Transcendar transformer service back in business

I used a pair of SE outputs and that amp turned out to be an excellent sounding amp. Their quality is a notch above the usual.

I think he will rewind many different transformers if you have the original. He probably just lists the service for a few. I would like to see him getting back into some vintage production like the st35 transformers he once made.

I used a set of SE tranys and a choke from him. Nice iron. Hopefully he will wind what you want now.

I emailed the eBay address for some info on a nice pair of OPTs I found at Kegger's and never received a response. I think the owner's name is Gery???

20170915_175326.jpg

I was in touch with them recently. Unless something changed very recently, they're selling some reproductions on Ebay but not doing custom and order work. Feel free to try them.

So far I only see a Fisher & Scott rewind offering. Hopefully more will be offered. I will be watching with cash in hand....

I was in touch with them recently. Unless something changed very recently, they're selling some reproductions on Ebay but not doing custom and order work. Feel free to try them.
Hopefully he will build more of what he used to list on his site. Holister isn't too far from me. Shipping was pretty fast.

I have a 2k45 a-a OPT that I would really like to get in pair form. It was from a lab amp, and delivered flat frequency response was to 125k cps...and down to 15 before it had fallen by a single dB. Can't help wondering if my usual provider would not be the better option, since even the super complex Peerless S-271-S gave them no fits...:)

Having good OPT's in pair form is the quickest means of taking them out of the cloning/re-wind pile. Unfortunately a pair of BOH-14's and S-258-Q's have that status. The BOH-14's are the big Chicago OPT's with the CFB tertiary winding *AND* 33% U-L taps. They have both completed some very fine amps...and I'd love to have another few sets laying about. A spare pair of the S265Q and S271S are already holding down my TX rack, so life is not so bad...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

Last edited:
I have a 2k45 a-a OPT that I would really like to get in pair form. It was from a lab amp, and delivered flat frequency response was to 125k cps...and down to 15 before it had fallen by a single dB. Can't help wondering if my usual provider would not be the better option, since even the super complex Peerless S-271-S gave them no fits...:)

I once tried out a pair of mint condition Krohn-Hite UF-101 (?) laboratory amplifiers in my system. The specs and build quality were phenomenal,as was the size and weight.
Omg,these were the worst sounding amplifiers I have ever heard in my life,before or since! They completely utterly sucked the life out of everything that went through them.
I seem to recall that they used peaking circuitry (a la video amplifier?) and bucketloads of feedback to achieve their performance.Not really a recipe for sucess...

This was my introduction to the reality that specs and build do not always equate with something you would necessarily want to listen to.I don't think I have ever been more disappointed:(

I had a couple of those K-H amps, they used an OPT like the McIintosh unity-coupled...equal loads on plate and cathode and PPP 6CD5's I think. The plate caps and lots of little bits got salvaged...but the OPT's are awaiting another circuit design...I suspect that the large amount of NFB, both loop and local was responsible for their sonics.

Minimalist circuits, with a minimum of stages, maximum energy delivery capability( overbuilt power supplies) and no loop NFB has served pretty well so far...:)
cheers,
Douglas

I emailed Gery two weeks ago, he replied he was building them on a limited basis. I ordered two pair and they arrived last Friday! :banana:He really does build a nice product.

I used a pair of Torrids for my SA232 Berrning screen drive, and a pair of conventional ones for my 2A3 job. I now have a big drawer full of new in the box stuff, because the main dude told me he thought their winding days were over, and I bought as much s I could swing at the time. Mostly OPTs but "some" Torrid power TXs as well. It's kinda cool to have stuff like that on hand in case a bug bites you. All that is great I guess, but Heyboer is so tough to beat, just because of the customer service. They will definitely help you figure out what you need, like air gapped chokes, etc.....

Back
Top Bottom