• Roger Waters

Votes: 49 12.8%
  • I don't like Pink Floyd!

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Who's Pink Floyd?

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Undecided, I like both Equally

Votes: 75 19.5%
  • What's Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett?

Votes: 30 7.8%

• Total voters
It's a shame Syd couldn't keep it together long enough to write and perform with the rest of the group.My vote was for Gilmour. Waters was a jerk,great lyrics though.

I personally feel that everything that happened with Floyd was perfect. Piper was great, but had Waters not taken control and edged Syd out, then we would not have had Atom Heart Mother, Obscured by Clouds and then DSOTM WYWH Animals etc.Notto mention More and Umma Gumma which I personally dig, both of them. I liked the Wall ok but not my fav, I do however like Final Cut, I think it is pretty deep and musical, IMO. But at that point it was time for RW to leave. Could you imagine Pros and Cons as a Floyd album? I like post Waters Floyd and Waters solo stuff just fine, but they could not stay together, and what took place was exactly as it was supposed to be. So it's not a "who is right" in my opinion it is how it is and it ended up perfect. Glad that RW was a controlling bastard, made my favorite lp of all time Animals with the rest of the band disgruntled but in line.
I am glad Syd made Piper, one of my favorite albums as well, but glad he ate too much LSD and let Gilmour come in and make the sweet atmospheric sounds of WYWH just for a start. My favorite guitarist of all time.

But with that being said I am going to unfollow this thread because this has been beaten out so many times in so many ways, nothing new to report on this.

Saw the Floyd twice in Pheonix without Waters. Seen Waters also in Pheonix. Both put on Great shows. Of course as a musician Gilmore is one of my favorite guitarist but Waters is a superior song writer.

I like the Pink Floyd with Walters but like Gilmore’s solo stuff 100x more than Walters

Edit: Meddle - The Wall to be precise

Last edited:
Water's has and will always be the leader of Pink Floyd.Imo.
This last tour was a visual fest for the eye's
I love Dave .And his tone. And it's as legendary as EVH's brown sound .
But Waters = Pink Floyd
Jagger = Stones
Tyler = Aerosmith..And those two bands have founding lead guitar player's.

Waters ... Final Cut was my favorite PF album of all time.

R-1206134-1318090776.jpeg.jpg

Water's has and will always be the leader of Pink Floyd.Imo.
This last tour was a visual fest for the eye's
I love Dave .And his tone. And it's as legendary as EVH's brown sound .
But Waters = Pink Floyd
Jagger = Stones
Tyler = Aerosmith..And those two bands have founding lead guitar player's.

I strongly disagree sir. Not the same thing at all. Richards and Perry RARELY sing. They are strictly guitarists. Jagger and Tyler are frontmen.
Gilmour and Waters split singing duties. Waters wrote GREAT lyrics and music, but Gilmour wrote GREAT music and some lyrics.
Waters was NOT the frontman Jagger was. See, Jagger was the face of The Rolling Stones. Pink Floyd didn't have or need a face.
After Waters left, Gilmour sang it all and the audience kept coming.

Please consider this:
If Joe Perry tried to sing for Aerosmith in Tyler's absence they would be lucky to draw 20% of what they normally draw in ticket sales.

Pink Floyd didn't skip a beat without Waters when it came to ticket sales. Didn't skip a beat!
The sold out show after show while Waters was reduced to playing tiny little clubs in the 80's.

Sorry if I sound harsh there, but Gilmour was NOT a side man, he was EVERY bit as important to Pink Floyd as Roger Waters, every bit.
He sang some of their BEST songs too. Wish You Were Here, Dogs, Money and most of DSOTM), Young Lust, Goodbye Blue Sky, and
co sang Comfortably Numb and Mother.

You need them both to be the Pink Floyd most people know and love. I like them both equally. Though they no longer get along, they seem to need each other. I also believe neither of them can stand on their own. Their solo albums (with the exception of "About Face") are very hard to listen to.

Back
Top Bottom