JBL re-introducing the L-100

Not the Titanic. Or the Bismark.

Oink snort grunt oink snort.....wanders away....wonder where I laid that truffle down at?

Regards
Mister Pig

A rising tide lifts most boats?

A rising tide lifts all pigs?

normal_waterba8_1_.jpg

I don't speak for everyone, just myself. That said, the audio hobby for me is part listening, part restoring, part collecting. Vintage audio covers all three bases. New covers only one base and that is listening. There is no collecting or restoring involved in new. It's just buy, hook up, listen.....boring. The vintage purchase is like this.....search long and hard, buy, restore, hook up, listen. Much more fun than new. The vintage audio gear also has more coolness factor.

You can call it my loss and narrow minded on my part for excluding new gear, but the new audio gear hobby is just plain no fun no matter how it sounds. I like to restore and listen to my restoration rather then buy it, hook it up and call it a done deal. I listen to the gear (my restored gear) and the music, not just the music. Listening to vintage gear is part of the hobby to me.

Pretty much what All Audio , No Attitude entails as exemplified in post #9 from AK founder from this thread back in 2002.
Scores, thrifts, deals, restorations and fun:beerchug:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/what-was-the-best-audio-deal-you-ever-made.2739/

I am not a JBL historian but it seems to me that along with the Quadraflex foam grille the OTHER world renowned feature of the L100 (at least for the mass market) was the white woofer. That feature was copied 100x more than the waffle grilles. Were other JBL woofers out with white cones before the L100?

These are targeted at people with a more refined taste that don't want used shit.

JBL is capitalizing on the vintage audio fad, the same way Technics is. It's all good stuff, I'm sure, but you're paying heavily for the name and design. (Actually the 1200GR didn't impress me that much for the price.)

Cool speakers, but the value isn't there for me.

I am not a JBL historian but it seems to me that along with the Quadraflex foam grille the OTHER world renowned feature of the L100 (at least for the mass market) was the white woofer. That feature was copied 100x more than the waffle grilles. Were other JBL woofers out with white cones before the L100?
The Lancer models had the white woofer and they were around before the L100.

... People who prefer German cars to Detroit Motor Cities finest...

I'd wager that people old enough and experienced enough in High Fidelity gear, would prefer Detroit's Finest, the UK's finest or Japan's finest over German brands anyday. I know I would.

Anyone old enough to remember the L100s when new, is likely in their mid 80s now and pretty set in their car purchasing patterns and would have spent most of their life buying home-grown or Japanese cars as the German brands were a tiny segment of sales until the last 20 years or so.
Now they stick their ever increasing sized badges on everything from entry level sh$tboxes, through to stupid looking SUVs that couldn't negotiate a gutter without blowing a sidewall on their ultra low profile tires and dumbass wheels. They've diluted their brands.

JBL's new L-100 is on my audition list as soon as I can hear a pair. I sincerely hope they are made in the USA however.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just too old-skool.

To me the LPads plate looks 'consumer' and less 'pro'. I liked the old ones, with the recessed slot adjustment and horizontally preferred 'nearfield look' silver foil sticker setup. I like the S/N stamped in the foil. Port looks ugly too and the bass driver looks a bit too 'refined'.

I like to see the tinsel wire/voice coil black and the smaller dustcap. Actually, I wish they had duplicated everything (even the white grille mount spigots) except used better drivers and tuned the cabinet to suit.

I want to see and hear them in the flesh however.

Maybe I'm just too old-skool.

To me the LPads plate looks 'consumer' and less 'pro'. I liked the old ones, with the recessed slot adjustment and horizontally preferred 'nearfield look' silver foil sticker setup. I like the S/N stamped in the foil. Port looks ugly too and the bass driver looks a bit too 'refined'.

I like to see the tinsel wire/voice coil black and the smaller dustcap. Actually, I wish they had duplicated everything (even the white grille mount spigots) except used better drivers and tuned the cabinet to suit.

I want to see and hear them in the flesh however.

Funny. I don't notice any of that with the grills on.

Regards
Mister Pig

I saw your pic on Sterophile...here's another. They look like a cheap, mass produced box to me. I think they're being made in China.

image_preview2

Well my $21K MSRP JBL 4365 were made in Mexico. They still sound damn fine. Of course they were never made for the American market, and were first sold in Japan and Europe. Only at the end of their product cycle were the 4365 available in the US through Synthesis dealers, and by then the price had come down to $15K a pair.

Personally I find nothing cheap looking about that speaker, although I am not fond of white cones. But my interest is in their sound quality. They look just fine if they can capture my heart with the music they reproduce.

Regards
Mister Pig

Last edited:
Oh dear. :( They don't look as good as the old ones with the grilles off.

View attachment 1087578

Yeah--I'm a little disappointed with that grill-off shot as well, but if they sound good, I'd still have them. Park them in the same room with my original L100s and leave the grills on and let people figure out which is which :)

BTW--I LOVE white woofers--probably one of the most "copied" JBL signature characteristics. I won't even buy a re-coned JBL woofer, since the later kits supplied had charcoal/black cones as replacements. I'll wait and pay more money for used white originals.

I still don't get the grousing over "what if they are just a re-make of the original L100 with all of its flaws?"--which clearly they are not, from the photos. "Modern" Klipsch Heritage series speakers are NOT light years ahead of the originals from the early 70's, but they are still in production and command serious $$$$. IME, the brand new Heresey III sounds just as awful as a 1974 Heresey--a big box with no bass and a "honky" midrange--with one more zero added to the price tag--go figure. :idea:

I'm not a violent person but I think the guy responsible for including "classic" on the foilcal deserves to be beaten with a large cast-frame driver:whip:

L100C would have been my choice.

Back
Top Bottom