What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

R-1627740-1488065992-8949.jpeg.jpg

Trying something I've never listened to. Hell, never even heard of!

The Baker Gurvitz Army - 1975
I'm sorry. Absolutely the worst album I own.

Its funny, I am not an anal retentive kind of person but I can't function with my music disorganized. I already spend to much time deciding on something, finding it and cueing it up. I also do the same thing as you, new arrivals are quarantined until I sort through them and identify keepers. From there they go in the trade bait rack or into the general collection which I don't segregate by genre. That last part may change out of necessity soon. I don't have the largest collection but even at 2500-3000 LPs I cant imagine them not being alphabetized at least by first letter and artist inside that letter, which is as obsessive as I care to be.

Hey FW - I would say, don't overthink it. Come up with a system that works for you. I don't alphabetize, but I put pianists in one area, drummers in another. They're alongside the trumpet players. I have my Basie and Ellington records together along with guys like Quincy Jones and Thad Jones/Mel Lewis - big band stuff. But there will be small group Basie and Ellington in there with the big band stuff. I actually have a Bach section and I put all the keyboard works and keyboard players together. They might be next to organists. The choral works are with the orchestral stuff . I don't know where everything is at the drop of a hat, but I have a basic idea.

I could have a Chopin section I guess, but with classical pianists, I put them together by artist, not composer. So I know where to go to find classical piano. There are a few artists that I put together, because I know they were friends, like Roy Eldridge, Coleman Hawkins, Eddie Locke, and Jo Jones.

Make up your own personal system! Have fun with it!

:thumbsup:Hey Fuzzy, What's up? Any decision on the cartridge? Just checking. My Grado offer stands. Let me know when able.

I am having decision angst. I want another Denon but don't want to spend that kind of cash. the Nagaoka sounds like the right choice and the Grado seems like the sleeper to me. I really appreciate the offer and probably should take you up on it. I just hate putting my Buds out about something I can just resolve myself. I ain't sayin no to your offer, but I almost ordered all 3 of those carts at separate time in the last couple days. I need to get off my ass and make a decision, or get more info by taking you up on your generous offer. Thank you again btw.

I tried obsessing. It ain't fun. So I find something that looks playable, which doesn't take much digging due to the amount I have on my PC, and crack another beer. Silence is the only thing I dread, and there's no need for that.

When I got back from my northern prison stint, I was surrounded by music and found I'd lost my mojo. I sat in silence, not even wanting to fire anything up. My rock favourites left me cold, ditto my classics. I didn't want to hear anything. I couldn't imagine wanting to hear anything. I distinctly remember posting those feelings at the time. I had to ease myself back in. I didn't even turn my amplifier on for a week after getting home.

Now I'm back to my normal standards of constant sounds, and can't imagine going through that spell, even though I remember it well.

Normally an intervention stops people from obsessive behavior. On this thread it is quite the opposite. Next time PM me or we will have to strap you down and force feed you music until you come to your senses...

Cheers Gents :beerchug:

I love everything I've ever heard from Isao Tomita. This is no exception. Someday I'll find his take on Pictures At An Exhibition...can't wait to hear what he does with Mussorgsky's A Night On Bare Mountain.
You completely forget what you were listening to with Tomita. He breaks it down like a jazz artist, but in a spacey, trippy inter-planetary way.
Tomita ~ Firebird
1976 RCA Red Label ARL1 1312
https://www.discogs.com/Tomita-The-Firebird/master/27946

014.jpg

017.jpg
His Planets (Holst) is very good.
rps20180112_210628.jpg

I am having decision angst. I want another Denon but don't want to spend that kind of cash. the Nagaoka sounds like the right choice and the Grado seems like the sleeper to me. I really appreciate the offer and probably should take you up on it. I just hate putting my Buds out about something I can just resolve myself. I ain't sayin no to your offer, but I almost ordered all 3 of those carts at separate time in the last couple days. I need to get off my ass and make a decision, or get more info by taking you up on your generous offer. Thank you again btw.

Normally an intervention stops people from obsessive behavior. On this thread it is quite the opposite. Next time PM me or we will have to strap you down and force feed you music until you come to your senses...

Cheers Gents :beerchug:

Cart decisions are one of the tougher. There's so many choices. For me comes Down to budget, And the tonearm. Let me know, Cheers!

The only problem I have with it is the head shell is shorter than the aftermarket one's. I have to angle the cart to get proper alignment. Keeps me from going down the cart collecting rabbit hole. Lol

I do have an Orbit on the way. I will give this to my Dad as long as I like the Orbit. I'm a K.I.S.S kinda guy.:beerchug:

Man I wish I was. Im always wondering about the next thing but not part with anything because I may need it someday if something breaks and I might need a spare.
So Ya, Once in a while I purge then regret it. Nuts I tell you, I'm nuts.

But I have heard great things about that Orbit TT. Once you get it let us know how you like it.

Back
Top Bottom