SANSUI 5000X

ALIDIESEL

HI
I picked up this 5000X for $ 150 today
This device has been in barn for many years.
I think output transistors have been replaced.
I want to rebuild this amplifier.
What can I do on this device for best performance?
I want to RECAP and fully restore the device
Do I change the transistors?
And finally,please tell me that 5000x is a good amplifier or not?

Thanks

Attachments

• photo_2018-01-09_20-00-00.jpg
    photo_2018-01-09_20-00-00.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 83
  • photo_2018-01-09_16-02-28.jpg
    photo_2018-01-09_16-02-28.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 77
  • photo_2018-01-09_19-56-32.jpg
    photo_2018-01-09_19-56-32.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 74
  • photo_2018-01-09_20-15-21.jpg
    photo_2018-01-09_20-15-21.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 78
  • photo_2018-01-09_20-15-32.jpg
    photo_2018-01-09_20-15-32.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 80
  • photo_2018-01-09_20-15-57.jpg
    photo_2018-01-09_20-15-57.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 77
  • photo_2018-01-09_20-16-16.jpg
    photo_2018-01-09_20-16-16.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 74
  • photo_2018-01-09_20-16-21.jpg
    photo_2018-01-09_20-16-21.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 77
  • photo_2018-01-09_20-28-49.jpg
    photo_2018-01-09_20-28-49.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 79
  • photo_2018-01-09_19-59-03.jpg
    photo_2018-01-09_19-59-03.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 72
As far as the unit being good ? Yes its a very nice receiver. I own 2 (well one 5000x and a 5000a). I gave one to my son-in-law and keep the other as a back up to my 9090db. Its a keeper. As far as rebuilding, well, thats for the experts here to chime in. Enjoy that nice Sansui !!!

As far as the unit being good ? Yes its a very nice receiver. I own 2 (well one 5000x and a 5000a). I gave one to my son-in-law and keep the other as a back up to my 9090db. Its a keeper. As far as rebuilding, well, thats for the experts here to chime in. Enjoy that nice Sansui !!!

Thank you for your comment
I do not have electronic expertise
And with the help of friends I want to reconstruct this device.
What do you think about transistors?
Is the Toshiba 2n3055 transistor on output is original?
Does the original transistor have the best performance or is it better to change?

Attachments

• photo_2018-01-09_20-28-49.jpg
    photo_2018-01-09_20-28-49.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 14
No.

Original output transistors are best (for this model/age of receiver), no it is not better to change an all original set of output transistors, if they are otherwise undamaged.
thanks
Do you know the online store , that I can buy the original transistors?
I live in Iran and unfortunately in our market, most transistors are fake and made in China.

You will be very unlikely to find original transistors now. Or if you do find any, as you say there is a very strong possibility that they will be fake.

I really don't know which of the AK membership favoured suppliers will deliver to Iran, also I would defer to others (who have rebuilt 5000 series receivers), for the exact modern type of output transistors you could use instead.

Personally, I would do a recap/known noisy transistor change before changing the 2N3055's. If they are working/measuring correctly, I don't believe you'll improve on anything by swapping them out.

You should replace all electrolytic capacitors first. Clean all switches and turn pots including trimmers for centre voltage and bias, then adjust the amp pr. instructions in Service manual that you can download from "hifiengine.com". Then if you hear noise from the amp when no signal, but volume turned up a bit - the next step would be to replace the small signal transistors in the pre-amp and driver section.

I would probably replace the output transistors down the road, but not as first order of business and only because there are better moderns available. The 2n3055 are fully adequate, a bit slow at 2.5 MHZ and the collector-base max of 100V is, sufficient but not a lot of margin from the relatively high rail voltage of the 5000x (schematic doesn't tell, but I believe it is close to 80V).

Trying to find originals are difficult, and you are very likely to end up with fakes, that will create more problems, instead - if they are available from a reputable source in your region - go with Onsemi MJ21194g's - they are excellent replacements - better speed and much better Safe Operating Range. Make sure you align yourself with friends who knows this stuff, it is really easy to mess up. The 5000x is a very good receiver !

You will be very unlikely to find original transistors now. Or if you do find any, as you say there is a very strong possibility that they will be fake.

I really don't know which of the AK membership favoured suppliers will deliver to Iran, also I would defer to others (who have rebuilt 5000 series receivers), for the exact modern type of output transistors you could use instead.
thank you

Personally, I would do a recap/known noisy transistor change before changing the 2N3055's. If they are working/measuring correctly, I don't believe you'll improve on anything by swapping them out.
thanks
So, you say, if there was not a problem, do not change the transistors?
In your opinion, which part is the most important part in rebuild process, that more helps improve the sound?

You should replace all electrolytic capacitors first. Clean all switches and turn pots including trimmers for centre voltage and bias, then adjust the amp pr. instructions in Service manual that you can download from "hifiengine.com". Then if you hear noise from the amp when no signal, but volume turned up a bit - the next step would be to replace the small signal transistors in the pre-amp and driver section.

I would probably replace the output transistors down the road, but not as first order of business and only because there are better moderns available. The 2n3055 are fully adequate, a bit slow at 2.5 MHZ and the collector-base max of 100V is, sufficient but not a lot of margin from the relatively high rail voltage of the 5000x (schematic doesn't tell, but I believe it is close to 80V).

