Any minidsp users?

It's really pretty straigtforward for most of it. The only real complexity, and that still ain't too bad, comes in if you are going to do the room correction type stuff.

What plug-in did you get?

didn't get a plug in. Bought a calibrated mic if that's considered a plug in

I think you can use only one at a time. Looks like the 2x4HDI covers a lot of stuff - presuming you got the miniDSP 2x4 HD, not the original 2x4?

Does anyone know if turning off the Dirac filter means that the signal is no longer being altered in any way? I programed my TV remote to turn the Dirac Live filter on and off to see how it impacts the overall sound. The differences are subtle but I do get a more 3D soundstage with increased instrument separation using the Dirac Live filter. I am mostly wondering if there is any reason to turn this off in normal use.

Does anyone know if turning off the Dirac filter means that the signal is no longer being altered in any way? I programed my TV remote to turn the Dirac Live filter on and off to see how it impacts the overall sound. The differences are subtle but I do get a more 3D soundstage with increased instrument separation using the Dirac Live filter. I am mostly wondering if there is any reason to turn this off in normal use.

I would not know for sure but I would guess it is like any other external processor or sound shaper, use to taste (like a cooking recipe).

Enjoy and let us know if you find any reason to sue one or the other in any given use.

Thanks.

That looks quite doable.

Thanks.
i wrote out the whole process for myself but am out of town...
simple version:
1. set up crossover with crossover points and slopes of your choice using miniDSP software
2. use umik to measure using REW
3. have REW generate corrections to get response to flat
3a. apply room curve - the brain doesn't much care for flat
4. input REW-generated corrections to miniDSP using miniDSP software
5. enjoy!

Fixed it for ya ... :D

PS - I played with a MiniDSP for a while but have gone over to a full software solution using the "convolution kernel" included with jRiver Media Center. Of course, that only handles my digital files, but that's about all I roll nowadays anyway. I DO use REW's text output to target and adjust my parametric EQ for vinyl and SACD - certainly not as accurate but does a nice job of handling the big lumps.

I just installed a minidsp 2x4HD in my system and it make a very audible difference.
Granted my room is less than ideal, but using it in combination with REW made a fantastic upgrade for 200 bucks!

I just installed a minidsp 2x4HD in my system and it make a very audible difference.
Granted my room is less than ideal, but using it in combination with REW made a fantastic upgrade for 200 bucks!

I will need to go a similar route on my installation but will also need to biamp. Would you mind sharing which plugin you ordered for the minidsp?

Thanks

Yep, got the mic and the REW software. Needed to find some help/confirmation on the miniDSP software to get both the equalization I will need and the biamp crossover.

Thanks.

Shelly_D

Crossover is super easy as well so you should be in good shape.

I just ordered the mini-dsp hd with the mic.
I'm pretty anxious.....been putting off something like this for way too long.

I think I understand that if you want to do any type of room correction/measurements, you need something like REW, correct?

But if you simply want to make real time adjustments, the mini dsp can do this on it's own, correct?

You can input any curve into the miniDSP using the app, but trying to tune it by ear? What's the exact center of the frequency range you're trying to adjust. The bandwidth that needs tobe adjusted? Do you need to boost or cut certain frequencies within that range? How many of these type filters do you need to have to clean up your systems audio response across the board? And of course, we're talking different parameters on each channel.

Luck wit day, eh ...

Last edited:
You can input any curve into the miniDSP using the app, but trying to tune it by ear? Luck wit day, eh ...

Thanks sKiZo,
The only purpose for me using the mini-dsp is so i can adjust the slope to my horn loaded subs, that's it.

I should be able to do this with the mini-dsp alone, without REW correct?

Edited my prior post while you were talking ... sorry bout dat ... ;-}

Only thing I'd add is that the bass tends to be where most of the intricate adjustments required for proper response reside. No boom, but total impact with ALL instruments are the goal, and it's amazing how the slightest adjustments can either muddy or clean things up.

Back
Top Bottom