Longer Speaker Wire or RCA's

theoman

Confused Member
Subscriber
I plan on moving my speakers away from my rig and I don't know if I should leave my Amp with the speakers. Should I then just run longer RCA's or leave the Amp with the rig and run longer speaker wire's?

whats better or is there a difference?

WOW we are split right off the bat. I don't want to open a can of worms on the speaker debate. Should this one be straight forward?

My view that long ICs more susceptible to RFI and capacitance issues likely to affect SQ than relatively heavy cables used to power loudspeakers.

Other issue is hum if the amplifiers are plugged into outlets on separate ground than the other electronics. For this reason, XLR cables more preferable for long IC runs.

Last edited:
Depends. What lengths are we talking here?

I found sonic improvement by minimizing the “stuff” in between the speakers. Only my power amp is there now and I have very high quality cable from it to the speakers. I have 25 feet of Blue Jeans LC1 cable connecting the power amp to preamp. This cable is very low capacitance, very well shielded, and cost effective. Some people will use balanced inputs/ outputs and if my equipment supported it I would use them too.

My preamp and all sources are on the side of the room. I think this arrangement is best for my situation.

Knowing the distances you are looking at is important to getting you a solution.

The best speaker wire is none with audible effects increasing as speaker wire length increases.
This is one of the advantages of powered speakers and has been known for many decades.

Connecting your amp with RCA cables is usually fine, but DIN might be better if you run into a problem.

I want to move my rig to the left, so the cables would be 12 and speaker wire 18'
IMG_8486.JPG

I've been using 20' RCA cables from my preamp to crossover/power amps for 20+ years. This allows for 3' speaker cables. My gear is on a dual flexy rack to my right. My power amps are on low stands behind my panels. IMO/E moving a rack(s) of gear from between speakers results in a better soundstage.

As Blue Shadow said, this issue has been discussed more than once. Some prefer long speaker cables others prefer long IC's. If you have an RFI/noise problem (most people don't) you may achieve better results with long speaker cables. Otherwise I'd go with long IC's.

XLR's are not susceptible to most interference. Studios routinely use XLR cables with lengths of 50' or more.

When I ran tube monoblocks, with my turntable in a separate room, my cabling was:

phono preamp -> magnetic passive preamp - 6 meter RCA
passive preamp -> power amps - 3 meter RCA
power amps -> speakers - 1 meter Goertz MI1

Most people who run monoblocks place their amps right next to their speakers to keep the speaker cable as short as possible. FWIW.

I don't see much advantage of keeping speaker wire lengths particularly short provided the proper gauge is used.

If I did it would be separate from my main music system.:D

Even then I'd have multiple power/integrated amps throughout my house. I'd use Wi-Fi/Ethernet and an NAS or two. Maybe I'd add a Chromecast or two. That would allow for easy individual selection of source material.

That doesn't change how I'd do things. Actually, with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Chromecast's, streaming and NAS's there's no need to run any long cables/wires of any type for whole house installs.

Back
Top Bottom