AXPONA 2018

Wildcat

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Admin
Subscriber
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/2018-axpona-april-13-15-schaumburg-il.798843/

I'm most likely going. I'm trying to decide which hotel to stay at, since the Renaissance is way too pricey for something I'll spend only eight hours in, even at their "special show rate." There are a few hotels in the area, so hopefully I get something within walking distance. The SpringHill Suites (Marriott) is just across the freeway, and about half a mile walking distance, among many restaurants.

Any else here thinking of going? Anyone booked a room somewhere yet?

I had thought of doing RMAF this year instead (probably not both), so still TBD as of yet.

So you can put me down as a definite maybe. :D

@botrytis Which hotel did you book? I would be arriving Thursday around lunchtime, so I may hit a few wrecka stows if I'm up for it.

@DC It'd be great to hang out again!

I grabbed a room at the SpringHill Suites across the freeway for $99/night (AAA discount). Beats the "special" show rate of $164. For three nights, that's $200 more in my pocket. ;)

upload_2017-12-12_9-18-8.png

Our rate was cheaper than that... hmm
Cheapest "special" show rate at the Renaissance is currently $164, and I checked regularly since June (since I was booking rooms for two trips out west at the same time) with the rooms never being available.

Sure you're not booked at a Knight's Inn in Iowa? :D

Hi gents, I booked tonight (well, this morning) too - flights, ticket (3-day pass), and hotel. It seems the convention hotel is booked up, so I defaulted to the SpringHill across the street and will either walk or hitch a ride with somebody. (Ahem...)

I usually spend Friday with my buddy who lives in the area, as he and two of his co-workers always attend for the full day, then we head out for dinner after. Also, one of his former co-workers is married to a woodworker who exhibited in the Marketplace last year, so we usually pay them a visit or two while we're there. (The credenza they made for him is featured here. Beautiful work!)

Hi gents, I booked tonight (well, this morning) too - flights, ticket (3-day pass), and hotel. It seems the convention hotel is booked up, so I defaulted to the SpringHill across the street and will either walk or hitch a ride with somebody. (Ahem...)
Well, if you know of anyone who's at that hotel, maaaybe it can be arranged... :D I considered walking one or two of the days, although if I do some damage in the Marketplace, I prefer having the wheels nearby so I can stash the purchases in the car and not have to tote them around all day. (Especially later on Sunday, when the vendors are packing up and want to carry less than what they arrived with.) I can seat four in the Wildcatmobile, five if someone wants dibs on being wedged under the cargo net in the rear. (I promise I'll turn the subwoofer most of the way down.) @DC I still have your number, so no problem coordinating!

I would probably enjoy AXPONA more if there weren't so many people there.
It thins out around mid-afternoon. Yet I'm not a crowd-loving person either and I've only had to pass by a few rooms during the peak because they were too crowded. Nowhere near as bad as the last Detroit Auto Show I went to nearly a decade ago, where you literally had to push and elbow your way in front of others just to sit in some of the cars. Friday I found is less crowded as the locals seem to turn out mostly on weekends.

I also know it's tempting not to go just due to the price of everything, but I figure it's a rare weekend to spend seeing what's new, getting ideas for my own system, enjoying a few things I can't afford, and seeing friends and acquaintances. Well worth it to me, even if exhibits get a little tight for a few hours! I might try starting at the top and working my way down this time.

Well, if you know of anyone who's at that hotel, maaaybe it can be arranged... :D I considered walking one or two of the days, although if I do some damage in the Marketplace, I prefer having the wheels nearby so I can stash the purchases in the car and not have to tote them around all day. (Especially later on Sunday, when the vendors are packing up and want to carry less than what they arrived with.) I can seat four in the Wildcatmobile, five if someone wants dibs on being wedged under the cargo net in the rear. (I promise I'll turn the subwoofer most of the way down.) @DC I still have your number, so no problem coordinating!

It looks like there is a shuttle from SpringHill to the Renaissance, too, so no worries! (And if the weather is nice, I am sure a walk would do me some good...)

We also get:

SpringHill Suites Dining Room
NEW BREAKFAST! Our hotel in Schaumburg serves a free hot breakfast buffet each morning complete with hot coffee, scrambled eggs, assorted pastries, Dannon® yogurts, assorted cereals & much more!​

I'm not normally a breakfast person, but I usually won't turn away free food either. :D

Back
Top Bottom