What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

I know the worst piece of "music" ever written. It is out of respect to the human race, of which the "performer" was not a part, that I have always refused to mention the name of this waste of vinyl or given any clue as to what it might be. Suffice it to say, I am not a violent person, but if I ever came close to the sub-human responsible, I'd punch him in the head, repeatedly. Showing the mediocrity of the audience of pop music, this excrement reached Number 1 in the UK. More than that, I'm not prepared to say.

I thought perhaps you were referring to 'MacArthur Park', but it only reached #4 in the UK... And Richard Harris was an excellent Arthur in 'Camelot'...

Yes! I have that on CD. It's amazing. Tomita takes the classics on such a journey that it really can't be explained. You just sit there dumbfounded at the conclusion and thinking, "Wow, where was I just now, what was I doing".
011.jpg

Looks like something I need to take a look at.

I know the worst piece of "music" ever written. It is out of respect to the human race, of which the "performer" was not a part, that I have always refused to mention the name of this waste of vinyl or given any clue as to what it might be. Suffice it to say, I am not a violent person, but if I ever came close to the sub-human responsible, I'd punch him in the head, repeatedly. Showing the mediocrity of the audience of pop music, this excrement reached Number 1 in the UK. More than that, I'm not prepared to say.
Now I'm curious. Lol.

I thought perhaps you were referring to 'MacArthur Park', but it only reached #4 in the UK... And Richard Harris was an excellent Arthur in 'Camelot'...

No, that was dire, but the one I have in mind was infinitely worse. It's the kind of thing I wish I'd never heard and convinces me I'm capable of ripping a quasi-human's tongue out of his head.

I also know that if I were reading this post, I'd be tempted to hunt down the recording and see just how bad it could be. That's why I refuse to give any clues. Not only would anyone who discovered it through me hate me for it, so would anyone who had mercifully managed to forget it. I don't think it charted outside the UK, so hopefully, no-one on this side of the pond has been subjected to it.

On to "E"...Hope your keeping track, Just kidding. Frank/MX5, Thinking about ya brother
index.php
:thumbsup:
Nice. Bob. You're taking your time with this. I see that careful consideration was taken with the letter "E". Pristine copy of the Mothership you've got there.
Don't forget our brother @zebra03. He posts more ELP than me and MX5 combined!
I'll play the remaster right now in honor of the occasion.
002.jpg

PC090001.jpg

005.jpg

016.jpg

006.jpg

PC160019.jpg

Man I wish I was. Im always wondering about the next thing but not part with anything because I may need it someday if something breaks and I might need a spare.
So Ya, Once in a while I purge then regret it. Nuts I tell you, I'm nuts.

But I have heard great things about that Orbit TT. Once you get it let us know how you like it.
IMG_20171216_202740.jpg Well he lives in the same house and it sounds nice on his AU-7500 and Kenwoods!

I guess 10" discs were the most common format. There were 12" 78s though. I love 10" LPs too!

Hey JG, I know you are a fan of Latin Jazz. Back a ways I came across a stack of what looked like latin jazz 10". They came home with me from an estate sale where I also pulled a bunch of nice Bop Jazz LPs. I will have to dust them off and post them up, I would be interested in your take on them. It was nothing I had ever heard of, but the estate was from a music teacher at our local high school. If I had my wits about me I should have just offered to take the lot of the music they had there. As it was I walked out with a couple arm loads, and left most of it behind. I almost lost it when I saw someone carry out a vintage set of Ludwig drums complete with the leather covers for peanuts that I hadn't gotten to. A bit later one of the adult children chased a buyer out the door to get all his mouthpieces back. All the kids were musicians as well and someone manged had to walk out with his personal gear...

Sat down to listen to a box set wife bought me years ago, "Love Train". I grew up about 60 miles from Philly. Early life in the 'projects". Grew up listening to Motown/TSOP stuff. Still have a big soft spot for it. The song are bringing back lots of old great memories.......

There is a vintage receiver shoot out thread here on AK and the originator used four or five receivers of 80 to 120 watts plus and a Marantz 2230 with less than half the power , He goes on to say the Marantz looks like something only a grandmother would use...after giving the first few a trial , he is astonished that the Marantz sounded better by a long shot, he than later goes on to talk about which of the first four he is now using..wtf ...if the best sounding one isn't going to be the one that gets used, why have the shoot out. A classic case of brand bias clouding a decision...Thank God for the common sense knowledge that always carries the day on this thread. I have no dog in this fight and even though I have Marantz gear I'm the first guy looking for the next superior item...any thought from my golden eared compatriots around hear..
One thing I think is clear to me at least, the more actual music you listen to and know well, the more qualified you are to know a good piece of gear when you hear one. The music references give you a great baseline of comparison...
All right I'll shut up now..

I don't generally hear much of a difference from one amp to the next, if operating properly (that's not a given with old gear). The only Marantz receiver I heard much of (a friend's) sounded fine. Don't know the model, was long ago. So maybe I have tin ears. Whatever, I am into amps regardless. Right now I favor my DIY amp, which I ran for a couple months and am preparing to test for power output etc. It needs some structural finish as well. It's hard not to like something you made yourself. I call it the Mothership.
rps20180112_214709.jpg rps20180112_214640.jpg

Up to Symphony #6 "Pastoral" in my Ludwig-a-thon.

This weekend, everything I play will come from one composer. The intention is to attempt to discover why around half of Beethoven's symphonies are absolutely familiar, while the other half are virtually unknown.

Presently listening to Claudio Abbado conducting the Berlin Philharmonic. Many more versions to get through.

Back
Top Bottom