What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

I agree with everything you say here. Much like you, I never gave up on the LP, although for a time, circa early 1990s, it was hard for me to always find an LP version of new release, and out of necessity, I'd buy the CD. I've "moved my LPs around" for several decades, including from my hometown to my college dorms and college-life squalid manors, and beyond, throughout every move of my adult career, including an overseas tour in Germany.

Even so, I find that I'm not really all that much of a format snob anymore. I prefer the LP, but if there's music I really want, especially new music, and it's only available on CD, I'm buying the CD.

I may have mentioned this before, but there are badly mastered vinyl and badly mastered cd's. When both are engineered correctly, they both sound excellent, imho. But, I do agree that no two carts sound exactly the same, but that is also true of cd players. Use your own ears to judge and not what someone else says. The ears are the best test equipment there is.

I get lost in ALL the carts out there. I am using an ancient Empire that came with my table with a replacement stylus. I have often wondered if I am missing something, but do not have a clue as what to "step up" to or if I even need to.

How old is it? Empire carts are the real deal, Depending on what level. Weather your missing something is subjective. Just do what most do, Lots of reading, A realistic budget, Try something that get good reviews. Your gear comes into play on the decision. The reading will help. Lurk around the turntable forum. Believe me, About any combo out there has been tried, And posted.

I may have mentioned this before, but there are badly mastered vinyl and badly mastered cd's. When both are engineered correctly, they both sound excellent, imho. But, I do agree that no two carts sound exactly the same, but that is also true of cd players. Use your own ears to judge and not what someone else says. The ears are the best test equipment there is.

Btw, do you know what most audio manufacturers fear the most?...wait for it.....blind sound critiques.

I agree with what you heard on the top end with the Grado. Seems to be lacking that extra bit I’m looking for. The low end is good, but again not as defined as I’d like. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a great cart and that’s why I wonder if moving up to the 8mz would gain me that little bit more definition I’m seeking. Also having the OM 10 gives me the idea of moving up that chain. I still think I’ll wait til I pick up the Technics SL-D3(hoping this weekend) and try what I have out and go from there. But you definitely sparked my interest with the Red and @432HzBob also opened my eyes up to another option. Guess I just need to work some more OT at work:biggrin: Thanks again for the info!

The 8mz, Turns any Prestige cart from a " Hey that's pretty good" Into a " Holy sheeet, What's is that?"

MI0001852417.jpg

Back
Top Bottom