MC1.25KW - no ordinary amps, thank you McIntosh!

Joe,
Yes, the X-1 Series V have the Inverted Ti dome tweeter. Actually I like this tweeter more than the more recent soft dome Wilson tweeter.
I am looking to replace my aging Levinson #23 here.
Bill

Joe,
Yes, the X-1 Series V have the Inverted Ti dome tweeter. Actually I like this tweeter more than the more recent soft dome Wilson tweeter.
I am looking to replace my aging Levinson #23 here.
Bill

That's great. We all love different things and hear differently. I don't think for a minute that my ears are great, but I personally prefer a softer/sweeter sound.

As the movie quote goes, "I can't handle the truth", seriously. But, that's me.

Thanks!

Bass seems really tight and articulate as well with the 1.25s. The amps have a seamless nature to them, highs are higher and lows are lower without anything calling attention to itself. It’s like the music comes from a wider window. Pretty amazing.

Oh yes indeed it was very exciting times, the guilt of huge investment is something that fades quickly as the level of enjoyment it brings is something you cannot put a price on.....
I know as I got home with the 452, it sunk in just how much money I had spent and I started feeling a bit guilty....until I fired it up....

I remember the first time I spent four figures on a single component...because it was just a few months ago. I needed a couple days to recover. But then before you know it, four figures is nothing
index.php
Definitely addictive behavior, but then as addictions go it's relatively harmless (particularly with Mac gear most of which doesn't depreciate much, or at all) and there is this incredible bonus of intoxicating sound quality. Onward and upward say I ... Congrats to the OP :)

I'm approaching 120+ hours on my amps and I swear there were some improvements during the night. I was up late (again!!) listening. I can point to a moment where the amps sound just took on that little extra something.

In the end, I believe it's impossible to quantify and compare, given all of the variables involved. But when you consider the micro-scale upon which many of us judge various parts, components, and effects, it hardly strains credulity to conclude that various pieces--large and small--do transform/alter/broaden/stabilize/enhance just a bit from new. Still don't have quite the right word for that.

Last edited:
The amps are either settling nicely or I’m beginning to appreciate and understand what they can do, or both.

Great in all respects. Evenings and weekends fly by listening to music.

I’m going to have to try a C1100 for fun at some point but I’m in no hurry.

The first thing I would do is paint the O ring and the plates over the heat sinks a matching black. Some one is going to place a drink glass on the ring for sure some day. And you know what that means. If I could remove the ring I would. I was so thankful I bought my 207's when I did, the 8207 is just not my cup of tea. If they wanted led meters why not have seven vertical ones like the 7106 six vertical meters????

The first thing I would do is paint the O ring and the plates over the heat sinks a matching black. Some one is going to place a drink glass on the ring for sure some day. And you know what that means. If I could remove the ring I would. I was so thankful I bought my 207's when I did, the 8207 is just not my cup of tea. If they wanted led meters why not have seven vertical ones like the 7106 six vertical meters????

I understand what you are saying but the looks have definitely grown on me. I smile every time I look at the MC1.25KW amps, especially when I know I am going to fire them up.

I understand what you are saying but the looks have definitely grown on me. I smile every time I look at the MC1.25KW amps, especially when I know I am going to fire them up.
For posterity, you could be the first to snap a pic of you favorite pint sitting in the ring. I bet that pic gets around fast!

I swapped in the Revel Studio2. Great speakers made better by a powerful amp with ease and control, big in the room soundstage, quiet, 3D and air, depth and clarity. Outstanding late night and low level listening.

The MC1.25KWs seem to be voiced in a new direction. Not “typical” McIntosh sound, but a more modern, cleaner and more resolving presentation.

Hi Joe,

The 2nd paragraph is how I would describe my MC601s vs my MC501s. Are the new MC1.25KWs voiced similar to the 601s you previously owned? Or even a step further in that direction?

Jason

Hi Joe,

The 2nd paragraph is how I would describe my MC601s vs my MC501s. Are the new MC1.25KWs voiced similar to the 601s you previous owned. Or even a step further in that direction?

Jason

Definitely a step further in that direction, in my opinion. The 452/601 are more “tube-like” in comparison for lack of a better term.

I wonder if all the amps will be voiced similarly.

Thank you Kevin. I’m still awake playing music and have been almost constantly since setting them up. They’re settled down and continue to make me smile. I love to look at them too. Sooooo cool.

Thank you Kevin. I’m still awake playing music and have been almost constantly since setting them up. They’re settled down and continue to make me smile. I love to look at them too. Sooooo cool.
Joe,
Did you decide the best match to speakers yet between your three pairs? As the amps have settled in do you still think their voicing is different thsn your previous Mcintosh amps?

Back
Top Bottom