Just Bought a CR2040 - looking to refurb-- could use some info.

John Hale

I just bought a CR2040. Getting prepped to refurbish it. I am not an expert but I have already done a Pioneer SX3800, Marantz 2265B, so a little bit comfortable with this type of work. I have a service manual. However, the Yammy one does not include a parts list -- are those available? Caps list?

I've read the threads on CR-1020 power supply mods and issues - is it similar for the 2040?

Any areas in particular to switch out.pay attention to? For example my Pioneer - it was suggested (and I did) replace all Caps, All transistors (big Job). Marantz was mostly caps and a few transistors. Would like to have a pretty comprehensive Mouser/Digikey order (I live in Germany) so one shipment is better than multiple even if I don't end up replacing all the parts.

I see a fella name Avionics on this forum (I'm an AF guy also) My daughter also happens to be an Avionics Tech.

Thanks in advance, look forward to the new adventure. BTW I've been a stereo nut for about 45 years -- my first store bought reveiver was a Yamaha 4 something I believe, now coming full circle.

John

Thanks, Avionic - Does it have any add'l info? My one reads pretty well and had the Wiring dia. and schematics enlarged and printed from the plotter at work. However, if this othe rone has parts list might be worth it. Do you know of any Service bulletins for the 2040?

E-mail Norman at analog alley. Request and CR-2040 SM.

YES! I had the one from HiFi Engine and purchased the one that @avionic is referring- it's the BOMB - wouldn't attempt restoration without this copy but I have a 1020 and the manual HFE offers is in really poor shape.

Thanks, Avionic - Does it have any add'l info? My one reads pretty well and had the Wiring dia. and schematics enlarged and printed from the plotter at work. However, if this othe rone has parts list might be worth it. Do you know of any Service bulletins for the 2040?
No I don't know of any SB's for the 2040.

Btw, Avionics is one fine fella even if he does hang out down here in the Yamaha section rather than with us Sansui types :)
And there are a few of us that feel the CR2040 is the cream of the crop in Yamaha receivers sonic-ally, listening to some tasty ten years after on mine as I type.

-Lee

On my " when I get around to it " shelf is and 8080 and a 9090db..........And lots of black Yamaha.:biggrin:

Still waiting on the CR-2040 to come in the mail--- redoing a Technics SA-600 while I wait. should be week or so before it gets to Germany

Well got the CR2040 -- quite a handful to be sure. I've recapped it and am updating the small transistors. Life was good for the moment..... But as I was replacing and then testing (trying to go slowly and test every little step) -- SO long story short -- I blew all the output on one side and the pre drivers (all was working good but didn't have everthing fully screwed to the heat sink-- they heated up prety fast and pop, nothing) -- of course I have no replacement for those and haven't been able to find any info --- hoping to get some help ... (Dam just want to kick myself)

So hoping to find a replacement for:

SD736A (B,C)

SB 700A (B,C)

A968 (O,Y)

C2238 (O,Y)

thank folks -- other than that my day is fine --- f#$%K

John

Mica insulators for the MT-200 Sankens transistors -- Search ( MT-200 Mica ) on ebay. or Amazon.

The bay is cheaper..
The OEM mica insulators will most likely not be wide enough for the MT-200 case style.

index.php

Attachments

• DSC04161.JPG
    DSC04161.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom