/Hyundai are only made to last though the warranty from what I've seen and avoid CVT's in anything not a hybrid as they aren't rebuildable or are extremely expensive if they are.

by 83 the slanter had lost 30 hp.https://www.allpar.com/slant6.html
There is also a horsepower rating system change in there circa 1972. Its not quite as dire as you'd believe if you account for that.

1bbl carbs on slant sixes always seemed a little minimal to me, though at least the /6 had much closer to equal length runners than say the Ford 300 or a Chevy 250. Those were just silly, the middle runners were like 3", the end ones closer to 16". A 2bbl /6 ran pretty decent, a lot of late 70s cars could be had with the SuperSix. A valve lash adjustment also does good things for these if it hasn't been done in a long time.

A valve lash adjustment also does good things for these if it hasn't been done in a long time.
According to Allpar, the '81 and up /6 switched to hydraulic lifters, so that shouldn't be a concern. Correct?

Not that it really matters because mine could really use a new set of valve guide seals as it smokes for a couple seconds after it is first started. Mine uses a regular 1bbl carb that I just rebuilt, but has the lean burn computer that controls the ignition, which still seems to work somewhat correctly:eek:. I'm eventually going to ditch that and switch to a 70's style distributor with regular vacuum advance.

Possible, the relatively limited /6 experience I have is with 70s models that ran solid lifters.

Apparently they ran this as a marine engine, but I've never seen one. I've worked on a few 318 marines, and my granddad had a 383 in his boat. Always liked Chrysler marine engines.

The '08 V-6 RAV-4 we bought new is still running strong with no problems at all. My son has it now. It isn't really deteriorating much, so I'd expect he'll get 250k plus miles out of it.

It isn't very good on the trail. I'm talking about 4WD forest service and BLM roads, not gnarly off road stuff. So if that's important to you then you'll need a different ride.

While I hesitate to recommend a Chrysler product, the latest version of Jeep Grand Cherokee is great on the highway and on the trail. You might have to stretch a little to get one but they are good values in a used SUV. Spare is under the back deck.

Back
Top Bottom