One Subwoofer Two Systems

Beatnik

What's this ?
I have this Klipsch KSW-300 sub that's currently in my HT system, but would like to maybe use it with my two channel setup also. Would I have to physically disconnect the Line IN or LFE and insert the Hi Level banana jacks to do this each time ?

Here's the manual:

http://images.klipsch.com/KSWManual_635042115243500000.pdf

These systems are on adjacent walls, I think decent sub placement could be managed.

I would say, yes, you can hook up two different systems to the sub and not have to connect/disconnect any cables depending on what you want to listen to.

My Epik Valor sub has these separate connections as well (LFE, and dedicated/separate L/R line inputs).

And I hook up my AVR and Int Amp with HT Byass with preouts to the sub:
AVR Sub out to the sub LFE input
Int Amp preouts to the sub L/R inputs

Works perfectly.

I have more info on how this works if anyone is interested.

HT is Parasound P/SP-1000 and HCA- 806 amp to Paradigm Studio 20. The 2 channel is a Pioneer SA950 to a pair of DCM Timeframes.

The sub has Hi Level ins/outs, Line ins/outs and LFE. No switch to choose inputs. Says in that manual not to use both ?

Last edited:
HT is Parasound P/SP-1000 and HCA- 806 amp to Paradigm Studio 20. The 2 channel is a Pioneer SA950 to a pair of DCM Timeframes.

The sub has Hi Level ins/outs, Line ins/outs and LFE. No switch to choose inputs. Says in that manual not to use up both ?
The manual may be warning about having both systems hooked up and turned on at the same time. In which case the sub input circuitry could be over driven and damaged.

It is a risk with two truly separate systems.

But if one system is always off or muted with the other system active - should not be any problems.

All I can say is that with my setup - which is unique for a hybrid/combo Home Theater/2-channel music setup, my sub has worked flawlessly hooked up to both.

I wouldn't. Not until someone who understood the circuitry better than I do assured me it was okay. Connecting two outputs together raises a red flag in my mind. Will the one turned off be, uh, let's say back-driven by the active one? Are there diodes or something to prevent this? Inquiring minds want to know.

You could very easily create a project box with a switch to flip between the two. This would ensure that the signals never cross.

I wouldn't. Not until someone who understood the circuitry better than I do assured me it was okay. Connecting two outputs together raises a red flag in my mind. Will the one turned off be, uh, let's say back-driven by the active one? Are there diodes or something to prevent this? Inquiring minds want to know.

I half considered the idea of potentially using rca and speaker selector switches to function as cutoffs but it's kind of convoluted. Honestly I wish someone would make the modern equivalent of the Onkyo U-30 also wish they'd sold more of those.

Edit, I see I'm not the only one thinking this.

I'm seeing both scenarios. I need an a/b switch with rca on one side and banana on the other to be sure. lol

Always err on the side of caution.

In my case I talked with Chad who *was* Epik subwoofers (before going/driven out of business) and described what I wanted to do.

He said that the LFE input bypasses all of the internal circuitry related to the L/R inputs except for amplification on the sub's plate amp and that I would be 'fine' with what I wanted to do.

No back driving etc.

So for MY sub - has worked perfect for years now.

I've got 2 bucks into this so far, here's where I'm at currently. I have it all in my head, hopefully it goes as planned.

20180115_081540.jpg

Back
Top Bottom