Sorry to sound morbid

You can certainly draw up instructions on what to do with your gear, and how to operate it

Uh ... the "A" wire's connected to the ... "B" wire
The "B" wire's connected to the ... "C wire ...

Stereo-Block-Diagram-2013.jpg

not morbid at all. as my buddy says, let my heirs take care of everything
(he had no heirs closer than cousins) - he couldn't be bothered and he
has just about one of everything from the golden age in about 5K sq ft over
4 locations in 2 states (NAK dragons, complete SP10s, ARs, MLs, etc).

love you guys that eventually do something. there are thousand thread posts here and there,
that have FreddyFlipper, WallyWidowCheater make tons off your widow/heirs ("scroes")

offer $10 bux for that box of Miles Davis, Monk, blue notes, master tapes
offer $100 for that Mac stack
1000s of LPs (rock, Jazz, classical) for 5cents each\
(you would be spinning in your graves - 45RPM at least)

you could play every one of your edisons/78s/45s/Lps/cassettes/Elcassettes, DVD-a, etc
and auto- digitize it into one of those DAPs. under $100
then sell everything.

remember your will, when read, everyone nods solemnly. then afterwards, they all
dump everything because they can't understand your fascination, devotion,
love of this hobby. to them its just old junk. especially the tubes and the mono jazz.

after you digitize everything. bury that DAP with you. then you can really enjoy the music.

I'm already downsizing and in 15 years might be all digital with little or no hard media and streaming most of my choices. No tape right now, and I do a record show twice a year, so my goal will be just a single turntable, a preamp pushing one of my two tube amps and a set of bookshelves. The A7s will go at some point,perhaps if/when I move, but could survive me and my family may wind up seling them, but they know the value of them.

Honestly, I'm not a collector and rarely critically listen, so my media is basically a matter of access, not uniqueness, and 90% can be easily replaced via streaming satisfactorily.
As an avid scrounger attending hundreds of estate sales annually, I made my decision years ago to not leave my family piles of detritus to sell, and resolving Keg's estate has only strength my resolve. I'll leave my family a stack of cash,or good experiences bought with it. than piles of old records, receivers, speakers, parts, tools etc. to have to dispose of.
We've already made several trips to the Salvation Army to donate DVDs, kitchen goods, books, Christmas decor, excess furniture, clothing, junk drawer items, and more, and will continue to do so. It's already nicer with less clutter, and will get better as I have declared 2018 The Year of the Purge.
"Year of the Purge, 2018 Is".
-Yoda
:biggrin:

I hear ya.
We've batted around downsizing for a few years now, but it seems like it's more a real thing lately. My wife is close to being able to collect her pension, but not completely retire yet. Living with less space and stuff is becoming really appealing.
My media will be the tough one for me. I'm a music geek, and sort of a music collector. Sorting out what to keep and what to move along will probably kick my ass.

I'm not getting any younger, but lately I've been thinking about creating a will. . . . Has anyone else thought or laid out steps for vintage audio instruction?

Disposing of audio gear in a will is no different than disposing of furniture or jewelry or any other personal property. You can be general ("I give all my personal property to my children in equal shares") or specific ("I give my Marantz 2230 to my son, Bill, and my Pioneer SX-636 to my daughter, Roseanne.").

Remember that whoever gets your stuff after you die can [EDIT: as a general rule] just sell it off if they don't want it.

Oh, and as far as the OP goes, the will and how to use the gear are two different things.
If I croak tomorrow, all tech questions will just be handled by our 9 year old.:rflmao:

offer $10 bux for that box of Miles Davis, Monk, blue notes, master tapes

I actually just bought a few dozen, Miles Davis, Contrane, and Count Basie for $2/ea, and a few were blue notes (I actually have no idea what a blue note is, just saw it on a few jackets). I bought them because they were in excellent condition, didn't know they're worth anything.

I actually just bought a few dozen, Miles Davis, Contrane, and Count Basie for $2/ea, and a few were blue notes (I actually have no idea what a blue note is, just saw it on a few jackets). I bought them because they were in excellent condition, didn't know they're worth anything.
If you're out looking for music, stumbling on Blue Note titles, and don't know about BN, you should look into it. Same for all those jazz labels. There's gold in those hills, music wise and money wise.
Did you find CDs or vinyl?

If you're out looking for music, stumbling on Blue Note titles, and don't know about BN, you should look into it. Same for all those jazz labels. There's gold in those hills, music wise and money wise.
Did you find CDs or vinyl?

Vinyls, they were all stamped on the jacket and record label what I assume is the previous owner's name. From internet sleuthing, I believe the PO was a 70 year old that worked for a cyber security consulting firm.

There were actually a lot more of them from dizzy gillepspe, and monk. But I don't listen to those artists, so I left them.

Vinyls, they were all stamped on the jacket and record label what I assume is the previous owner's name. From internet sleuthing, I believe the PO was a 70 year old that worked for a cyber security consulting firm.

There were actually a lot more of them from dizzy gillepspe, and monk. But I don't listen to those artists, so I left them.
Yikes!
Even if it ain't your thing, $2 Diz, Monk, BN, etc vinyl is worth grabbing for trading(or trading in) purposes.

I know vinyl collectors usually dislike writing on covers, but at thrift prices I get a kick out of it.
I've got a small Erroll Garner collection that I found over a few months awhile back. They just popped up with the same name on the back every so often. I have no idea who Bernie, or Bernard F------- is, but I dig his taste in music.

