ADS L2030 Restoration

Richard sent some photos of the completed mids today. He noted some corrosion on the magnets from moisture, but all is well now. He's starting on the woofers next.

This would be another good reason to have Richard rebuild the drivers. Hidden surprises that could prevent easy identification of a minor audio degradation. And the type of thing that might cause you to wonder at times if you heard something that was just a bit off, or was it just something subjective or a bias in your listening?? And with corrosion, it probably gradually gets worse unless you live in a desert environment. As GD70 states, I don't buy vintage audio gear expecting to make money 1, 2, 5 years down the road. I'm OK with putting some limited money into something and then moving it along knowing someone else may get more enjoyment out of it than I did. I also understand why others may not be able to take this approach due to budget constraints. Personal preference I guess. Keep us updated Matt. This thread has been fun to read and follow. I know the L-1230's I let go to another AK'er sounded very good. I'm happy another member gets to enjoy them more frequently than I did.

L1230's, L1530's, or L2030's would be epic to own. Any of the three. And I never realized how big they truly are, until I saw a picture of 1530's and AR90's side by side. The 90's were dwarfed! As such, I can't imagine 2030'!

Haha, I'm dying to hear what these things can do when back to factory spec (or better)! That said, I definitely do not want to cut corners. I'm going to pull the crossovers tonight or tomorrow and have a look. New caps at a minimum.
As far as pulling drivers, the pick is a great idea for them not requiring much force, as the gasket being foam. Some drivers, like as in Chapman, and others with flush mount (counter sunk) some may be stuck real good. I use a machine screw,(not a sheet metal screw though larger than needed may work) same size as the face or basket. force thread it in (if correct size it damages nothing) sometimes one on each opposite corner. This gives me something to grab the basket or face plate with. Pulled many ADS drivers this way.
Though i did have my mids on the 2030 done, as well as one woofer and xover, later in life when i had Richard do my 1590 i kept the domes and face plates and sent him only the magnet. The dome (functional) would have got thrown away. It cost me an extra 15.00 each for new plates. This way, i now have an extra set of domes/coils. I can later add the fluid myself if i have a blowout, but actually have never blown a mid yet. My amp blew a set of tweeters though, so i run less than the recommended 1.25 . Not sure it would have helped though given the speed of which those freq travel when she blew. Or so I am told anyway.
At any rate, this is what I do, not saying anyone else needs to.

L1230's, L1530's, or L2030's would be epic to own. Any of the three. And I never realized how big they truly are, until I saw a picture of 1530's and AR90's side by side. The 90's were dwarfed! As such, I can't imagine 2030'!

The L810's are baby sisters to the L1230's. They use the exact same drivers in a smaller footprint.

The L810's are baby sisters to the L1230's. They use the exact same drivers in a smaller footprint.

But, for whatever reason, I love the look of the L..30 Series of ADS speakers. Just beautiful industrial design. :)

adsl1230.jpg

(Thanks Soundmotor) :biggrin:

But, for whatever reason, I love the look of the L..30 Series of ADS speakers. Just beautiful industrial design. :)

adsl1230.jpg

(Thanks Soundmotor) :biggrin:

Oh absolutely!! ... As much as I love my L1230's, they continue to drive me to look daily for some L1530's or L2030's. I've made it quite clear that if I ever find a pair, that decor be damned, I WILL have a place for them.

Oh absolutely!! ... As much as I love my L1230's, they continue to drive me to look daily for some L1530's or L2030's. I've made it quite clear that if I ever find a pair, that decor be damned, I WILL have a place for them.
Exactly! I showed these 2030's to my wife, told her these were the holy grail, and one of my few bucket list speakers, and that if I was ever able to find and afford a pair, I'd be done!

Exactly! I showed these 2030's to my wife, told her these were the holy grail, and one of my few bucket list speakers, and that if I was ever able to find and afford a pair, I'd be done!

And she believed that...??? :rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

I don't believe anyone here believes what Glenn wrote.

There are newer speakers all the time becoming old, cheap, vintage junk in someone's eyes that can be scooped up by a lucky AKer. Waiting on my pair of Magicos as I type. I probably have a long wait. Maybe something else will show up, though.

I wouldn't settle, but honestly, If I could get my hands on a pair of 910's my goal would be to tri-amp those and work towards that. Course, I say that @GD70 and I know full well, if some 1530's or 2030's showed up, I'd have to jump in head first.

Edited:
When I found the L1230's I watched them for over a month here in Dallas. The guy was firm on $550, and I couldn't talk him down. He and his partner were moving to California and he said if he couldn't sell them, he'd take them with him. When I got there his partner said he was glad to get them out of their closet .. hmmmm?? I didn't have an amp with me and seller claimed he packed up all his stuff so couldn't show them. Sounded and looked reasonable, as most of the house was pretty empty. Got them home to discover the tweeters were out. Sent in the tweeters/mids and crossovers to Richard, all toll .. was close to $750.00 Maybe? ... on the high end, but I've not regretted one penny spent.

Last edited:
I owned a couple pair of 1230's a few years ago along with 2 pair of 1530's so I was able to a lot of a-b comparisons. The 1230's were a step above the 810's I had at the time (deeper bass) and the 1530's were even a bigger step above the 1230's. It's tough to imagine how nice the 2030's must be. The 2 pairs that I had the hardest time choosing between were the 880's and the 810's. I finally settled on the 810's but only by the slimmest of margins. I think the entire ADS lineup were all great speakers right down to the 200's and 300's both of which I can't seem to part with either.

I owned a couple pair of 1230's a few years ago along with 2 pair of 1530's so I was able to a lot of a-b comparisons. The 1230's were a step above the 810's I had at the time (deeper bass) and the 1530's were even a bigger step above the 1230's. It's tough to imagine how nice the 2030's must be. The 2 pairs that I had the hardest time choosing between were the 880's and the 810's. I finally settled on the 810's but only by the slimmest of margins. I think the entire ADS lineup were all great speakers right down to the 200's and 300's both of which I can't seem to part with either.

Without ever having heard comparsons I just sort of assumed you are correct in opinions. So thanks for sharing that. Was nice to know about the 880/810 difference. That said, I have a pair if 200's I really like, and didn' understand why they were not as loved back in the day they were introduced. (Maybe price per performance?) I think if one picked up a set for around a $100 bedrock bucks one would be hard pressed to find any other speaker new or old at that price that could out perform them. Again, at that price.

Nice restoration thread Matt!

I'm going to rebuild my 1230 bases, but am planning to enclose the bottom and fill with lead shot to add ballast since they are top heavy by design. I'll post pics up once I get around to taking this task on.

They would make great rear channel.
7 channel amp,
4 channels for the 1230 in biamp mode.
2 for the 810 in the rear
1 for the center.
Did this configuration with my 2030's. In 2 channel mode even, it was killer.

This damn thread is killing me Matt. I need another set of speakers like a whole in my head. But having heard your 1530s, watching your progress here with the 2030s, and seeing the ADS speakers pop up around here is tempting my resolve. I had a chance at a set of 1230s a couple years ago for a very good price, and have regrets over letting them slip away!
Anyway, great thread on the restoration process.

Back
Top Bottom