Cheap sound absorbers, what have you tried?

manu et deo

I'm loving it!
Subscriber
I found out if I put a throw pillow behind my head, it helps to control those pesky rear wall reflections and is in no way permanent. Any body else tried something silly or simple that just worked?

Roxul RockBoard 60 makes very cheap and efficient sound absorbers. This product doesn't cause skin irritation like fiberglass. You can cut it to size with a bread knife and a steel ruler.

Did you know that cubicle divider walls are made of sound absorption material. That is one of the selling points. Keep you eye on CL for cubicles and dividers. A couple years ago I found 15 of them for free. I gave a lot of them away to my audio friends.

250px-CubeSpace.jpg

Area rugs hung as "tapestries" are great for reducing reflections and can be "aesthetically acceptable" if WAF is a big deal. I live alone, but use them because I don't like the "studio waffle" sound absorption panels (the dog doesn't care either way) :)

15504571600233643436238225573629.jpg I've stacked extra couch pillows in room corners, as bass traps. Not sure if makes audible diff.

Edit:
I've borrowed the body pillows idea posted below. $8.25 plus $5.00 pillow case for each, at Wallyworld. In corners of front wall. May be hearing differance.

Last edited:
Glenn Pheonix of Westlake Audio simply gets fiberglass insulation from the big box store and stacks it in the corners until the room measures out considerably better. Use the non-itchy stuff of course. This is a very inexpensive (and not terribly attractive) way to deal with bass build-up in the corners. You can also hang it from the ceiling between your speakers and the side wall (such that it will kill 1st reflections - use a mirror to align)and that is amazing in what it does for imaging and soundstage. These are inexpensive ways to treat your room (use the least effective amount possible so as to not deaden the room), but the are very low on the WAF scale. Glenn has been involved in some of the best studios ever built, so I think he knows what he is doing. Anyway, his demo rooms always sound very good and he doesn't use a bunch of really pricey acoustic treatments.

I found out if I put a throw pillow behind my head, it helps to control those pesky rear wall reflections and is in no way permanent. Any body else tried something silly or simple that just worked?
You discovered a simple solution to your problem that doesn't cost anything. Congratulations. There'll be no more subscription offers from The Absolute Sound, though.

Last edited:
What are we aiming for? Is the idea here to deaden the music? I know this is a really dumb question but I never have understood room treatment.
R1

What are we aiming for? Is the idea here to deaden the music? I know this is a really dumb question but I never have understood room treatment.
R1

Yep...to deaden the music. Put the pillows and rugs and blankets and egg-crate foam right over the speakers... stack them high and deep. Makes the music sound far away.

Sorry:angel:

no

It is more to deaden the room.

https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/acoustic-treatment-101/
https://www.acousticfields.com/sound-treatment-vs-sound-proofing/
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/beginners-guide-acoustic-treatment

Back
Top Bottom