What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

How to follow Missing Persons?
With something even better; A HOF debut album that even the Clash wanted.
A really really great album, musically and production. Sire Records. Now defunct and absorbed by the Borg
View attachment 1091223

Yes! One of my favorite late 70s LPs. This great album helped get me into new music around that time. It's their best album, in my opinion, and one of the greatest rock albums of all time.

Pickering carts are great, They are moving Iron design. Though able to run at the common MM 47k ohms, They are better with different loading. I use my XV-15/1200 at 200uf, It cuts some of the sharpness, Mellowed it out nicely. If your going to be cart rolling, I suggest a adjustable Phono pre-amp as a must have. Good luck, Enjoy!

Good stuff @NeedForSpeed... thanks!

I Just read your comments and thought it best to reach out with some "data" and thoughts. I was using the Realistic version of a Shure V type for a few years and loved the velvety neutrality but started hearing strident distortion on single notes of solo piano. I had a new Grado Prestiege Blue with about an hour on it , so I switched them out...The Grado was solid but no aspect of the frequency spectrum was remarkable. I even thought I had tracking angle problems because of the reedy
thin( to my ears) top end. I thought maybe the stylus wasn't seated fully in the groove.
Enter the Ortofon as a freebie yesterday. ( my source ordered his usual stock, one came through sans stylus, factory sent a replacement stylus, and a new cartridge as an apology?? So I got lucky as my friend at the shop hooked me up).
Instantly everything in the spectrum was cleaner, bigger and more dynamic, with really good bottom end slam and quick transients, with really pleasing bottom end bloom and a touch of compression that I love on drums.

I think a great deal of this is perfect symmetry between the The Red , the Dual 1229 Q's tonearm, the Marantz 2240's phono pre, and the Marantz 140 powering the large Advents.
It seems like everything is complimenting the next stop down the line..my point being the Grado may be great but not with this line up, especially the Dual tone arm and the Marantz pre. This rig with the Shure Cart and CD source is warm on the low end and smooth on the top. The thinness and lack of any midrange complexity was a red flag with the Grado on my rig but might it might be great on another pre amp, TT etc. I'm not dissing the Grado, it just did suit my signal chain.
Just some thoughts to help you sort your situation out. I'm really conservative with gear choices, that usually lean to vintage, but I don't know your rig so I have no idea what your are trying to enhance or fix. Hope some of this helps..

I agree with what you heard on the top end with the Grado. Seems to be lacking that extra bit I’m looking for. The low end is good, but again not as defined as I’d like. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a great cart and that’s why I wonder if moving up to the 8mz would gain me that little bit more definition I’m seeking. Also having the OM 10 gives me the idea of moving up that chain. I still think I’ll wait til I pick up the Technics SL-D3(hoping this weekend) and try what I have out and go from there. But you definitely sparked my interest with the Red and @432HzBob also opened my eyes up to another option. Guess I just need to work some more OT at work:biggrin: Thanks again for the info!

zev.jpg

I agree with what you heard on the top end with the Grado. Seems to be lacking that extra bit I’m looking for. The low end is good, but again not as defined as I’d like. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a great cart and that’s why I wonder if moving up to the 8mz would gain me that little bit more definition I’m seeking. Also having the OM 10 gives me the idea of moving up that chain. I still think I’ll wait til I pick up the Technics SL-D3(hoping this weekend) and try what I have out and go from there. But you definitely sparked my interest with the Red and @432HzBob also opened my eyes up to another option. Guess I just need to work some more OT at work:biggrin: Thanks again for the info!

I get lost in ALL the carts out there. I am using an ancient Empire that came with my table with a replacement stylus. I have often wondered if I am missing something, but do not have a clue as what to "step up" to or if I even need to.

Pickering carts are great, They are moving Iron design. Though able to run at the common MM 47k ohms, They are better with different loading. I use my XV-15/1200 at 200uf, It cuts some of the sharpness, Mellowed it out nicely. If your going to be cart rolling, I suggest a adjustable Phono pre-amp as a must have. Good luck, Enjoy!
Word to that brother. Why finding one of these BOTL early 90's preamps finally made sense of it all.. And at one time i thought i knew...?
yamaha c50.jpg

I get lost in ALL the carts out there. I am using an ancient Empire that came with my table with a replacement stylus. I have often wondered if I am missing something, but do not have a clue as what to "step up" to or if I even need to.

It’s not hard at all to get lost in it. It’s also kinda what I enjoy about it. The key I found, which may not be correct, is to find a cart that has the option for upgradable stylus’s. That way you’ll always have a option with that cart.

Back
Top Bottom