Looking for a compact tuner/MP3 player

Rich K.

I have very limited space for a stereo system right now - basically, what will fit on top of my bedroom dresser. I have an old Kenwood CD changer that takes the JVC XC-M70 6-CD holders. On top of that, I have my record changer (currently a 4-speed GE, but soon to be replaced with a Garrard AT6 Mk. II), and my speakers are small, no-name "shelf" speakers hanging on my wall (and which sound surprisingly good!). My amp is an RCA/Radio Shack SA-155 mini-amp.

I would really like to find a compact tuner unit that will also allow me to play MP3 files via a thumb drive or SD/micro SD card, and connect through the "tuner" input on the mini amp. I tried one of the cheap Chinese NDVA-1000 units, and it was horrible. Oh, it played the mp3 files okay, but the FM tuner would not pick up one single FM station, and I do like to listen to the radio as much as anything else. Seller is sending me a return label for that piece of garbage...

So, is there any such thing as what I am looking for? I'd rather not have to buy an IPod or something similar, the NDVA-1000 has the right idea, as far as what I am looking for, but as I said, the so-called "tuner" feature is non functional.

You're probably not going to find much of anything worth owning all in one unit. For a tuner, they actually made one to match your little SA-155 amp. It is a Radio Shack/RCA/Optimus/Realistic TM-155. You can probably pick up one for cheap on ebay. A good antenna will obviously go a long way whatever you choose.
s-l1600.jpg

As for playing MP3s from a thumb drive, you can always pick up a DVD player with a USB port and use that. I picked up a Pioneer from Goodwill for less than $10. Walmart has an LG DVD player with USB port that is nearly the same width as the SA-155 for less than $30. The only downside would be navigating a bunch of folders unless it is hooked to a TV or some sort of monitor.

I even picked up a Sony CD changer at Goodwill that has a USB port and plays MP3s, for less than $10. I haven't tried it yet, but you should be able to navigate through folders and files on the built-in display.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warning! Guess I will just have to keep my eyes open for the RCA/Optimus/Realistic tuner...

Wow, I just looked up that Pyle of crap on Amazon, and the 3000 watts claim:bs::crazy::rolleyes: and the not-so-hot reviews say it all.

Kind of bums me out that nobody makes a decent compact tuner combined with a thumb drive/SD card MP3 player. The Chinese have the right IDEA, but their quality control leaves a LOT to be desired. Meanwhile, I have a TM-155 on the way, so at least I will have a compact tuner...

I'd like to have a decent boombox with USB/MP3 playback. Same deal. Almost all of the ones available are no name Chinese junk that isn't worth owning. I've only seen one or two Sony models that look like they'd be decent. You would think there would be more available.:dunno:

Regarding using a CD player with a USB plug......almost all CD players currently sold ONLY have an HDMI output. The older version with composite video and stereo audio (red, black and yellow RCA jacks) are no longer made.

I just found a Pioneer XC-HM21V-K compact DVD/CD player with a USB input, FM tuner, and component output. Plus speaker output. Only thing I am wondering is, can I hook the speaker outputs to the tuner inputs of my Realistic mini-amp, or will I need some sort of switch box?

Last edited:
Regarding using a CD player with a USB plug......almost all CD players currently sold ONLY have an HDMI output. The older version with composite video and stereo audio (red, black and yellow RCA jacks) are no longer made.
If you are going to post information, at least post CORRECT information.:no:

Why would a CD player only have HDMI output?:idea: Why would they have VIDEO output at all?:rolleyes: Besides, we are talking USB INPUT for playing MP3 files, not output.

You most certainly CAN still get NEW DVD players with composite RCA outputs.

BLURAY players are HDMI output only, and have been since 2013 if the info I've read was correct. Some older ones had composite output. I know. I have one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom