Windows media player problem

brian222

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hope this is ok here. I have many tunes on my old Dell Dimension 4100..WinXP...which all played fine until a recent XP update did something. All are WMA but now the only ones that will play are those with the album art filled in. The rest...which say Paste Art Here...it's a toss up. Some do some don't. What is the solution?

I had to retag a bunch of files and found a way through Windows to do this. It's a bit tedious but it works.

Go to Windows Explorer, right click on a WMA file and click on "Properties".

Then click on the "ID-Tag" tab.

Near the bottom you'll see an area for the album art or "tag".

Click on "Add Album Art", then click on "Choose From Internet" and it will take you on a web search. You may get more than one picture option to choose such as front covers, back covers, different size pictures, etc.... 500 x 500 pixels is the max size you want to select.

Thought about this. It is possible that your WMP database is corrupted. The database can be deleted and WMP will automatically rebuild it.

Close WMP
Organize file structure
Delete/rename/move WMP database
Nominate top folder

I recommend having a top level folder and all music files in subfolders below it. That way you can nominate the top folder and all subfolders will be included automatically.

upload_2018-1-23_8-57-45.png

Find WMP database and delete or rename
The files with WMDB extension are the ones you are looking for. Your folder names will be different using your computer names.

You can change the extension name ("old") delete them or move them to new folder.

upload_2018-1-23_8-54-35.png

Nominate top level folder

In WMP
Menu - File/Manage Libraries/Music
upload_2018-1-23_8-59-33.png

And / Or here

upload_2018-1-23_9-0-29.png

WMP will automatically rebuild the library.

Back
Top Bottom