The MX-117 has arrived!!!

centsless

After waiting for six looooong months, it came yesterday from Tom. It is like brand friggin' new! It is the perfect match to the 2205. The tuner is badazz as it is bringing stations in with a clarity of a CD. I can't be any happier with this item. Love the three button equalizer...and it's gorgeous!...:) Thanks again Tom!
IMG_4300.JPG IMG_4300.JPG IMG_4298.JPG

Thanks.......and where do you guys usually set the gains on the 2205? I have a little past half and seems about right. Also, do they offer chrome sides for the 2205 to match the 117? Thanks for any replies........

The MC2205 end caps do match the MX117 end caps! No swapping or changes necessary.

Larry

Hmm ... Looks like someone put the end caps off of an MC7300 on your MC2205. VintageMac is correct - the stock end caps match perfectly.

Very nice MX117. To date, it's my favorite stereo Mc tuner / preamp. It has all you need, and nothing you don't. I still do own an MR75 - the tuner that the tuner in the MX117 is based off of.

Hmm ... Looks like someone put the end caps off of an MC7300 on your MC2205. VintageMac is correct - the stock end caps match perfectly.

Very nice MX117. To date, it's my favorite stereo Mc tuner / preamp. It has all you need, and nothing you don't. I still do own an MR75 - the tuner that the tuner in the MX117 is based off of.

Thanks....yea...the end caps on my 2205 are not chrome. Hopefully I can find a set.

Contact Larry - @VintageMac above.

I took off the end cap and is just a flat bar so this is the 7300 end cap? Thanks for link Caddy and had already seen his web-site as I was looking around. Feel a little mad at myself for not seeing this before but who switches end caps!?...sheesh. IMG_4301.JPG

I don't know if stock but my MC2205 has the same end caps as yours.
You have a very nice system.

I am of course prejudiced but IMHO my MX117 is one of the best looking McIntosh components ever designed. Everything is so well defined and layed out on it’s panel that even a caveman could operate it!

The fact that it it has a great tuner and a very good preamp only add to its appeal to me. As always, with vintage McIntosh YMMV.

I personally believe,they could sell 3,000 to 4,000 units if they brought it back as a commeretive unit and priced it under $3,000, but I don’t know if these numbers are worthwhile for McIntosh.

In the meantime I will enjoy listening to my MX117 and admiring its stellar design and wonderful sound.

This 117 is stellar. After a few days of playing it, I am stunned at how nice the tuner is. The features on it are perfect. I am going to bring down my Akai RTR and set it up on this system.

This system is beautiful. I also love McIntosh tuner preamplifiers. The MX 113 is my all time favorite model, and followed by the FM only MX 114, the latter is listened to daily. Your MX 117 is beautiful!

The Mx117 and MR 75 were discontinued so that Mac could allocate the remaining ganged analog tuner parts to the even more popular MAC4100 receiver. All three of these units used the same tuner sub circuits.

I took off the end cap and is just a flat bar so this is the 7300 end cap? Thanks for link Caddy and had already seen his web-site as I was looking around. Feel a little mad at myself for not seeing this before but who switches end caps!?...sheesh. View attachment 1087179

Yes , this is a (018-345) MC7270 or MC7300 end cap . None end cap is chromed , they are just polished

Larry will supply you any end cap you need

This system is beautiful. I also love McIntosh tuner preamplifiers. The MX 113 is my all time favorite model, and followed by the FM only MX 114, the latter is listened to daily. Your MX 117 is beautiful!

Thanks. Tom did me "guuuud" on this one as it looks brand new. He told me he hand polished everything....inside and outside and not even the smallest defect anywhere. The tuner specs were better than factory.

He sent me the spec sheet that Terry had performed...the owners manual...schematics...laminated layout for installing this unit into a wood rack...and of course...the box. I couldn't be more pleased and now realize why I had to wait.

And for the end caps, I will contact Larry but wished he did Paypal.

I've seen Tom's hand polishing and cosmetic work being done in person. Tom Manley's a master craftsman on that work. He's meticulous. no rushing or shortcuts taken. I am fortunate, he's near me, no more than 45 minutes maximum drive away. Tom and Terry are long time friends of mine.

I managed to set up the Akai GX-650D today and record a complete tape. This system makes everything shine. The sound is incredible....crisp...clear...powerful ..with bass in spades. Still trying to comprehend all of this....lol....whew!20180115_164949.jpg 20180115_153716.jpg

I managed to set up the Akai GX-650D today and record a complete tape. This system makes everything shine. The sound is incredible....crisp...clear...powerful ..with bass in spades. Still trying to comprehend all of this....lol....whew!View attachment 1089956

Looks really great.

But you clearly do not live in earthquake territory. The pix below was taken in my Mountain View, CA apartment on Oct. 17, 1989 about 30 minutes after the Loma Prieta earthquake. Note that my then 13-year-old Teac RR is not sitting right on my high end cinderblock "rack" with the left side hanging in the air. The good news is the earthquake energy moved left - right in the pix. Had the rack been oriented at 90 degrees, the Teac (and maybe the whole rack) would have ended up on the floor. The Teac is now 41 years old and still connected and working in my system as is my VPI turntable (under the orange cover in the 1st pix).

Earthquake002 2.jpg

I almost lost my high end Icom shortwave receiver too. You see no lights in the rack above or the digital clock on top of the Icom receiver below as the power was out for many hours.
Earthquake003 2.jpg

The point is, since 1989, I've kept the top-heavy Teac close to the ground.
P1000004 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom