Lets talk about Grado RS1

msh1999

Just got myself some RS1 (button edition) and im well aware there is 1000 different mods for them..
and thats also the problem, i cant tell whenever mod is really worth it or not anymore, any suggestions for specific mod that makes a good change?

meanwhile i kicked those original cap pads for the flat ones, no idea how they dare sell those with the rs1... they sound like *** with those pads on.

I'm just now getting into Grado headphones after listening to all different makes over the last 46 years. The GH2 headphones were my first purchase and I love those. I have a pair of RS1e's on the way. Where can I read up on the different pads for them?

I'm just now getting into Grado headphones after listening to all different makes over the last 46 years. The GH2 headphones were my first purchase and I love those. I have a pair of RS1e's on the way. Where can I read up on the different pads for them?
basically search on google, way to many people say that so you will find info about those in no time, though some prefer the G CUSH, but mostly the flat.
i still didnt try the original flat pads and i hope i will have a chance later today.

okay okay okay
so i went to the store and paid over priced price for the original flat grado pads, sadly i couldn't try the G CUSH , though i managed to listen to the GS1000I side by side, the GS1000I were much more dynamic detailed, the thing they did wrong were rolled off highs and the sound was too big with no real soundstage feel, just big sound, which makes them somewhat hard to listen to, wrong amp? maybe, anyone else experienced that?

back to my house, to try the flat pads properly, now here is the funny part i thought thats gonna happen...
my "DIY" pads, which is made out of melamine acoustic sponge sounds better, though they still had some flaws, mainly unbalanced sound.

so i made about 6 different versions of pads melamine sponge, at the moment the best results are with a pads with a hole inside and about the same thickness as the flat grado pads.
the sound changes are dramatic, i think mainly because the melamine doesn't touch the bass and low mids frequency much as the original pad sponge, which results with deep punchy bass, very dynamic sound and better sound imaging (still grado though)

goal is making the RS1 with dynamic, detailed, warm and engaging sound (unlike the original and flat pads) with minimum sound balance problems.
wish me luck

The RS1e headphones that I ordered showed up. The only change that I made was put a pair of G crush pads on them. Great headphones. Couldn't be happier with them.

I agree with every post stating that the original pads on the RS1e suck. They just hurt, and detract from what should otherwise be a very nice experience.

I've had my RS1e for almost 4 years now, and replaced the pads with aftermarket G cushion pads a couple years ago. It made all the difference in listening enjoyment. Haven't made any other modifications to them besides that, and love how they sound (and feel now that the pads have been changed).
index.php

Not to direct you away from AK, but there's a grado mod thread over at head-fi that has all sorts of ideas.

Last edited:
I agree with every post stating that the original pads on the RS1e suck. They just hurt, and detract from what should otherwise be a very nice experience.

I've had my RS1e for almost 4 years now, and replaced the pads with aftermarket G cushion pads a couple years ago. It made all the difference in listening enjoyment. Haven't made any other modifications to them besides that, and love how they sound (and feel now that the pads have been changed).
index.php

Not to direct you away from AK, but there's a grado mod thread over at head-fi that has all sorts of ideas.
I'm with you on the G cushion pads on the RS1e. Love them.

Back
Top Bottom