Today's JAZZ playlist

1iY6DMJ.jpg

Aloha from Vegas, gents. Just after 7 AM here. Hit big on a 25 to 1 longshot to WIN yesterday in horse racing. Guy sitting next to me clued me in that even though the horse was a maiden (dark horse), his workouts had been incredible and he was a hidden favorite to win. And he did. Put some money on his nose and he won by 2 lengths. Easiest Vegas money I ever made.

So today, some celebratory music;

West Coast Jazz WINNER - Stan Gets

71O-LKwv3nL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
Bing was a Superstar, before the term was coined. I listened to a BBC documentary about how Bing was the KING of Radio. He was a difficult man in personal life, but in professional circles, he excelled. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09jvgph . His Kraft Music Hall was the thing. Even in the thirties my mom was hooked, she told me she'd run home after school to catch his show. His singing, a bit dated for me, was the sound of the first half of the 20th century. Frank, OTH, was alternately cool beyond belief and a bore. Hard to accomplish, but he did it. But, MAN, did he swing. With Basie's band behind him, the Sands was the place. I've listed to that album hundreds of times, it never ceases to bring joy to the house.

So true, and spot on. "American Masters" did a "Bing" special on PBS that is a must watch. You realize how HUGE the man was. And he was an entrepreneur in every sense of the word. He pioneered recording on Tape simply because he didn't want to do "Kraft Music Hall" shows five days a week. He wanted to do all five shows in 1 day and take the rest of the week off. So he started Ampex (with partners I believe) and brought high fidelity reel to reel recording (From Germany) into the limelight worldwide. He saw opportunity with frozen concentrated juices and pioneered Frozen Concentrated Orange Juice (Minute Maid). No wonder why he did all those Minute Maid commercials. He owned the company.

At his height, they said that 50 million people a week were tuning in to his radio show. That was HUGE beyond compare in the 40s. And his work with friends like Louis Armstrong were amazing. Heck, Bing Pioneered Music Video. Here it is, from the 30's with the Rhythm Boys and Bing Crosby "So the Bluebirds and the Blackbirds got Together";

I can picture my grandmother listening to this on the radio.

Back
Top Bottom