Channel Master Stream +

I pulled the trigger today on the Stream+.

Cut the cable several years ago and haven't looked back. Best decision in years! I'm using a boom antenna in my attic and the picture is superior to anything I ever had from TW and Directv. The Stream+ will replace a $35 DVR/tuner from IVIEW which delivers a great picture but it's slow to respond, voices often out of sync, recording is not intuitive and the remote is a bit dodgy. Channel Master is putting all their eggs in the Stream+ basket having dropped all their more expensive over-the-air DVR/Tuners. The Stream+ is designed to compete head to head with Tivo but it's cheaper, more versatile and the program guide is free with no monthly fee. I'm hoping mine will ship later this month.

04-channel-master-stream.jpg

Damn, and I just got the TiVo Roamio 6 months ago!! Still have to check it out I guess. :)

Thanks for sharing this.

Is the the differentiating feature of this gizmo its ability to record ? I have an antenna for my TV, and Chromecast for streaming. What sets this gizmo apart?

Will ATSC 3.0 be an issue?

No issue.

This is the only streaming/recording device I've seen with two over-the-air tuners. Record one show while watching another or record two different shows. You can add apps and the ones now loaded are extensive. I expect Netflix and others to be added. I'm looking forward to the 2 week program guide which is a big part of Tivo but here it requires no subscription. Channel Master made several well regarded DVR/tuners costing hundreds and now they've all been discontinued in favor of this $99 swiss army knife.

Last edited:
I have the old ChannelMaster DVR+ and love it ... it's always worked like a charm and built like a tank. I picked up a nice Monoprice roof antenna and I get something like 40 channels. Been living happily without Dish, Direct TV or Cable for 3 years. $99 is a bargain ....might have to pick one up just to play with. Netflix is built into my LG TV and I dont use any other video streaming services but with two tuners - it might be too cool to pass up.

Netflix is no issue for me as I'm also using a Roku. Have a 3 and an early 4 model but the 4 often gives me a snowy screen requiring frequent re-boots. Should have returned it.

I have the old ChannelMaster DVR+ and love it ... it's always worked like a charm and built like a tank. I picked up a nice Monoprice roof antenna and I get something like 40 channels. Been living happily without Dish, Direct TV or Cable for 3 years. $99 is a bargain ....might have to pick one up just to play with. Netflix is built into my LG TV and I dont use any other video streaming services but with two tuners - it might be too cool to pass up.

I was looking for a Channel Master like yours when I discovered they had been discontinued and replaced by the Stream+.

Neat device, the Stream+! Cool that it uses Android TV and will have Chromecast built in. :thumbsup: With the Nexus Player being discontinued, it's good to see someone step up with a solid device. Hopefully some good apps can be sideloaded on it. (I like using VLC Media Player to play the MKV files of video I have ripped and stored on my NAS.)

I'm going in a different direction--I just picked up a HDHomeRun Duo, which is an OTA two-tuner device that lives on the home network via Ethernet. I can use their own apps, but it also works with Plex, so I am getting the server set up to use for a DVR, and it can play on any device on the network, including TVs, network streamers, phones and tablets. They also make a Quatro version with four OTA tuners, and a 3-tuner device for cable TV (with which you have to use cable cards to activate).

In this case, the TV tuners are just a program source on the network, and they'll feed the entire house, vs. needing one at each TV. A bit different from the Stream+, although I really like the idea behind that as well! It's like trying to decide between apples and oranges when you like both. ;)

Back
Top Bottom