Trying to find originals are difficult, and you are very likely to end up with fakes, that will create more problems, instead - if they are available from a reputable source in your region - go with Onsemi MJ21194g's - they are excellent replacements - better speed and much better Safe Operating Range. Make sure you align yourself with friends who knows this stuff, it is really easy to mess up. The 5000x is a very good receiver !

Thankful
Do you think modern transistors have a higher quality sound than original transistors?
What are the best electrolytic capacitors that I need to replace?

Start with a serious round or two of switch and control cleaning, interior cleaning, bulb replacement to find out what really needs to be done. Listen to it for several hours and note any sound issues. Then start by repairing those issues first before diving into wholesale rebuilding, especially if you are just getting started. As always, ask as you go along, the Sansui forum is full of helpful folks :)
As far as outputs go those 3055's are just fine, been around for ever and used in more low power early 70's gear than most other outputs.
-Lee

I would first recap the power supply, protection board,ripple filter and the amp boards. I have a 4000, so I replaced the 2SC458 transistors with KSC1845fta's on the amp. Your amp section probably has these as well. (Maybe the tone board too). Replace those, they are known problem transistors.

Doing that will make some changes in the sound, but it's really more for keeping problems away. I think I picked up tighter bass sound from doing those.

The tone and the phono equalizer board will definitely change the sound after a recap. It will get somewhat brighter, but through use, you either don't notice it as much, or they "settle down" in time. Debate is still out on that.

If after all that, the sound is to your liking, personally, I wouldn't go through the trouble of changing the output transistors. If you're not satisfied with the sound, the suggestions for replacement outputs posted above would be fine.

Start with a serious round or two of switch and control cleaning, interior cleaning, bulb replacement to find out what really needs to be done. Listen to it for several hours and note any sound issues. Then start by repairing those issues first before diving into wholesale rebuilding, especially if you are just getting started. As always, ask as you go along, the Sansui forum is full of helpful folks :)
As far as outputs go those 3055's are just fine, been around for ever and used in more low power early 70's gear than most other outputs.
-Lee
Thank you for your comment
This Amp is the first amp that I want to rebuild
I'm really confused and I do not know where to start:dunno:
I'm doing it with the help of the Friends of the sansui forums

Just remember, take pictures of the boards before you begin. They WILL come in handy. Work slow, and if you feel yourself becoming frustrated, step away.

Remember, this should be fun. Be careful, though, it also can be quite addictive.

I would first recap the power supply, protection board,ripple filter and the amp boards. I have a 4000, so I replaced the 2SC458 transistors with KSC1845fta's on the amp. Your amp section probably has these as well. (Maybe the tone board too). Replace those, they are known problem transistors.

Doing that will make some changes in the sound, but it's really more for keeping problems away. I think I picked up tighter bass sound from doing those.

The tone and the phono equalizer board will definitely change the sound after a recap. It will get somewhat brighter, but through use, you either don't notice it as much, or they "settle down" in time. Debate is still out on that.

If after all that, the sound is to your liking, personally, I wouldn't go through the trouble of changing the output transistors. If you're not satisfied with the sound, the suggestions for replacement outputs posted above would be fine.
Thankful
I will certainly use your experiences and other friends
I will use this amp to hear the voice of vinyl

Just remember, take pictures of the boards before you begin. They WILL come in handy. Work slow, and if you feel yourself becoming frustrated, step away.

Remember, this should be fun. Be careful, though, it also can be quite addictive.
I totally agree with you
I was a retro game collector before I came into the hifi worlds and I became completely addicted in that section:(
I'm trying to control myself in the sound world:cool:

For actual vintage receivers you have purchased one of the best. The X version of the 5000 was the last upgrade of the already great receiver, and yours seems to be the later issue of that. I'd plug it in and see how it performs. If it doesn't need work, use it and enjoy it. But sometimes a good visual inspection will show problems if there are any. Look for burned resistors, leaky or swelled capacitors, dark or charred insulation of wires. All in all, looks like a nice unit.

Regarding outputs, I believe they have little to nothing to do with the sound, except in really fast amps such as the 919 or X1 where you really should match the speed of the originals. The "Sound" is in the circuit design, the outputs are just big "faucets" that adds ampere so that the already "prepared signal" can actually move some speaker cones. The only case where I would consider MJ21194/95's would be if I didn't have originals and, as often is the case, have originals in one side and some replacement that may or may not be a good match in the other side. In that Case - I'd argue that you are better off with all new outputs from same manufacturer and batch. Rest with Overundr1's advice - and don't worry about the outputs, the replacements you have in are proven and they are all the same.

For actual vintage receivers you have purchased one of the best. The X version of the 5000 was the last upgrade of the already great receiver, and yours seems to be the later issue of that. I'd plug it in and see how it performs. If it doesn't need work, use it and enjoy it. But sometimes a good visual inspection will show problems if there are any. Look for burned resistors, leaky or swelled capacitors, dark or charred insulation of wires. All in all, looks like a nice unit.
thanks a lot
I agree with your opinion
I'm trying to test the amp for a few days.
Next, start project.

Back
Top Bottom