Exile On Main Street 1/2 Speed Master 1/12/18

parman

Music Junkie
Anyone listen to this reissue yet? I see it's a 180gm release on Interscope, I don't know anything about Interscope.I saw it on the Popmarket site, I don't know if there are better deals out there or not.

DeepDiscount.com has it for $42.75
I want it, but was hoping to hear some user-feedback first....I hate to get stung, spending that kinda dough for a mediocre pressing....

I saw this too and was interested. A search provides some background as this is a part of a reissue series. Fremer thinks it's crap. Viewing some info seems to provide only a bunch of benefits of half-speed mastering, nothing about the source tapes from which it is made. Of course, that being unknown, the LP could still sound great - who knows. It's a shame when companies are not forthcoming with pertinent details.

I have been "burned" too many times buying "audiophile" pressings, remasters, re-mixes, etc. I don't mind dropping $50 or even a couple Benjamins on a great recording, but now I wait for a while for the "dust to settle" and the reviews come in.

Anyone listen to this reissue yet? I see it's a 180gm release on Interscope, I don't know anything about Interscope.I saw it on the Popmarket site, I don't know if there are better deals out there or not.

I'm not seeing anything about a new release in 2018. Could this be a new listing for the May 2016 Abbey Road half speed master?

The Abbey Road is clean and well packaged, but my 1987 pressing is more dynamic and has more snap and depth to it.

^ kinda weird they would have a new release date for a older reissue but maybe it's a 2nd pressing of that 2016 release. Like other have said, not enough info. Was the 2016 on interscope?

^ kinda weird they would have a new release date for a older reissue but maybe it's a 2nd pressing of that 2016 release. Like other have said, not enough info. Was the 2016 on interscope?

Interscope Records is an American major record label. An imprint of Interscope Geffen A&M Records, its parent company is Universal Music Group, a subsidiary of Vivendi S.A.

There's no mention of Interscope on my 1/2 speed master, but the listing does show Universal Music International. I'm guessing the 1/12/2018 date is a distribution deal, not a new pressing or mastering.

Hey!
After the dust settles
Its Exile On Main Street
How bad/good does it have to get
In comparison to the pop and crackle weather worn , torn and frayed , put away wet still endearing original~

KeninDC might have it or at least heard it.

I have not heard it. I have read nothing special about this whole 1/2 speed mastered series, so I have avoided it (including Abbey Road). Also, according to what I have read, it is cut from the 2010 digital master owned by the Universal Music Group (which owns Interscope). I have heard these Universal digital Stones versions and they are compressed to the point where all nuance and range is lost.

Original US Artisan LP pressings sound great. Worth searching for.

Just a quick note--I've had really bad experience with any of Universal's vinyl releases. I realize it's not to everyone's taste here, but Universal released a Carpenters vinyl box right before the holidays in 2017 that was of such poor quality, it was recalled and pulled from Amazon. (They did offer free replacements, but had this bizarre policy where they wanted you to "destroy" the record and send photo proof of it before they would send a new one.) I have two copies of On Every Street from the EU, part of the recent Dire Straits reissue program on 180g, and they were pressed at GZ Vinyl; beautiful mastering by Chris Bellman, with visible and audible scratches and scuffs included free of charge. In their dubious Back To Black series, Zenyatta Mondatta sounds terrible--lifeless, and muffled. The Nirvana Nevermind reissue was compressed to hell and back, taking away any sparkle or punch. I have a couple of their Diana Krall reissues, and they are OK...but the ORG 45 RPM versions pretty much kill these Universal versions in terms of sonics (they sound a bit flat and lifeless to me); to their credit, they are at least flat and mostly quiet.

Thanks for the info on the Abbey Road re issue as I have an interest. I have Abbey Road 1/2 speed pressings of Disraeli Gears Cream Mono and Marvin Gaye What's Going On triple record set. Very happy with the results.

Back
Top Bottom