Yikes!
Even if it ain't your thing, $2 Diz, Monk, BN, etc vinyl is worth grabbing for trading(or trading in) purposes.

I know vinyl collectors usually dislike writing on covers, but at thrift prices I get a kick out of it.
I've got a small Erroll Garner collection that I found over a few months awhile back. They just popped up with the same name on the back every so often. I have no idea who Bernie, or Bernard F------- is, but I dig his taste in music.

Like I said, I have no idea what blue note was. I saw a bunch of new vinyl hit the shelves, went through it, and grabbed everything I recognized in good condition. I bought 38 in total, mostly Miles, Contrane, and Basie. I just remember the Blue Note on the jacket and sleeves as I was going through them, cleaning, then listening. I've only gone through half of what I picked up so far. Guess I'll need to stop by GW and see if any are still there, been 3 days so far.

I think it's a good idea to make your wishes known regardless of the asset. You want to protect it, distribute it and keep the family from arguing with each other and keep it all out of probate.

To who you distribute the assets is your call but if you want something to go to someone specific, then say so.

Like I said, I have no idea what blue note was. I saw a bunch of new vinyl hit the shelves, went through it, and grabbed everything I recognized in good condition. I bought 38 in total, mostly Miles, Contrane, and Basie. I just remember the Blue Note on the jacket and sleeves as I was going through them, cleaning, then listening. I've only gone through half of what I picked up so far. Guess I'll need to stop by GW and see if any are still there, been 3 days so far.
Oh yeah, stop by again if you can.
Unless it's trashed, any old BN title you find will be 'worth' more than $2. Even the reissue copies. Same for a bunch of the other jazz labels like Prestige, Jazzland, Riverside, etc, or the major labels like Columbia who put out jazz.....
Even if you don't like it, you can most likely parlay that into something that you do.

I would advise keeping too much detail out of your will, and leave instructions and info somewhere else for your family, executor, etc. If you leave your prized Marantz to someone specific, and you've sold it off by then or it got destroyed in a mudslide, what was the point. And if you have a large collection of stuff, you may want to give some guidance on how to handle it. As in 'contact these AK friends of mine, they will help out.' I put string tags on gear indicating its condition (working/needs repair/parts missing), the year I bought it, sometimes from who or where, and what I paid for it. It's a good record for me, too.

Does anyone really think someone is going to sell the records from an inherited collection lol? Lets see we'll price this at $2.00 cuz motorstereo said so......... oh boy look at that one that's worth a 5 spot........... In my case I inherited a substantial record collection a few years ago and don't cry now vinyl collectors but most of it got tossed in the 30 yard dumpster. Yes I hate tossing things out just as much as the next guy. Going through losing a good friend and having to out source his vast collection of all things audio you'd be surprised what can quickly become worthless to the beneficiary.

Well, yes, some of us do think that. At the very least it would be given away by setting it in the front yard and posting it on CL, or hauling it to a donation spot. I never quite understand why people pay to put things in the landfill - even giving them away free you still come out ahead of that. JMHO.

Oh yeah, stop by again if you can.
Unless it's trashed, any old BN title you find will be 'worth' more than $2. Even the reissue copies. Same for a bunch of the other jazz labels like Prestige, Jazzland, Riverside, etc, or the major labels like Columbia who put out jazz.....
Even if you don't like it, you can most likely parlay that into something that you do.

Well, just checked, all gone. At least I think I ran off with the bulk of the good stuff 3 days ago.

Well, just checked, all gone. At least I think I ran off with the bulk of the good stuff 3 days ago.
Bummer.
Consider yourself lucky to to find what you did. I know my jazz(and blues) and having been hitting the thrift bins for 15 years. Not a whole lot of it shows up around here. I can count the thrift store Blue Notes I've found on one hand.

Does anyone really think someone is going to sell the records from an inherited collection lol? Lets see we'll price this at $2.00 cuz motorstereo said so......... oh boy look at that one that's worth a 5 spot........... In my case I inherited a substantial record collection a few years ago and don't cry now vinyl collectors but most of it got tossed in the 30 yard dumpster. Yes I hate tossing things out just as much as the next guy. Going through losing a good friend and having to out source his vast collection of all things audio you'd be surprised what can quickly become worthless to the beneficiary.
I guess it depends on what's in the collection.
If I pass on and my wife and kid don't want to deal with the vinyl do I expect them to go on and on trying to sell those $2-$5 albums individually? Nah. Bin-ing stuff like the blues, jazz, Beatles, Wilco, Zep, etc would be silly from a money point of view, though.
Even if it's way below market value they're better off being cashed in.
Even stuff that has little to no value dollar-wise it is better off being donated to a thrift, or given to a music fan who'll dig it.

I guess it depends on what's in the collection.
If I pass on and my wife and kid don't want to deal with the vinyl do I expect them to go on and on trying to sell those $2-$5 albums individually? Nah. Bin-ing stuff like the blues, jazz, Beatles, Wilco, Zep, etc would be silly from a money point of view, though.
Even if it's way below market value they're better off being cashed in.
Even stuff that has little to no value dollar-wise it is better off being donated to a thrift, or given to a music fan who'll dig it.
But, wouldn't you want your family to know what is of worth and what isn't?

They would at least be in a position of knowledge to sell, keep, or give your collection.

Seems irresponsible to me to not let your beneficiaries know what the worth is of your 'stuff'.

Back
Top Bottom