Shotgun

spinroch

Unspecified Life Form
I know I'm pretty new here, but I really cringe when reading the posts about changing parts haphazardly and hoping it works. Not a purist: Some rational thought when troubleshooting would go a long way..
When you think it out, and actually troubleshoot the problem, it adds to the satisfaction of a job well done.
Visual inspection
Check voltages
Observe waveforms
Research

... Just sayin'
Let the flames begin :rolleyes::D

Okay, I just have to say this...

Sometimes after a shotgun repair, flames happen in the device repaired...:eek::D

This is why I recommend one step at a time, checking your work as you go, although I understand that many shotgun repairs turn out okay.

There are a number of variable involved including the knowledge level of the person performing the repair and the available test equipment.

I did shotgun one integrated I bought. It came halfway disassembled and I found enough bad transistors I got tired of testing them only to find they were bad. So out came the shotgun! Then a parts order and all went well from there. :thumbsup:

Even if I plan on a ''full'' restoration,when a piece of gear I am working on is defective it gets repaired before anything else is done.

And while I don't subscribe to the shotgun method of repair,not everybody has the same trobleshooting skills.Still,considering how much literature is available concerning diagnosis,there's really not much excuse for this practice,is there?

No argument here. Although to be fair, if you don't have a friend who's a tech and you lack the knowledge yourself it can be a cost effective way to get something working. It can also turn a valued piece of gear into a doorstop.

It seems common for folks to just recap something that doesn't work, thinking that will fix it. Then it starts exhibiting new symptoms/malfunctions. Fix first, recap later!

Even if I plan on a ''full'' restoration,when a piece of gear I am working on is defective it gets repaired before anything else is done.

And while I don't subscribe to the shotgun method of repair,not everybody has the same trobleshooting skills.Still,considering how much literature is available concerning diagnosis,there's really not much excuse for this practice,is there?
Ah great minds think alike... you posted this while I was typing!

What....you mean we don't replace caps just because the plastic caps on top look weird, or because or mistaking the adhesive used to hold them in place for wave soldering for electrolyte, is a bad thing?

I thought all a real tech had to do was watch a couple youtube videos...........

I personally like the term easter egging.

While I agree shot-gunning for the sake of it is not preferred, I will say that I had to do it on an amp module because I could not find the culprit causing the speaker relay to trip.
Thermal issue with component that tested good on DMM. Since that's the only test equipment I have, could not identify specific part so they were all replaced with a successful result.

No disagreement here as far as working on your own stuff on your own time. It's a bit different, say working on a mini computer in the 70s with people breathing down your neck. If I had a full set of cards, you bet I'd shotgun that puppy.

I know I'm pretty new here, but I really cringe when reading the posts about changing parts haphazardly and hoping it works. Not a purist: Some rational thought when troubleshooting would go a long way..
When you think it out, and actually troubleshoot the problem, it adds to the satisfaction of a job well done.
Visual inspection
Check voltages
Observe waveforms
Research

... Just sayin'
Let the flames begin :rolleyes::D

...What ! How dare you suggest something that resembles the Scientific Method ... no sir ! You keep your reason and logic to yourself !!!!!!!!

How about a different take from a novice like myself... maybe it'll get the attitudes fired up :)

I had an intermittent issue in what I narrowed down to the preamp section of the right channel of a Marantz 2270 ( it was my Father in laws receiver) I couldn't pinpoint it due to its intermittent actions, and due to my lack of talent and equipment. I just ordered up some transistors, some caps and a few resistors (correct values for all) and replaced almost everything in BOTH channels ... cause I felt if I did it to one, might as well do it to the other... It fixed the issue.

Is this Shotgun?

...What ! How dare you suggest something that resembles the Scientific Method ... no sir ! You keep your reason and logic to yourself !!!!!!!!

Biscuithead's jest is unfortunately becoming a common position amongst many of those lacking the skill,training and education necessary in the electronics realm.

In some instances,I have come to believe that certain individuals are just being deliberately negligent and are hoping see you ''go up in smoke''. We have a wonderful word in German for this,schadenfreude.

Biscuithead's jest is unfortunately becoming a common position amongst many of those lacking the skill,training and education necessary in the electronics realm.

In some instances,I have come to believe that certain individuals are just being deliberately negligent and are hoping see you ''go up in smoke''. We have a wonderful word in German for this,schadenfreude.

I had to look it up ... "damage-joy" ... eek

Are you saying you know of instances where a tech will purposely plan a failure? For return business, or for maliciousness? Neither is acceptable, but I just assumed we were just talking about people who didn't really know what they were doing...

If you actually know a person or people doing this, then they really deserve the stocks:
upload_2018-1-14_8-49-26.png

Nobody mentioned the hole which remains, after shotgunning all the parts.

309-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom