JBL re-introducing the L-100

For the same money you can buy some serious speakers like these from Pure Audio.

Trio15TB-Open-Baffle-Speakers-by-PureAudioProject-WD.jpg

This site is largely about finding and restoring the nicer audio gear that was made a long time ago. That may not be what grumpy wanted or intended for this site to be about, but that is for the most part what the crowd here consists of, in my observation. That is why virtually nobody here, myself included, is up on todays offerings in the arena of speakers.

According to grumpy...

"Do you think AK is about vintage and cheap? If you do then you have the wrong web site. Its about a community who appreciates all audio and music."

Good idea, but the VAST majority as far as I can tell AND myself included, are all about vintage.

Grumpy is the current owner of AK, but not the founder. Here is a thread on the history of the site.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/who-started-the-audiokarma-site.780033/

Regards
Mister Pig

What I find ironic is how so many people on this site talk about the wonderful build quality of vintage components. How audio companies really took pride in what they build. How people sacrificed to buy audio equipment back in the day, and that it was worth it.

Yet when an audio company comes out with a product that is a reflection of what was offered back in the day. What do these people say?

"HELL NO! Why would I pay that kind of money for something that cost a few hundred back 40 years ago?"

Yet these are the same people who say that a XYZ vintage component would cost thousands to build today if it were new. And many also say, "I wish i could buy one of these new again." Of course they mean at 1970 prices, because when that modern legacy component is rolled out with 2018 prices, there is no way they will pay that kind of money.

The reality is that many AKers, not all mind you, are cheap tightwads. They are unwilling to pay what a modern, NEW, component sells for. So that is why we have so many threads about estate sales, thrift shops, and craigslist. There are many people here care more for the art of the deal than audio playback. They are even unwilling to pay the market price for a good used piece of vintage gear that offers a great sound versus price ratio due to the fact that it is no longer new.

There seems to be evidence for the idea that AKers are cheap.

Regards
Mister Pig

What I find ironic is how so many people on this site talk about the wonderful build quality of vintage components. How audio companies really took pride in what they build. How people sacrificed to buy audio equipment back in the day, and that it was worth it.

Yet when an audio company comes out with a product that is a reflection of what was offered back in the day. What do these people say?

"HELL NO! Why would I pay that kind of money for something that cost a few hundred back 40 years ago?"

Yet these are the same people who say that a XYZ vintage component would cost thousands to build today if it were new. And many also say, "I wish i could buy one of these new again." Of course they mean at 1970 prices, because when that modern legacy component is rolled out with 2018 prices, there is no way they will pay that kind of money.

The reality is that many AKers, not all mind you, are cheap tightwads. They are unwilling to pay what a modern, NEW, component sells for. So that is why we have so many threads about estate sales, thrift shops, and craigslist. There are many people here care more for the art of the deal than audio playback. They are even unwilling to pay the market price for a good used piece of vintage gear that offers a great sound versus price ratio due to the fact that it is no longer new.

There seems to be evidence for the idea that AKers are cheap.

Regards
Mister Pig
So audiokarma is about vintage and cheap?

It's funny because I started on this forum about 8 yrs ago and there still posting about the same stuff. Nothing changes. Bring up anything new and your toxic and labeled with a scull and crossbones. :rflmao:

L100s were expensive in the 1970s. Not in my trusty GMM catalog but my recollection is about $300@.

$4k for a pair of well made & good sounding loudspeakers in 2017 isn't at all unreasonable.

You're absolutely correct. In '76 or '77, I attempted to purchase a new pair of L100's. I seem to remember they were $330ea. The store was out of stock and told me they would be in "next week".
When next week turned into 2 weeks, I got discouraged and got my deposit back. As it turned out, I just then came across a mint, one owner pair of Altec Flamencos locally. I grabbed them and still have to this day.
I did eventually acquire JBL's. I still have a pair each of 4311's, L100's, & L166. Infectious for sure. I can't wait to hear peoples impressions of the new models.

THE AK moniker is "ALL AUDIO, NO ATTITUDE". That means ALL AUDIO. You do not have to participate in the discussions of new equipment and technologies, but it is YOUR LOSS. How can you know you can have the best system you can, at your price point, if you don't go out and objectively listen? it boggles my mind how narrow minded so many audiophiles are.
Folks. Listen up now.

bt - that’s rich ...

I think the funny thing is everyone seems to be assuming these are just re-booted JBL L100's. Like they just fired up the tooling and started cranking out $666 speakers and slapping a $4k price tag on them. I don't think they share anything with the originals other than 3-way, aesthetics, and the name. Maybe you should compare them to something modern that LOOKS similar, like a Harbeth SHL5 or some PMC's or any other modern high end brand.

These aren't targeted at the AKer who can pick up a set at a yard sale and recap them and then jump online to talk about their latest "scroe." These are targeted at people with a more refined taste that don't want used shit. People who would spend this much or more for re-imaged JBLs from Kenrick Sound in Japan. People who prefer German cars to Detroit Motor Cities finest. People who will spend the $$$ on BRAND NEW MC275's to run with them. Basically most people who don't have a clue what Barter Town is.

I pre-ordered two sets.

- Woody

J/K. I have 4312's already.

I'll probably never own a pair, may never even hear a pair, but I'm glad JBL is doing this. It shows a connection to their glorified past. As ictwoody said, these aren't just the same design and components from 40 years ago. These are high quality modern speakers that pay an homage to the past.

I'm also thrilled with the offings from Kenrick sound. A rising tide lifts all boats. So, keep 'em coming!

BNM

I'll probably never own a pair, may never even hear a pair, but I'm glad JBL is doing this. It shows a connection to their glorified past. As ictwoody said, these aren't just the same design and components from 40 years ago. These are high quality modern speakers that pay an homage to the past.

I'm also thrilled with the offings from Kenrick sound. A rising tide lifts all boats. So, keep 'em coming!

BNM

Not the Titanic. Or the Bismark.

Oink snort grunt oink snort.....wanders away....wonder where I laid that truffle down at?

Regards
Mister Pig

THE AK moniker is "ALL AUDIO, NO ATTITUDE". That means ALL AUDIO. You do not have to participate in the discussions of new equipment and technologies, but it is YOUR LOSS. How can you know you can have the best system you can, at your price point, if you don't go out and objectively listen? it boggles my mind how narrow minded so many audiophiles are.
I don't speak for everyone, just myself. That said, the audio hobby for me is part listening, part restoring, part collecting. Vintage audio covers all three bases. New covers only one base and that is listening. There is no collecting or restoring involved in new. It's just buy, hook up, listen.....boring. The vintage purchase is like this.....search long and hard, buy, restore, hook up, listen. Much more fun than new. The vintage audio gear also has more coolness factor.

You can call it my loss and narrow minded on my part for excluding new gear, but the new audio gear hobby is just plain no fun no matter how it sounds. I like to restore and listen to my restoration rather then buy it, hook it up and call it a done deal. I listen to the gear (my restored gear) and the music, not just the music. Listening to vintage gear is part of the hobby to me.

Back
Top Bottom