Is there a need for a dedicated headphone amp with Mc amp and preamp?

jchouston

Just scored a pair of AKG K280 Parabolic headphones and one user said they benefit from a dedicated headphone amp.

Surely, my C32 and MC2505 would be sufficient without the need for additional gear, right?

Note, I'm at work so I can't test them just yet; hence my question to help pass time until I can. =)

Just scored a pair of AKG K280 Parabolic headphones and one user said they benefit from a dedicated headphone amp.

Surely, my C32 and MC2505 would be sufficient without the need for additional gear, right?

Note, I'm at work so I can't test them just yet; hence my question to help pass time until I can. =)

The C32 will be more than adequate. The headphone jack is fed by the on-board monitor amp. Top jack - electrostatics. Bottom jack - low impedance.

Thanks.

And, my God, I love your signature line...

Any idea which would better serve those headphones: electrostatic or low impedance?

Thanks.

And, my God, I love your signature line...

Any idea which would better serve those headphones: electrostatic or low impedance?

They're dynamic headphones so the lower jack will be fine.

Regarding the signature....you can thank my buddy @biscuithead for that for that one.

They're dynamic headphones so the lower jack will be fine.

Regarding the signature....you can thank my buddy @biscuithead for that for that one.

Yeah I wrote that... I had my back up about somethin'... and I started slandering like a wild man... Maybe I'll run for prez' and get voted in 'cause I ain't PC...:D I was probably drinking, I've done a lot of that since Nov 2016...
Much love to my audio-bro techguy :hug:

If a balanced cable is available for your 'phones, I would suggest driving them off of the 8 ohm tax from the 2505. I have Sennheiser HD600s with balanced cables that I am driving from a pair of MC2205s (one each in mono mode for each channel). I also have the regular "3 contact" cable. Believe me, the balanced cables make all the difference in the world. And the 2505 would have plenty of power (maybe too much if you are not careful). On my setup, the meters barely go above 0.02 watts. My normal "casual" listening level is about 0.002 watts. And, separating the negative leads (so each channel has distinct negative feeds) REALLY does add to the clarity and definition.

Back
Top Bottom