Computer cases without optical drive bays?

mzeitlin3348

See it and Believe
I am getting ready to replace my computer case with a new one so I can more easily swap disk drives.
I like the glass ones from Corsair
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811139087

but notice that there is no bay for a DVD/CD burner? I read that these are obsolete and unnecessary !
I still have lots of CD's I am 'digitizing' to play through my DAC and home network and to my old vintage gear. I also back up my system and burn recovery disks. I don't understand why there are no optical drive bays?

Can someone recommend a cool computer case - clear - that has optical drive bays?
Thanks

There aren't many options.

The In Win 509 has a tempered glass side and front, and an external 5.25" bay:
https://www.inwin-style.com/en/gaming-chassis/509

There's also the Thermaltake Tower 900, which definitely falls under the "clear" definition:
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002974

Honestly, though, your best option is probably to buy the Corsair case that you like and use an external USB DVD/CD burner. The market has moved on to where backups are done in the cloud, and recovery disks are made using USB keys.

I use an Antec 900 which has several bays, I believe there is a new variant out which should have the bays still. If you;'re fine with shelling out some cash I reccomed you check out Lian Li, they have all sorts of cool Aluminum cases in just about any shape or size.

Outboard drives are easy to find and cheap. That's what I did when I bought a slender new notebook. I think it was $30 and it's fine for ripping CDs.

thermaltake-armor-lcs-vh600lbws_ies25227.jpg

I have one of these Thermaltake Armors and it's by far the most versatile cases I've owned for swapping any type of hardware in and out. Hard drives, disc drives take seconds to add/move/replace, lots of configuration options.

Outboard drives are easy to find and cheap. That's what I did when I bought a slender new notebook. I think it was $30 and it's fine for ripping CDs.

I would seriously consider this option. You could then buy any case you like and plug in the optical drive as needed.

While it's not a clear case, I have a CoolerMaster case I bought a few years ago when I did my most recent computer build. It might help to visit a place like Micro Center (if you have one nearby) to see what is out there. Sometimes a "gamer" style of case is what is needed. For me, I wanted black--I don't want to see or hear my computer. ;) Two of my three drive bays are full--one is a DVD writer, the other a BluRay writer. I use both to rip CDs simultaneously using the dBpoweramp batch ripper. Could use a third drive if I wanted to, but I'm pretty much done with bulk ripping. Drives are so cheap (a commodity item, really) that if there are hundreds or thousands of CDs to rip, it pays to buy one or two extras.

I'm no fan of external drives--it's just more desktop clutter to deal with. YMMV of course.

My pc is tucked away inside my desk, and i have a usb hub and start button on my desk and a external usb dvd-drive from LG.
Runs great and doesn't even need external power.

Back
Top Bottom