Today's JAZZ playlist

Lesteryoung_thecompletealladinrecor.jpg

Lester Young: The Complete Aladdin Recordings
Discs 1 & 2 of 2

View attachment 1087203

Another recent acquisition. Here is Phineas- Phineas Newborn Jr. I had not owned any PN Jr, previously. I had his name in the back of my head and so I took a dip, WOW. Cat can play. I had notion that he cracked up and after some Internet look up, I confirmed he couldn't take the rejection of his playing. Really tough story. A missed artist.

I also recently bought a Newborn Jr. album, The Newborn Touch, and it's astounding, so I'm now watching out for more of his recordings. I also looked up some of his story, wondering why I hadn't heard much of him before. It's wrenching.

I actually have the CD and ripped it FLAC format and playing it now.

One of my favorite finds last year is an early (original) pressing of this in a $1.99 box. I've rarely listened to vocal jazz, but I really like that album.

----

Anyway, I'm currently listening to McCoy Tyner's Echoes of a Friend. I recently shared a photo of it, so I won't repeat share too early.

38949023734_4178efe849_c.jpg

Acoustic Sounds order today. Nice to be able to replace originals I could no longer afford to own years ago with as good reissues. The Prestige reissues Analogue Productions are doing are as good as it gets in my opinion. I wish they would stop screwing around with the double 45 RPM versions and just go with the level of disc and jacket that they are doing for this Prestige series. They are really nice.

Back
Top Bottom