What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Wow! The second generation TA’s are great.

Damn you EPA !!!!!!!! LOL. I suppose it had to done but all that regulation and lack of technology at the time killed. Killed muscle cars back then.

Now with new technology we have cars like the Dodge Hellcat , Ford GT, Corvettes, etc. That are putting out more horse power then any of the classic cars did.
But those old cars have a cool factor about them.

Last edited:
I guess this a good time to open this sealed quad 8-track: Bernstein Conducts Bernstein, Trouble In Tahiti. Plus, it's Dolby! I have 2 Dolby units, but not bothering to switch them in yet for this.
View attachment 1091043 View attachment 1091045 View attachment 1091046 View attachment 1091048
Oops, ya can't win 'em all. Vintage stuff is such a lot of work, but it's part of the fun. I think. Now I get to figure out how to fix it, it sounded great for two minutes.
View attachment 1091050
Eeewwwww! Looks like the pinch roller and capstan need a good cleaning. Good luck retrieving the tape without damage.

I can not speak for all. For me vinyl never stoped. A large part of what I listen to and post here I bought new.
Have kept it moved it and still use it. I have added to it with used vinyl through the years. Now it is nice to have a option when buying new releases on vinyl.
But if the vinyl bubble burst I would bet there are quite a few that will still move forward with it.

As far as price of new vinyl IMHO it has kept up the same pace as everything else. I was paying $5.49 in the 70's for a new release so now I pay 18 - 25 for the average record.

I for one will never get rid of my records. I never will put that much faith in downloading or streaming. Years ago I bought a ton of stuff on my now obsolete iPod Touch. Now I need my iPod to play all that music I paid for. Where as for my records tape or CD I can dig out and play anytime.

I agree with everything you say here. Much like you, I never gave up on the LP, although for a time, circa early 1990s, it was hard for me to always find an LP version of new release, and out of necessity, I'd buy the CD. I've "moved my LPs around" for several decades, including from my hometown to my college dorms and college-life squalid manors, and beyond, throughout every move of my adult career, including an overseas tour in Germany.

Even so, I find that I'm not really all that much of a format snob anymore. I prefer the LP, but if there's music I really want, especially new music, and it's only available on CD, I'm buying the CD.

How does that work? Does your console have an 'input' to connect your JVC system or does your system use some sort of AM signal which your console pics up? I've a '37 deForest Crosley
Nothing that exotic. The old Farnsworth was pretty shot electronically. worn wiring, torn speaker, blah, blah, blah...It never worked in all the time I've known it (it belonged to my Grandmother)
Rather than paying somebody to do a total restore on it, I did it my way, aka the cheap way.

First I pulled out the speaker and it's mounting board and replaced it with a piece of particle board with speaker cut-outs and a shelf for the JVC's speakers to sit on. Also stapled a new grille cloth into place.
004_2.jpg

Here's the right channel speaker moved out of the way.
005.jpg

To light the dial I took a pair of LED nightlights, removed their diffusers and funtacked them into place where the original incandescent bulbs went.
006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Then connected the jury rigged Farnsworth to the JVC and that's it. Lame but effective. Total investment was about $10 since I already had the JVC sitting around not doing anything, and it was a freebie, a service anniversary gift given to me by the company I worked for.
010.jpg

068.jpg

I agree with everything you say here. Much like you, I never gave up on the LP, although for a time, circa early 1990s, it was hard for me to always find an LP version of new release, and out of necessity, I'd buy the CD. I've "moved my LPs around" for several decades, including from my hometown to my college dorms and college-life squalid manors, and beyond, throughout every move of my adult career, including an overseas tour in Germany.

Even so, I find that I'm not really all that much of a format snob anymore. I prefer the LP, but if there's music I really want, especially new music, and it's only available on CD, I'm buying the CD.

I agree with you on everything you said. Thats why I have a huge CD library as well.

Back
Top Bottom