Dumb question on new dryer w/ clogged vent alarm

One other thought, FWIW...

Do you have a 'critter shield' (plastic or metal screening) on the outlet (outside) of the vent? We did, and that sucka clogged up nearly solid after the first few months of use.
We discovered it because the dryer -- wasn't drying.
We're lucky we didn't have a fire.

We removed the screen -- so far, no problems with clogging nor with critters (fortunately).

No, aluminum flapper door.

Just for the record (and FWIW): ours was flapper door with a screen (like hardware cloth) behind it -- which is why I didn't know it was clogged until almost too late :confused:

Need more powerful farts maybe. I got a recipe for 16 bean soup that should be able to blow out any pipes! <G>

PS - if it IS a malfunctioning vent outlet, I'm sold on these ...

T_WithoutZoom

Plugs up tight when not in use, lot less back pressure than the standard vents, and never had one back up on me.

Please tell us more about that.

Thanks.

Sort of. The "event" seems to center around one of our daughter's sweaters...we think. My wife picked this up and asked her not to wash it for a week. During that week, no alarm. When my daughter dried it again we got one but also didn't get one the next time she did. So it's an odd set of parameters and I am still not sure exactly what's up.

/fingers crossed

I dunno from grounding in dryers -- but based on what socks do in our dryer, I think one could use a dryer's basket (tub) for an electrostatic transducer :)
In fact, Mrs. H now puts socks and some other laundry on a drying rack instead of using the dryer because she got tired of fighting electrostatic interaction.
(I still usually use the dryer, but the danged wool socks sometimes become one with other laundry)

My hypothesis - which may or may not be testable - is that the static field effs up the sensor, resulting in false positives (sort of like Hawai'i ;) ) -- not that there is an actual inhibition of airflow.

My hypothesis - which may or may not be testable - is that the static field effs up the sensor, resulting in false positives (sort of like Hawai'i ;) ) -- not that there is an actual inhibition of airflow.

Interesting thought. That might actually get the attention of someone at Maytag.

Had a chat with my wife, static seems unlikely. It's a steam dryer so it has a water hookup and also has an anti-static feature that mists as it dries.

In hindsight I've not noticed any static whereas other machines we had zapped me as I unloaded clothes.

/back to square one...

:confused:

The next time it stops, pull out the lint screen, re-start it, and see if it makes a difference. I know it's new, but stranger things have happened.

The next time it stops, pull out the lint screen, re-start it, and see if it makes a difference. I know it's new, but stranger things have happened.

It doesn't shut off, it keeps going when the light comes on. If you pull the screen mid-cycle the warning stays on even if you restart but resets when the next load is started.

I think... I've yet to have it happen to me but I will ask my wife about it too.

Back
Top Bottom