Today's JAZZ playlist

Only time for one more before the little lady and I head out for breakfast and Vegas fun;

Bria Skonberg - (Introducing)

514EUf84-KL._SX425_.jpg

Yikes. That's a pretty Canadian Lady I'd like to see perform in person. ;)

So true, and spot on. "American Masters" did a "Bing" special on PBS that is a must watch. You realize how HUGE the man was. And he was an entrepreneur in every sense of the word. He pioneered recording on Tape simply because he didn't want to do "Kraft Music Hall" shows five days a week. He wanted to do all five shows in 1 day and take the rest of the week off. So he started Ampex (with partners I believe) and brought high fidelity reel to reel recording (From Germany) into the limelight worldwide. He saw opportunity with frozen concentrated juices and pioneered Frozen Concentrated Orange Juice (Minute Maid). No wonder why he did all those Minute Maid commercials. He owned the company.

At his height, they said that 50 million people a week were tuning in to his radio show. That was HUGE beyond compare in the 40s. And his work with friends like Louis Armstrong were amazing. Heck, Bing Pioneered Music Video. Here it is, from the 30's with the Rhythm Boys and Bing Crosby "So the Bluebirds and the Blackbirds got Together";

I can picture my grandmother listening to this on the radio.

Billy, You've hit on many of the high points covered in the BBC doc link that I posted. I missed the American Masters, but I'm familiar with his legacy. I've got a copy of Gary Giddins' bio on Bing I'll get around to one of these days, but his legacy while not entirely forgotten, is dimming. Let us not forget, he and Louis sang early and often and since he was in Whiteman's band with the above mentioned Rhythm Boys, he knew and hung around with Bix Biderbeck and Teagarden. The guy knew his stuff.

Last edited:
Aloha from Vegas, gents. Just after 7 AM here. Hit big on a 25 to 1 longshot to WIN yesterday in horse racing. Guy sitting next to me clued me in that even though the horse was a maiden (dark horse), his workouts had been incredible and he was a hidden favorite to win. And he did. Put some money on his nose and he won by 2 lengths. Easiest Vegas money I ever made.

So today, some celebratory music;

West Coast Jazz WINNER - Stan Gets

71O-LKwv3nL._SX425_.jpg

That's amazing! Have a great vacation!!

IMG_4799.JPG IMG_4797.JPG
So, I've only heard this on CD, never on vinyl. At my record store today the store owner recommended this "Complete Masters" from Impulse (Verve). Funny, this was an "impulse" buy. Most everyone knows more about Jazz than me but I'm learning. There are definitely mixed reviews over this release. Listening to it now and it sounds pretty darn nice. Others talked about noise in the quiet parts. To side 1 I am hearing a faint, tick, tick, tick during the quiet bass line but I see a mark so I'm gonna clean it and try again. The joys of buying new records.

S.J.

Art Blakey A Night in Tunisia.JPG
The Title Says ALL:
I splurged on this 180gr French printing of this LP and it is paying off. I suppose I could've hunted around and bought a "pre-owned" copy, but frankly, this is crisp, new and I'm not ashamed....not one bit. I've read some reissues are crap, that they may very well be, but it figures the Europeans, (who like Jazz-A LOT), release great quality LPs. Plus, the local vinyl on Art Blakey is scarce and at unreasonable $$. Then again, it could be argued that this was high priced, but for me it was a Xmas present.

I have this Coleman Hawkins record, a double LP, called "The Real Thing". It's a great record. The second disc is the complete recording session of "At Ease With Coleman Hawkins". But the first disc only has 3 of the 5 songs of the session he did with the Red Garland Trio, and 4 of the 7 he did with Ray Bryant and Kenny Burrell on the album called "Soul". So I'm listening to the cuts right now that aren't on the "Real Thing" album, as well as some other things with Hawk along the way.

Back
Top Bottom