Welcome to the world of James B. Lansing

One more thing. There is encyclopedic knowledge on LHF that few of us could begin to fathom. Some of the former JBL people are on there. That said, many are over the whole forum thing as witnessed by the dearth of posts there.

Over 1,200 views on a new thread over there in the past four-days does not sound like a "dearth" to me. I actually kind of enjoy the substance of the Lansing Heritage site where people will often give a second thought prior to posting "me, too" and decade-old threads continue to have vitality and gain current contributions that add to the reference data and utility of a subject.

I also enjoy the fact that few "over there" ever provide opinions on a JBL they've never heard prefaced by the "west-coast-sound" misnomer. I have to come to AK for those "alternative facts" and Kellyanne moments . . . and to have people tell me I'm not a true JBL enthusiast because my 4345 clones have a black-ash baffle!
banghead.gif

Over 1,200 views on a new thread over there in the past four-days does not sound like a "dearth" to me. I actually kind of enjoy the substance of the Lansing Heritage site where people will often give a second thought prior to posting "me, too" and decade-old threads continue to have vitality and gain current contributions that add to the reference data and utility of a subject.

I also enjoy the fact that few "over there" ever provide opinions on a JBL they've never heard prefaced by the "west-coast-sound" misnomer. I have to come to AK for those "alternative facts" and Kellyanne moments . . . and to have people tell me I'm not a true JBL enthusiast because my 4345 clones have a black-ash baffle!
banghead.gif

You are not one bit wrong about that and I have no complaints. The expertise there is stratospheric - and this pace is no slouch either. I was hoping top get more of that here without some of the wank you mentioned.

All was well-intended, so I'll stop now because translation of written internet words sometimes gets one in trouble when he wasn't going there.

Does anyone have pictures of the new L100 without grills?

If I may add...even in the world of BT, this brand kicks a## for the price paid for a portable unit that holds its own against a lot of higher priced ones out there.

Picked up the "Charge 3" and was amazed at how it sounded! For its size, which you can still pack without much problem, it handles the job really well. You can, I think do a firmware mod, and may even without, enhance the bass response further...but the upper ends get clipped. Personally, I prefer the factory setting as the mid/upper are my preferences anyway.

This brand is really great for the pool party (waterproof and built like a truck)or even more critical listening if hooked analogue directly into this little device.

So, just sharing support for another of JBL product line.

Note: No way affiliated with JBL...just enjoy their performance/build/pricing.

Q

Last edited:
Cool!, still trying to learn more about Ampex's involvement with JBL
My small knowledge is that the Ampex "suitcase" portable amplifiers had 8" full range JBL speakers, possibly modified LE-8T's. In he four I had the speakers were painted in wrinkle gold.

Perhaps research on the various suitcase amps might unearth some information.

Regards, -DAAB-

I just picked up a pair of L 100's in a local Goodwill store for $5.50 for the pair. Although the original blue grills were deteriorated and gone. The cabinets and speakers are in original and, great condition. I consider these a great find and an excellent addition to my collection of gear. I do plan on replacing the grills with reproduction foam grills.

Yay!!!!

Discovered the wonderful world of JBL when I rebuilt and refinished a pair of L36 Decades about 21 months ago:

JBL_L36_Decade_After_4.jpg

JBL_L36_Decade_After_2.jpg

My second set, a pair of 4301B Control Monitors is functionally restored, but still needs some cosmetic work:

Transatlanticism_4301_B.jpg

Now working on my 3rd pair, the 4301B's fraternal cousins, a pair of L19As.

You could say I'm hooked.

I suggested a JBL forum a while ago and my idea was tossed.

Glad to see it is here now!
I can't say it was necessary but I'm happy to follow it and contribute to it.
Not that I need more consensual validation of my hi-fi choices! :bigok:

OK, I'll bite..., why? Seems like this is all covered on the Lansing Heritage site. Maybe encouragement for those who have never had???

OK, I'll bite..., why? Seems like this is all covered on the Lansing Heritage site. Maybe encouragement for those who have never had???
Depends what you mean by "this is all covered.....".

What is "this"?

The lansing site is slow, slow, slow. The crickets chirp big time over there.

There is much more traffic here, quick replies. I am glad to see this. It is also a different crowd.

Thanks to all that made it happen!

My system was displaced for the holidays, but fired it up to celebrate the occasion.

Attachments

• IMG_20180116_003940872[1].jpg
    IMG_20180116_003940872[1].jpg
    42 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom