What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

A most excellent answer my friend! And I am sorry to have put you to task on the question but thank you for obliging me. I have been drinking fairly heavily and am currently singing Nice Girls by Any Trouble on the top of my lungs (which isn't something I am any good at), so suffice it to say I will have to re-read this when my state of mind is more receptive. One of the reasons I don't collect classical is the dilemma that is illustrated in just organizing it, which translates to the dilemma in finding it. I would change my mind so many times in regards to preferences and thought processes that I would end up frustrated. More power to you, maybe one day I will get there...

You are most welcome. I aspire to the kind of organizational ability displayed by yourself and @pumpkinman et al. One day, I hope to know a)what I have and b)where it is. At that point, I will consider that I have a music collection rather than an accumulation of media and files. I've spent most of the last year accumulating more music than I ever believed I would ever have access to. I certainly won't live long enough to be able to hear it all. Now, I have to get it organized so that I can turn it from a more-or-less random selection to an on-demand music system.

Copy you on the alcohol content. Only one thing better than music, and that's music with liquid refreshment, which in my case is being addressed by Innis And Gunn IPA. CHEERS! :beerchug:

1200x630bf.jpg

You are most welcome. I aspire to the kind of organizational ability displayed by yourself and @pumpkinman et al. One day, I hope to know a)what I have and b)where it is. At that point, I will consider that I have a music collection rather than an accumulation of media and files. I've spent most of the last year accumulating more music than I ever believed I would ever have access to. I certainly won't live long enough to be able to hear it all. Now, I have to get it organized so that I can turn it from a more-or-less random selection to an on-demand music system.

Copy you on the alcohol content. Only one thing better than music, and that's music with liquid refreshment, which in my case is being addressed by Innis And Gunn IPA. CHEERS! :beerchug:

:beerchug: Tonight's opinions are brought to you by our sponsor, Schlafly's Pilsner on tap.

No problem on the late welcomes. Thanks!

I'm late with my intro thread and answering some questions from last week. The receiver is a Sansui 350A, the table is a Sanyo TP-1020 with AT95e, into my Bose 201s I bought in high school.

Sticking with'75 for my next album. Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow.
IMG_20180112_222448.jpg

That sir, Is detailed. Think I'll buy a record box just for my ongoing classical collection.

That makes sense. I've noticed before that when I add a purchase of a couple hundred CDs, they pretty well disappear. I'd definitely keep them separated. Right now, it's actually the only organization I have going on; classical in one section, everything else in another.

It's a good question, and not one that is easily answered.

It depends, partly, on the kind of recording and what the focus is. When a single composer is responsible for the contents of the disk, it's easy. But then, you have recordings that are split, usually thematically. An example might be Beethoven's 5th and Schubert's 8th, or Orff's Carmina Burana and Beethoven's 9th. In those cases, you probably have to bite the bullet, and decide which of the recordings is more important to you and file accordingly.

Next, you have featured singers or instrumentalists, doing program work by various composers. Jacqueline du Pré (cello) and Kathleen Battle (soprano) are good examples here.

There are more divisions, and you can add as much complexity as you want. What we generally refer to as "classical" is actually split into mediaeval, baroque, classical, romantic, 20th century and 21st century, but those divisions are pretty arbitrary and only take account of the time that the composer was working, so Handel and Vivaldi (baroque) are considered to be somehow the same, even though one was a Catholic priest and the other spent his life cruising the courts of Europe, pissing off royalty with his "f*** you" attitude.

Secular and sacred music form another important divide, and then you can also add in crossover music. You are, I'm sure, familiar with Sting and would likely classify him with The Police in your collection, but he is classified in my classical collection as a Deutsche Grammophon artist, lutenist, vocalist, Mediaeval due to his "Songs From The Labyrinth" in which he sang and played music that was 450 years old.

So, if I was as organized as I should be, I'd probably start with single composer, alphabetized, followed by splits, alphabetizing the main composer on the disk. Then, I'd go to featured soloist, featured orchestra, featured conductor and then figure out the oddments that were left over such as film scores with mostly classical content, thematic recordings by multiple orchestras, single instrument focus with multiple artists and composers.

Hope that goes some way to answering your question.
My classical vinyl collection is so small that I simply go by composer. I've only got like 50 single albums and about 20 box sets. The classical and jazz CD's are mixed in with everything else. So J.S. Bach is between The B-52's and Bad English. Art Blakey is in between Black Sabbath and Blink 182. It's musical rollercoaster baby!

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (Deathlike Silence Productions DSP Anti-Mosh 006), compact disc, playing on my Nakamichi

Quiz:

1. What band from Norway experienced their bass player murdering their guitarist?

2. What band from Norway experienced their most popular vocalist commit suicide, depicted on an infamous bootleg cover artwork?

3. What band from Norway, with Bathory from Sweden, revived Black Metal and crafted Norwegian Black Metal into the most interesting Metal genre of the 1990s?

4. What band did member illini listen to over and over again on the dark and foreboding UIUC campus circa 2000-2004?

Hint: The True

Only Norwegian band I remember is TNT, 80's metal natch. Pretty kick ass. Got one of their records around here. Doubt that's the answer.

That makes sense. I've noticed before that when I add a purchase of a couple hundred CDs, they pretty well disappear. I'd definitely keep them separated. Right now, it's actually the only organization I have going on; classical in one section, everything else in another.

Its funny, I am not an anal retentive kind of person but I can't function with my music disorganized. I already spend to much time deciding on something, finding it and cueing it up. I also do the same thing as you, new arrivals are quarantined until I sort through them and identify keepers. From there they go in the trade bait rack or into the general collection which I don't segregate by genre. That last part may change out of necessity soon. I don't have the largest collection but even at 2500-3000 LPs I cant imagine them not being alphabetized at least by first letter and artist inside that letter, which is as obsessive as I care to be.

Back
Top Bottom