Wrong knobs for a MC2505?

psychoaudio

I didn't do it
Subscriber
i saw this for sale and noticed the knobs are different compared to my 2505-2..are these in the foto wrong or did the knobs come in 2 different styles?6247EAE5-0FA3-4903-8293-68E20F1D38D8.jpeg

i saw this for sale and noticed the knobs are different compared to my 2505-2..are these in the foto wrong or did the knobs come in 2 different styles?View attachment 1085493
Surprisingly, whoever did this did not swap the side rails to the newer style as well. Right now you have a mis-match.
Back in the early 80's, I upgraded my C28 preamp to a C32. The first thing I did was order from McIntosh 2 complete sets of newer style knobs & end caps to outfit both a 2505 and an MR77 tuner. The transformation of the older pieces was amazing, particularly the MR77. It really took on the look of the MR78.

I guess in your case it would depend on which vintage of Mac gear you choose to pair with. At that point you could track down the appropriate knob or end caps.

ps. I may still have the original style knobs on hand somewhere. I sold both that preamp and amp to the same person. He bought as is and did not want to change back to the older style.
PM me if you end up needing to locate some.

Last edited:
Changed all my Knobs when I got my C-29. The Mpi-4. 2505, and MR-77 and MQ 101. Things have changed but the 2505 and MPI-4 still have the modern knobs. Wish all the brass end plates were the same. I changed a few over the years but I have 4 different styles now . MR 78, 2505 and MPI-4 1 style, MR 80 a style, C-34 and 7084 a style, the MC 205, 207, MX 151 a style. Maybe that will be my next thing to do. Reduce the number of styles. Two would be nice. I wonder if the 2505 style would work on the MR-80 or maybe a MR 88 style and the style of modern pre-amps would work on the C-34. The Narrow 7084 is going to be the real issue.

The 2505 style (018-120) will fit the MR80 (and visa-versa). The MR80 type is the 108-160. These are also interchangeable with the MR7084 style (018-438). When it comes to the MR88 type (018-630) those are different - there is an offset that just doesn't work with the original style. So prior to the MR88 style, all are interchangeable.

Larry

One of the best things about McIntosh is the "forecast" styling that allows equipment of different generations to blend seamlessly (or nearly as much as possible) with one another. Knob switching may have been frowned upon by late great GG, but he also appreciated what the customer wanted.

I think Mc is missing an opportunity by not reproducing those MC2205 knobs given all the MC2505/2105 in the wild...but of course I don't have the data to grind the numbers...

Last edited:
I think Mc is missing an opportunity by not reproducing those MC2205 knobs given all the MC2505/2105 in the wild...but of course I'm don't have the data to grind the numbers...

Not to mention all the MRxx tuners that preceded the MR78 & 80. I'm telling you, the MR77 took on an entirely new look that was quite pleasing with the addition of newer knobs & end caps.

The 2505 style (018-120) will fit the MR80 (and visa-versa). The MR80 type is the 108-160. These are also interchangeable with the MR7084 style (018-438). When it comes to the MR88 type (018-630) those are different - there is an offset that just doesn't work with the original style. So prior to the MR88 style, all are interchangeable.

Larry
Am I missing something here? Has anyone checked Mcintosh parts lately to see if any of these newer OR older knobs are still available? Has anyone tried to "modernize" an MR77 lately? I repaired a damaged MC300 about five years ago (not my current one) and had to buy one knob. Gale told me then there were only two left in the bin. This style was from the newer C34V era. Shorter length. You see an occasional knob on ebay but they are random sizes from unknown models and sell for $25 and up each.

I come across mcitnosh units at times with missing parts but Im hesitant pulling the trigger without knowing about the availability of replacement parts.For example,I owned an MX110Z w/o a bottom cover and discovered the MR11 bottom cover to work..how about expanding the discussion about parts interchangeability..ie plain face plates,bottom panels etc..etc. is there a sticky or type of got to reference perhaps?

As for me I switched to the newer style long ago. It took a while to get enough knobs. I couldn't find a large knob for my MR-77 at first so I just ran a bit of tape around the edge leaving about 1/8" of overhang around it. Then painted the knob black. From 8' away you couldn't tell it was not the right knob. Eventually I traded some old style knobs for that knob.

I've done most of the knobs and end caps. What it takes is poring over all the old service manuals and noting part numbers. Then entering those in a database so you can spot common parts between units. Its a long process, but it could be done. The problem is that there are so many parts involved....

When I was doing the knobs, I found long versions, short versions, Metric mount, American mount, one-part knobs, two-part knobs, etc. It was overwhelming and got so complex I never finished the project.

Larry

Some of the first knobs I bought were metric and wouldn't fit. They were the small 2 part knobs.

As for me I switched to the newer style long ago. It took a while to get enough knobs. I couldn't find a large knob for my MR-77 at first so I just ran a bit of tape around the edge leaving about 1/8" of overhang around it. Then painted the knob black. From 8' away you couldn't tell it was not the right knob. Eventually I traded some old style knobs for that knob.

Mike...would the tuning knob from a MAC4100 work on the MR77?

Has anyone converted an entire unit, from the first generation to the second (like going from a C28 to C29), in the last 2-3 years? Did you get the parts all at one time? Was it piece by piece over a year? Even getting one lost knob, how long did it take to find one? What was your source; an ebay auction?

I have no idea Eric. Adam316 traded me for the one I have which is off I believe a MR-74. The only trouble I had with knobs fitting was with the small knobs and the 2 part knobs. Some were metric and others are not.

Reason I made the suggestion is the original MR77 tuning knob is very large and was only ever used on that unit. If looking to update the MR77 knobs, the MAC4100 tuning knob (also quite large, which again was only ever used on that MAC) would seem to be the ideal choice- assuming that it fits.

MR77_Front_01.jpg

Reason I made the suggestion is the original MR77 tuning knob is very large and was only ever used on that unit. If looking to update the MR77 knobs, the MAC4100 tuning knob (also quite large, which again was only ever used on that MAC) would seem to be the ideal choice- assuming that it fits.

MR77_Front_01.jpg

That is one sweet looking tuner. Brings back fond memories.

Back
Top Bottom