Dystopian Film List

I'm a big Mad Max fan (mainly the original), I've always wanted to explore the genre more so I'm going to have to check these suggestions out. Has anyone see the move adaption of "The Road"? The books seemed pretty cool, wonder how they film came out.

The Road is post-apocalyptic not dystopian as there is no society except in the micro. That said, it is the bleakest film I've ever watched and that's saying something.

Would be a lot of my collection, lol. The Zero Theorem, 12 Monkeys, City of Ember, Logans Run, Oblivion, Minority Report, Dark City, Waterworld, Silent Running, A.I., Snowpiercer, Equilibrium........Priest...

My daughter is a big fan of dystopian fiction, books and movies. I keep trying to get her to read or watch Watership Down, describing it as "dystopian fiction with bunnies" be she hasn't bought it yet.

I'm a big Mad Max fan (mainly the original), I've always wanted to explore the genre more so I'm going to have to check these suggestions out. Has anyone see the move adaption of "The Road"? The books seemed pretty cool, wonder how they film came out.
THE Road was very dark but I enjoyed it. The one scene that sticks in my mind to this day is where they are going through a city and go by a jewelry store where the windows are broken out,jewels,pearls still on display,some strewn on the sidewalk just left there. They had no value in in the new world,nor did currency.

THE Road was very dark but I enjoyed it. The one scene that sticks in my mind to this day is where they are going through a city and go by a jewelry store where the windows are broken out,jewels,pearls still on display,some strewn on the sidewalk just left there. They had no value in in the new world,nor did currency.

Orwell wrote the dystopian rule book and Maslow wrote the post-apocalyptic ones.

maslow-hierarchy-of-needs-diagram-1024x1024.jpg

/more orwell in this thread would be nice.....

I'm a fan of Chuck Heston's jaw-grinding as acting but, yeah, he's a bit stiff. Worked great in Planet of the Apes. Not so good in Omega Man. But those are both post-apocalyptic trips. The book, The Road, really bummed me out.

I love Richard Linklater's 2006 adaptation of the Phillip K. Dick book, A Scanner Darkly. Deeply paranoid and entertaining.

a_scanner_darkly_wallpaper_by_captain_s.jpg

My main reason for a thread on dystopias is that I like seeing different takes on human community even if bad. 1984 is a great example, Blade Runner another but they don't always need to be within the tech realm. The Village is rural, a closed community kept in check by fear of monsters residing in the woods. Over the years I've begun to appreciate it a bit (tiny bit). Just looking for other ones I've missed.

the-village-ivy.jpg

I'm a fan of Chuck Heston's jaw-grinding as acting but, yeah, he's a bit stiff. Worked great in Planet of the Apes. Not so good in Omega Man. But those are both post-apocalyptic trips. The book, The Road, really bummed me out.

I enjoyed him in Apes and Soylent Green too. I like Omega Man but he borders on phoning it in. It's still better than the Will Smith version by a long ways though.

I enjoyed him in Apes and Soylent Green too. I like Omega Man but he borders on phoning it in. It's still better than the Will Smith version by a long ways though.
I thought his bit part in Frankenstein an epiphany since I did not know it was him as the blind villager who befriended The Monster and fed him until 40 years later.

I haven't watched Zardoz for a while but it was seriously weird.

+1 for Dark City

Gattaca was quite good.

This one was cool. Cosmopolis

William Gibsons novels weave their way through dystopia.
None to film yet.
View attachment 1088022

I'm on Zero History right now, book 3 of the Blue Ant trilogy. My faves though are the ones below, the Bridge trilogy. I've been through those several times.

Would love to see Gibson done right on film and Blue Ant are probably the ones someone could do justice to.

I'm on Zero History right now, book 3 of the Blue Ant trilogy. My faves though are the ones below, the Bridge trilogy. I've been through those several times.

Would love to see Gibson done right on film and Blue Ant are probably the ones someone could do justice to.
I haven't read it yet but this one by Haruki Murakami is supposed to be a must read.
t0521ruey-murakami_feat9_1.jpg

This was soo creepy, but , who knows,maybe that'll be what it's like. No one to help, no one to turn to. You're on your own ,literally.:yikes:

Until the End of the World. 2.5 hours of unbridled hilarity. Not.
(Director's cut is 4.5 hours...)
Interesting user interfaces sprinkled throughout film. Good soundtrack, too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom