Butcher Block Flexy Rack Build - Finished

No advantage to using thicker stock all-thread. I "cheaped out" and used half inch. Also used was half inch thick plywood. For overkill, I did use 1.5" fender washers and had no failures on any shelf.

EDIT, Please read this thread introduction:

Original post was corrupted and can't be edited.
This is a step by step build of a double Flexy Rack. I'm not a woodworker as you will see by afew errors made. I started with birch butcher blocks which were the inspiration for project. They were the perfect size. So no major woodworking tools/shop needed!

I listed parts and costs at end of build, on page 5.
Bought three 25" x 48" x 1-1/2" butcher blocks for double Flexy Rack. Were on sale at Menards for $50. Could not pass up. Will Show build of three shelf unit.

There's a side discussion of audio merits of hockey pucks, that has kept this thread near top. Please keep it civil so readers can use thread info for thier Flexi build.

Last edited:
Go get 'em, Old Guy8! Should turn out beautiful. I used 3/4 on my shelf, and it was absurd. 1/2 is plenty. Good luck!

[I OTE="manu et deo, post: 11226640, member: 137303"]Nice idea, can't wait to see it[/QUOTE]

I'm just going to buy the shelf material now, while price is low. Have basement to finish first.

Reactions: gmc
Sure, that will be nice when done.
I can't say as I've seen rubber coated washers, but there alternatives.
I did use rubber washers between the normal steel washers and the wood above, that's an easy way out.
Personally, I don't like the exposed thread and covered mine with copper tubing left over from a plumbing project. I didn't have enough tho, and had to buy more tubing and copper isn't exactly cheap. But doable and looks nice.

Attachments

• Flexi-rack_JP04.jpg
    Flexi-rack_JP04.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 451
  • Flexi-rack_JP05.jpg
    Flexi-rack_JP05.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 470
  • Flexi-rack_JP06.jpg
    Flexi-rack_JP06.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 442
Sure, that will be nice when done.
I can't say as I've seen rubber coated washers, but there alternatives.
I did use rubber washers between the normal steel washers and the wood above, that's an easy way out.
Personally, I don't like the exposed thread and covered mine with copper tubing left over from a plumbing project. I didn't have enough tho, and had to buy more tubing and copper isn't exactly cheap. But doable and looks nice.

Dingman,
That looks very nice. Plywood is a great material and pops with stain. Hopeing that butcher block will also.
I may look for thread-on hard rubber casters. I like to be able to move rack. Will be on vinyl planks over concrete.

How IS that basement coming along? I remember that thread, was terribly sad to read.

Onward,
It is now getting done. I'll start a thread on it in Members section soon. Plasterer starts tomorrow , over cement board first five inches, then drywall up to 24" that was removed.
I replaced backwater valve with gasketed one. Added a sump pit and pump next to floor drain for added safety. Bathroom has cement board, tile and I have contigency plan to channel to that sump if valve leaks and floor drain plugs. Not going through same disaster if can avoid. Insurance was big help.

Thanks for asking. It's going to look nice with 14' x 23 audio room. Vinyl planks replacing carpet. They are washable. Double barndoor to next room.

Last edited:
I used hose washers underneath my fender washers. You can get a package of I think 25 in the plumbing dept of HD. They squash out nicely but the problem is they get hung up on the threads if you need to adjust the shelves.

Get a roll of Frost King rubber pipe wrap insulation. It's eighth of an inch thick, soft rubber foam in a two inch wide roll. Self adhesive side to adhere to your washers, and it's cheaper than rubber washers.

91imPRUSioL._SL1500_.jpg

"(Not related to or major stockholder in Menards.)"

HA! And I thought for sure you were Paul Menard..... :)
Thats a really good price for the butcher block. Should be a fun project.
I have some tools but not a drill press so afraid I can't help much....

IMG_20180118_201403.jpg
Appears to be 1/8" radius edge on 1-1/2" edge, but long edges are less consistant smaller radius. All surfaces are smooth sanded.

Maybe a cherry tone stain.
Wonder what type of finish would resist marks from rubber feet of gear best.

Bob,
Its the price and perfect size of the boards that started this project. Thought maybe another AKer might be also interested in building one from them. A $165 in wood including 8.25% taxes. Stain, finish and black oxided or blued hardware, feet or casters. MAY look better than $500 Salamander. Or, maybe not. They call thier shelves "wood".
The 1-1/2" shelves should support 100# each, IMO.
I'll be a couple months getting to this project.

I used hockey pucks and threaded rods. Just drill a hole through the middle of the puck. Pictured is a leveling jack but you can use them as posts, use a jam nut and washer to support the puck. Pucks available in bulk.

stereojack.jpg

Unfortunately, not related to Bert or Jane Blain of Farm and Fleet either.

Back
Top Bottom